Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem with car modem

Views : 18532

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2019, 08:22   #31
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
Hi to all. Same issue/problem here.
I will post back here when Volvo introduce a software update to fix this problem.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 13:13   #32
steladamo

I have the same problem after my first annual service and the module upgrades that they performed at the dealership.

Dealer said that he wants the car for a day to stay overnight in order to connect it with the factory. He did experience that before. So it is a first for me and him.

For the time being the solution of deleting the mobile data APN seems to work fine.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 14:16   #33
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by steladamo View Post
I have the same problem after my first annual service and the module upgrades that they performed at the dealership.

Dealer said that he wants the car for a day to stay overnight in order to connect it with the factory. He did experience that before. So it is a first for me and him.

For the time being the solution of deleting the mobile data APN seems to work fine.

Thanks. It works now. It's a temporary solution i hope. Annoying but for now it works.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 14:19   #34
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
I will post back here when Volvo introduce a software update to fix this problem.
You do that please. Thank you.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 16:57   #35
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steladamo View Post

Is it common to all models?

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jan 9th, 2019 at 17:01.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 19:43   #36
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
Is it common to all models?
The fact that it is software related, I would say that it has the potential to effect all models that operate the latest SPA Sensus system, but only those that have had the latest updated version applied from approx Nov/Dec onwards that included the VCM module update.
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 13:00   #37
steladamo

Well from this thread it appears that the OP has an XC90 and I have an XC60 so it must be common to all SPA models
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 16:02   #38
Lexman8
Premier Member

There are different hardware versions of the VCM module with, presumably, different firmware versions too so I don't think we can make any assumptions about which cars might be affected.
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 20:45   #39
stevej69

Default Another Modem Issue

Hi All,

Glad i found this post. I have a MY19 Inscription Pro XC90 T8 with pretty much every option. I to have an issue with the modem after my first service (performed in November).

I've not tried the APN reset but my Modem does randomly connect, despite the SIM showing full signal AND my On Call App working.

The car has been back in 4 times for this issue along with the fact that i randomly use GPS Location. The GPS is the main issue as it affects the inbuilt Nav and any app on CarPlay, this causes of masses of issues, including speed limit warnings when it thinks im on a different road.

The last visit (last week) the VCM recall update was applied, but this didn't fix the GPS issue or the Modem Issue (both are still randomly dropping out)

I sat with the Master Tech today who agreed the issue was present along with the fact that the in car OnCall didnt work.

The dealer called me to say there is no fix and they didn't know when there would be a fix. I've refused to collect my car and i'm keeping the courtesy car until they fix this as in my opinion it's unacceptable to pay 70k for a car and it not be working

Does anyone have the same issue with GPS as well as the Modem?

Last edited by stevej69; Jan 11th, 2019 at 21:12.
stevej69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 21:57   #40
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej69 View Post
Does anyone have the same issue with GPS as well as the Modem?
As one of the originators of this thread, I personally nor have I heard of anyone else with BOTH issues.
But my master tech did tell me that the VCM Module which is the Vehicle Connectivity Module does also interface with GPS for the Nav system.
The only positive from Volvo’s situation is that the issue is purely software related having only appeared on cars after the Nov 18 software upgrades at service time as until then we all appeared to have no issues. But as with all things software, a fix is not as easy as going back to the last working VCM software version due to the interconnectivity of all the different modules many of which were also updated at the same time.