Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 No AWD Want to report this to BBC Watch Dog

Views : 100651

Replies : 432

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 18:28   #411
Low Ranger

Hi, new to the forum and new to an XC90, just bought one, tried it on a wet bank (as per video above) and yes no drive to rear. popped into my normal local garage and dropped front wheels onto the rollers, again, just sat there and span. (The rear axle should have pulled me out). Went in for examination at garage i bought it from. They recon its the transfer box. So will wait and see when it goes in on Monday.

Richie
Low Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 21:38   #412
AndySaxton

So...the dealer has been awesome!

Call today to say they are sending someone up to Newcastle to pick my car up, swap it over with a courtesy car, take it away, fix it and then bring it back...and the best thing...it's all covered by them.

There's lots of bad comments about dealers, but I've got to be honest they've very much surprised me, and I'm happy!
AndySaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndySaxton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 09:37   #413
jenko2210

Just spent along time reading all the posts here and here is my question, having gone under my 2004 xc90 d5 and done the prop test with all wheels on the ground and cannot turn it so in theory ok' what I couldn't pick up in the previous post was is this problem affected manuals/geartronic or both?????

Jenko
jenko2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 10:13   #414
Low Ranger

My prop doesnt turn but no drive either so you need to physically drive it and see if rear spins i think.

R
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 11:12   #415
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenko2210 View Post
Just spent along time reading all the posts here and here is my question, having gone under my 2004 xc90 d5 and done the prop test with all wheels on the ground and cannot turn it so in theory ok' what I couldn't pick up in the previous post was is this problem affected manuals/geartronic or both?????

Jenko
The splined sleeve and the angle box are after the gearbox so both manual and auto.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 14:44   #416
Gazdok
Master Member

For those who are still considering to report no AWD to someone, Which? Magazine are planning to report more commonly occuring problems to VOSA if I remember correctly. They say VOSA is still a fairly toothless government body when it comes to fighting the car manufacturers.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 00:08   #417
AndySaxton

I went under the car several times, and couldn't move the prop...well...I say couldn't...there was about 5 degrees of deflection either way, but I believe this is acceptable?? Or at least I've been told it is. So the failure might not be mechanical...or if it is mechanical, it must be at the back end of the car.

I've just completely rebuilt a Land Rover Discovery and have been a LR fan for years, and know how that 4x4 system works, just haven't had the time to work out the XC90's yet.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 00:23   #418
Low Ranger

Been told mines been fixed, it was the splined coupling stripped at transfer box , Get some pics when oic car up in morning. Hope it will be alright now.

R
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 23:03   #419
Low Ranger

Here's the stripped coupling.

Old Jun 27th, 2013, 23:09   #420
AndySaxton

So...back from working away all week. Picked up the xc90 from my parents (and where the dealer had left it) and the AWD system works! So too the broken wing mirror mechanism. Alleluia!

However, it wasn't without woe. I got an email at work on Monday saying they were delivering me a Mercedes 200tdi Sport as a courtesy car (Wooo...I thought) then I read on...I had to insure it myself (Boo...I thought...and how nice to give me an hours notice!). So £50 later I had insured the Merc for the 26 mile drive to my parents, where I left it for them to pick up whilst I went away for the week. Bah!

Anyway, my XC90 is working how it should, and although they still haven't sorted out the Volvo On Call button (so that's nearly a month where it hasn't worked), they did manage to sort the clunking noise, which must have been the drivetrain.

I'll now get down off my soap-box...