Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MAF Sensor Wanted for my 2001 2.0T

Views : 3312

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2014, 14:35   #1
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Default MAF Sensor Wanted for my 2001 2.0T

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year to you all !

I'm in need of a "known to be good" MAF for my 2001 V40 2.0T (B4204T3)

Looking at VIDA the part number for 2001 onwards is 30611532

Thanks Very much !

Neil

London, UK
Current Car - 1999 T4 V40 Ph1 66k AKA "Heather"
My Previous Car: V40 2.0T 2000 Volvo V40 2.0T (B4204T3)
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 15:55   #2
syahizad

i have one..
syahizad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 15:57   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Some info incase its useful

Does your MAF have a 3 pin plug?, it should put out an analog voltage (on the middle pin) somewhere from 0.8v(tickover) to 1.5V+ as engine revs increase.

Its worth checking you have +12v supply to the MAF (outer pins), this isnt present with just the ignition on but +12v should be here once the engine is cranked/running..

There is from memory a grey multiway plug low down in the engine bay that can cause problems, worth locating this and using some switch cleaner and a few plugs/unplugs to make sure its not a poor connection here causing your troubles..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 16:10   #4
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Thanks Thassos I will go and have look and check the voltage

I took my car to Gatos' house and we plugged it up to his DICE and it looks like there is a problem with the MAP on the inlet manifold and the MAF because is was cutting out on idle but when we unplugged the MAF it idled fine if a little rich smelling.

Driving it home with the MAF disconnected didn't allow me to put my foot down to accelerate properly at all and if i did i would lose power completely and i had to feather the throttle to get it to pick up again.

And thanks syahizad but surely sending from so far away will cost more than the unit is worth ?

London, UK
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 18:07   #5
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Does your MAF have a 3 pin plug?, it should put out an analog voltage (on the middle pin) somewhere from 0.8v(tickover) to 1.5V+ as engine revs increase.

Its worth checking you have +12v supply to the MAF (outer pins), this isnt present with just the ignition on but +12v should be here once the engine is cranked/running..

There is from memory a grey multiway plug low down in the engine bay that can cause problems, worth locating this and using some switch cleaner and a few plugs/unplugs to make sure its not a poor connection here causing your troubles..
Ok had a quick look because it raining pretty hard out there,
The MAF has a 3 pin plug there was 12v on one of the pins and 0.07v on the middle pin (forgot to rev it to check if it went up) and nothing on the 3rd.
I could see the big greay connector but couldnt work out how to unplug it, what looked like the push release clip wouldnt move or release the connector when i pushed it.

London, UK
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 22:00   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile MAF or wiring to?

I agree, not good weather for poking around under car bonnets..

It sounds like the power is getting to the sensor ok, so does seem like the MAF isnt putting out a voltage, Re the bulkhead connector - most connectors have locking clips usually something you have to press in before being able to separate one side, you could try testing the MAF indoors by applying 12v (in same polarity as wiring in car) then just put the dvm on the centre pin (this would rule a out a short or similar on the wiring from MAF to ECU) then try blowing some air past the sensor, a working sensor would show an increasing voltage with airflow past it.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 22:14   #7
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
I agree, not good weather for poking around under car bonnets..

It sounds like the power is getting to the sensor ok, so does seem like the MAF isnt putting out a voltage, Re the bulkhead connector - most connectors have locking clips usually something you have to press in before being able to separate one side, you could try testing the MAF indoors by applying 12v (in same polarity as wiring in car) then just put the dvm on the centre pin (this would rule a out a short or similar on the wiring from MAF to ECU) then try blowing some air past the sensor, a working sensor would show an increasing voltage with airflow past it.
Ok thanks, its quite late in the evening now so I will try on the car again tomorrow rain or not !
When i went to Gatos' house the readin from DICE while we were running was just one fixed value so it certainly looked like it was stuck, but other parameters we were monitoring seemed really slow to update so the software seems a little laggy but im pretty convinced there is something wrong with the MAF

London, UK
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 22:50   #8
malteser
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil H View Post
Hi Folks,

Happy New Year to you all !

I'm in need of a "known to be good" MAF for my 2001 V40 2.0T (B4204T3)

Looking at VIDA the part number for 2001 onwards is 30611532

Thanks Very much !

Neil
I'm pretty sure it is the same Maf that the T4 has.
Have you sorted one out yet?
malteser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 22:52   #9
Neil H
New V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by malteser View Post
I'm pretty sure it is the same Maf that the T4 has.
Have you sorted one out yet?
Hi, no not yet, do you have one?

London, UK
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 23:01   #10
malteser
Master Member

Hi Neil yeah I got one that is working a 100% just got to check the part numbers in the morning but I'm pretty sure they are the same.
malteser is offline   Reply With Quote