Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Systems included in software update

Views : 953

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 18:12   #1
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Systems included in software update

Got the attached from the dealer today after my car was serviced.

I wish these updates would retain my personal settings. Gear changes are all over the place now.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Software update modules v2.jpg (285.6 KB, 153 views)
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 18:40   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Got the attached from the dealer today after my car was serviced.
That paper says nothing
It's just a picture of all of the control modules in the car that can accept software updates.
Designed to impress you with technology.
You may not have all of those modules fitted to your car
And if fitted, it may well be that not all modules get updated during the software update.

So you still don't really know what gets updated, even when the dealer puts that paper in your hand.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 19:26   #3
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
That paper says nothing
It's just a picture of all of the control modules in the car that can accept software updates.
And if fitted, it may well be that not all modules get updated during the software update.

So you still don't really know what gets updated, even when the dealer puts that paper in your hand.
Calm down. I think we all know that.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 20:02   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

Had mine serviced today and software updates applied, immediately noticeable is the 'systems checklist' at start-up and a 'passenger airbag on' notice which has to be confirmed by the driver via the right hand central button.

The collision avoidance activation has moved from the IntelliSafe settings menu to the left swipe switching screen (green toggle windows).

The service manager also said that an audio software update had been done and that my previously set tone/bass/balance settings will have been lost. He was correct so I've simply reset them to my preferences.

Other than those, nothing else is obvious.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 20:26   #5
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Had mine serviced today and software updates applied, immediately noticeable is the 'systems checklist' at start-up and a 'passenger airbag on' notice which has to be confirmed by the driver via the right hand central button.

The collision avoidance activation has moved from the IntelliSafe settings menu to the left swipe switching screen (green toggle windows).

The service manager also said that an audio software update had been done and that my previously set tone/bass/balance settings will have been lost. He was correct so I've simply reset them to my preferences.

Other than those, nothing else is obvious.
Exactly the same here plus the gearbox behaviour.

I can't seem to get the sound to be as good as it was before the update. It's gonna need more fine tuning.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 20:56   #6
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
and a 'passenger airbag on' notice which has to be confirmed by the driver via the right hand central button.
What? Every time you start the car? Nooooooooooooooooo
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 21:00   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
That paper says nothing

On the new range of cars from the XC90 onwards with the service software the whole system is updated which is most modules , as time goes on there will be less of course . Lots up minor updates released all the time at present ..

The cars from about 2010 to 2015 get updates too but far fewer as they are sorted now , maybe the odd CEM and ECM update .

cars before 2010 have virtually nothing unless a new fault comes to light .

If you are interested which modules have been updated just ask before they do it , they have a list in front of them when doing it .

No one knows what exactly the updates do unless it is software to cure a particular fault on a service bulletin . The service free software is a package , you cannot pick and choose what to update .. It just updates particular modules that volvo choose .
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 09:07   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Only the first time after the update on my car but that was with the passenger seat belt 'buckled' (as were all the seat belts) when I picked it up. The passenger seat belt has been undone ever since so maybe it depends on the seat belt status? It seems pointless otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 19:07   #9
ergonomist

For me it was just the once. I've had passengers since then. I think its to make sure you're aware of the airbag status. They don't want the liability of changing it during the update and you not knowing (understandably). Once you've acknowledged the current state you've taken ownership of it - it's up to you what you do with it.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 12:04   #10
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
No, don't panic, just at the first start-up after service, presumably it also appears if you ever deactivate/activate the passenger airbag at any time?
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post: