Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best ODBII reader for 2016 XC60 D4?

Views : 729

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2022, 12:08   #1
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Default Best ODBII reader for 2016 XC60 D4?

Can anyone advise a good code reader for my XC60? Just want something to periodically check for early signs of any potential EGR cooler issues so I can get pro-active cleaning done rather than wait for the engine light or the tortoise.

What's the best balance of functionality/ease of use and of course price?

Thanks in advance.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 10:21   #2
spaceman2844

I use Car Scanner free version (Android, although also available for iPhone) together with an ELM327 bluetooth dongle (£6 on the usual auction site). This works well and will pick up any EGR errors (including pending codes, which then become confirmed after a certain number of drive cycles). I'm currently using the free version but will upgrade at some stage. It will also measure the oil level in VEA engines, which is useful if you decide to do oil changes yourself.

Not sure I'd do proactive cleaning unless there was an error code. I did the DIY cooler cleaning a few weeks ago following the excellent Youtube video, but it's a lot of work unless it really needs done.

My car is now 8 years old and had the definitive Volvo fix about 5 years ago (including new pipework and software). I'm not entirely sure if my car has the latest version of the cooler though as I don't know when this was introduced. Maybe I was just unlucky getting the code again following the dealer fix. The cooler was fairly clogged up, although the valve looked OK.

Last edited by spaceman2844; Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:26.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 12:48   #3
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I use Car Scanner free version (Android, although also available for iPhone) together with an ELM327 bluetooth dongle (£6 on the usual auction site). This works well and will pick up any EGR errors (including pending codes, which then become confirmed after a certain number of drive cycles). I'm currently using the free version but will upgrade at some stage. It will also measure the oil level in VEA engines, which is useful if you decide to do oil changes yourself.

Not sure I'd do proactive cleaning unless there was an error code. I did the DIY cooler cleaning a few weeks ago following the excellent Youtube video, but it's a lot of work unless it really needs done.

My car is now 8 years old and had the definitive Volvo fix about 5 years ago (including new pipework and software). I'm not entirely sure if my car has the latest version of the cooler though as I don't know when this was introduced. Maybe I was just unlucky getting the code again following the dealer fix. The cooler was fairly clogged up, although the valve looked OK.
Mine is 6 years old and at 95k miles. It has also had the definitive full fix as far as I can tell (newer top hose straight to block). Like you I don't know which version of cooler is on although I know my valve is moving freely as I checked it by popping the plastic cover off the bottom and moved the lever by hand easily.

I got the tortoise immediately after the dealer replaced the EGR pipe on the back off the engine (exhaust manifold take-off). The pipe had split and was chucking out smoke which was drawn into the cabin through the heater vents (gave me a shock seeing smoke start pouring out of the dash vents!). So dealer replaced the pipe and the smoke stopped but the tortoise appeared the very next day. They then said the EMAP pipe was blocked causing the tortoise and that the other fault with the EGR pipe had been masking the problem (sounds unlikely to me).

Odd thing was that they were extra helpful this time - gave me a brand new V60 estate courtesy car without any request from me and although they had my car for a few days (said the banjo nut was taking longer to free) the bill was only £90 as they obtained goodwill contribution from Volvo (again without me asking).

Maybe I'm too cynical and should just take it at face value as genuine kindness and customer service but the invoice had no detail on at all and just says replace blocked EMAP pipe.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 13:03   #4
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Thanks for the reply @spaceman2844

Is this the one to go for?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223293585...YAAOSwkNFcXFYz

or this version...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185219547...gAAOSwSpFgsIT5

Top one says version 2.1 and bottom one version 1.5 although I have no idea what difference is.

Cheers,
Deano.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 14:21   #5
spaceman2844

This is the one I bought:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363322230987

I'm using it with an Android phone which works fine. I seem to remember reading on this forum that the version number is more important if you're using an iPhone.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 15:46   #6
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
This is the one I bought:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363322230987

I'm using it with an Android phone which works fine. I seem to remember reading on this forum that the version number is more important if you're using an iPhone.
Cheers bud, that seller was out of stock so ordered this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223963273846

Be interested to see what it picks up (although the car has been with dealer twice recently so I would have hoped they would have checked for any residual faults then).

My local indy read the codes the other day after I got a low battery message and he said there were some errors relating to door modules but nothing relating to the engine or the alternator/battery.