Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hands free recommendation

Views : 635

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2015, 22:11   #1
imy

Default Hands free recommendation

Evening all,

As i'm using my car more im needing a hands free kit.
After several searches on the site a few of you are using a Grom kit or a Parrot kit.

I was hoping if someone could provide me with the following information:

Which kit works well on bluetooth, also the sound quality in particular the mic is acceptable enough so that the other person on the end of the phone can hear me clearly - the reason i ask this as ive been on the receiving end of built in handsfree kits and its not brilliant sound quality.

Music. Which ones can play music from your phone via Bluetooth, is this saved music or can it play from youtube etc,

Now after a visit to the local halfords the chap told me he could fit a kit but i was told id rather go else where as the sound will only come from the front two speakers and he did not want to splice the wires to get any of there kits to work with the all of my speakers including the sub. Is this true or a load of crap?

Also can i use buttons the steering to control the music and or answering calls from the my phone?

I have a sony xperia Z3 - incase that helps.

Many thanks

Imy
imy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 22:15   #2
Thanatos
VOC Member

the io play 2 will do everything you want to do and its a good piece of kit have a read of how we did it in my car here
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 06:25   #3
charles p

I installed a Grom in my car - first just the hard wired iPod connector and then I "upgraded" to the Bluetooth and phone kit. Very easy to fit, works well, the phone quality is great (as good as the OEM kit in my '59 D5). Very good for the money.
Music wise it plays from audio and podcasts. Never tried streaming sources like YouTube or Spotify -I always assume a lack of bandwidth will stop the fun!

Charles
charles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 08:40   #4
Benji1985

i also have a grom kit, the hardest bit was getting the stereo out other than that two wires and just positioning it, can not fault it.
the company i used was The Carputer-Shop.co.uk i sat i talked to them and they answered all my questions.

Ben
Benji1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 08:54   #5
warlord0

I've just been through the same exercise. I settled on a Volvotech MMMi unit with Parrot 9100.

I kept looking at the Grom and didn't like the way it used the CD player interface. I wasn't bothered about the loss of the CD player, just that it seemed quirky to navigate and select tracks.

I was also put off by not being able to have both USB stick and iPod plugged in at the same time and switch between them as I do that quite a lot.

I didn't really want a parrot as I wanted nothing extra in the cabin, but after seeing it in action I decided it was a very good option. I don't have to use the screen or have remote on show, but it will probably make life easier if I do.

The important thing to me was ensuring that the Parrot wasn't using it's own amp to drive the speakers. So seeing that the Volvotech MMMi unit drives the audio digitally to the amp settled that for me.

I only ordered last week and am awaiting it's arrival. The install seems pretty straight forward from a wiring point of view. The difficulty seems to be in locating the stuff on the end of it. I'm tempted to put the iPod/USB in the centre console behind the handbrake, but that really doesn't seem like a good place for unobtrusively getting the wiring to.

Last edited by warlord0; Jun 29th, 2015 at 08:57.
warlord0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 09:35   #6
DT19
Master Member

Another vote for the Grom BT kit here.
Very easy to fit in 20 minutes (apart from routing the mic) and it works perfectly.
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 13:34   #7
charles p

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT19 View Post
Another vote for the Grom BT kit here.
Very easy to fit in 20 minutes (apart from routing the mic) and it works perfectly.
I found routing the mic a 5 minute job - and even my wife thought it was a very neat job, so it must have been perfect

Charles
charles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2015, 18:58   #8
blueacid

I went for a cheaper option: I got the Grom aux-in kit and I use that for music (Bluetooth streaming isn't quite as good as a cable, just.. in general). So there's a cable going to my phone's headphone socket.

I then simply wear one of those headsets. Not slick but easy enough
blueacid is offline   Reply With Quote