Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Climate change

Views : 5200

Replies : 88

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 16:44   #41
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
For turning every non-technical discussion into a protracted argument?

Here's some good news to cheer everyone up... https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...box=1574337590
Surely tis the purpose of the forum, as I'm sure Sulla and Cicero would agree.
"Nothing is so unbelievable that oratory cannot make it acceptable."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 17:25   #42
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
But you didn't put the world to rights you gave up and took the easy option. Had you continued your discussion you could of conceivably altered one anothers minds, and certainly understood each others position better.
All debate should bring greater knowlage and understanding to the participants, even if inconclusive. Indeed inconclusive debate is often the most informative, for it forces both sides to examine their own argument as well as the others.
Accept nothing, question everything, and do your own research, then and only then make your mind up, always remembering a minority of one can still be right.

Paul.
Yet there seems a general tactic of rubishing the others ideas rather than engaging. Sadly, most debate, most politics, seem binary these days which is the epitome of small minded small ambition thinking. Positive scepticism is indeed the way forward. I had this discussion with two of my classes today. Question everything, but do so from an equally informed position.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. Gotta love j.s. Mill
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 17:33   #43
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I can see both Paul's and 'Sotosound's points in this matter. Many years ago, I had a clerk who not only had a different faith to my own, but was also of a different (whisper it) political persuasion to me.

We each recognised that we would never change one another's views, but we also accepted and respected each other's right to own them. That did not stop us being friends as well as colleagues. Indeed, we often battled it out over the chess board at lunchtimes while, as Paul put it, putting the world to rights.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 17:38   #44
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I can see both Paul's and 'Sotosound's points in this matter. Many years ago, I had a clerk who not only had a different faith to my own, but was also of a different (whisper it) political persuasion to me.

We each recognised that we would never change one another's views, but we also accepted and respected each other's right to own them. That did not stop us being friends as well as colleagues. Indeed, we often battled it out over the chess board at lunchtimes while, as Paul put it, putting the world to rights.

Regards, John.
My dad and I have a similar relationship!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 18:16   #45
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
That's easily and quickly solved. Burn the heretic!
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 18:55   #46
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
That's easily and quickly solved. Burn the heretic!
Sorry Whippy,correct me if I am misinformed,is heretic Hebrew toast?

Regards,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 19:30   #47
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Sorry Whippy,correct me if I am misinformed,is heretic Hebrew toast?

Regards,Keith.

O'h Keith, yoooooooooooooooo are in sooooooooooooooooo much trouble now.

Somebody is bound to be offended and if not, they will find someone to be offended on their behalf.

Hey ho, I'm still your mate.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 20:26   #48
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
But you didn't put the world to rights you gave up and took the easy option. Had you continued your discussion you could of conceivably altered one anothers minds, and certainly understood each others position better.
All debate should bring greater knowlage and understanding to the participants, even if inconclusive. Indeed inconclusive debate is often the most informative, for it forces both sides to examine their own argument as well as the others.
Accept nothing, question everything, and do your own research, then and only then make your mind up, always remembering a minority of one can still be right.

Paul.
Firstly, we weren’t trying to put the world to rights. We were exchanging viewpoints.

Secondly, we recognised that we would never agree but realised that this was less important than our friendship. That’s not the easy way, it’s the sensible and practical way. People have to keep talking. Would you choose feud or friendship?

One of the massive weaknesses of humanity is a failure to learn from other people’s mistakes or from history. Having said that, humanity isn’t that hot at being honest about the past, either. A bit of a toughie, really.

I can’t, however, just pursue a policy of accepting nothing since this would leave me with very little to go on.

Instead, I try to evaluate the person who’s saying stuff and also evaluate the topic in question. For instance, I’m more likely to trust a well-mannered motor salesman if he’s not selling me a car.

Also for me, many politicians are simply career politicians, and often everything is simply viewed in terms of its political value. So I might trust a politician if they’re offering advice about tactics, but not about anything to do with much else. To see how good politicians are at other stuff, read up on the Bristol Brabazon airliner and how many lives were disrupted for it.

As a grandfather, I’ve now lived long enough to be able to evaluate a lot of stuff based upon experience. (“Grumpy old man” means someone who’s learned enough to be disappointed in humanity.) It isn’t so easy, however, when you’re in your teens or twenties. There’s very little to go on if your adult life has been relatively short. That’s why we often mess up when we’re young.

In short, we have to accept some stuff or we could end up in a vacuum.

I do agree that a minority of one can still be right. It’s occasionally happened to me at work, and it can be very frustrating. And even if others do eventually change their view, they won’t always acknowledge this change. They’ll just change the song that they sing. Having said that, a minority of one can also be wrong.
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 20:29   #49
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Even in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth. Gandhi.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 20:32   #50
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Even in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth. Gandhi.
Wise words George, provided it has been established what the truth actually is and so far I am far from convinced with this subject, one way or the other.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: