Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR recall fix

Views : 6685

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 15:52   #21
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
Just like me. I never received any letter, any contact by phone or email or whatever.
Letters are being sent out now, I received my letter last week. Volvo may stagger these so as not to overload the dealerships.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 16:01   #22
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
Just like me. I never received any letter, any contact by phone or email or whatever.
Ditto!

Car had annual service in September, no mention then.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukden For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 16:27   #23
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
whether you have a gauge or not , the coolant temperature is being monitored continuously when you are driving , you will soon get a flashing light and message pop up if it deviates from the Normal , its a lot more observant than you are 😺
Can you tell more about it, how much and/or fast is the temperature allowed to deviate before
an alarm is raised.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 17:02   #24
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Update

Spoke to the dealer today about booking the car in for them to investigate the issue more fully. The guy I spoke to said the fix that's been applied was simply to replace the affected parts like-for-like and is not the final solution. This seems to contradict the last letter I received. He said the original notification about suspect smells, etc still applied, that the car should not be driven and advised getting it recovered by Volvo Assist.

So, just waiting for the recovery vehicle and the replacement V90 hire car. Have been impressed with the efficiency of Assist including the real-time tracker info they've provided for the recovery vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 15:25   #25
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
whether you have a gauge or not , the coolant temperature is being monitored continuously when you are driving , you will soon get a flashing light and message pop up if it deviates from the Normal , its a lot more observant than you are 😺
Third (and last) time I ask:
Can you tell more about it, how much and/or fast is the temperature allowed to deviate before an alarm is raised.
Without clear answer I have to remain doubtful about the above statement.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 15:45   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Can you tell more about it, how much and/or fast is the temperature allowed to deviate before an alarm is raised.
sorry i missed the other 2 requests .
Volvo do not publish the information your request , however going back 25 years the 850 would set a fault code for low temperature for any length of time so a faulty thermostat could be detected , it did have a temperature gauge too of course .

Today all the information is available including engine temperature which is send up to the instruments from the engine ECU , updated on a 500 kb/s digital network whether there is a gauge or not , The cooling system is so reliable that i have yet to see a running cold or running hot message ....

why don't you do some tests with a spare temperature sensor connected up ?
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 16:22   #27
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:
That's a bit of an impolite response. No-one is posting on here because they owe you anything, including a response to your first, second, third or even hundredth time of asking.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 17:16   #28
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
why don't you do some tests with a spare temperature sensor connected up ?
I already did somthing like that, connecting to the OBD port and reading coolant temperature via Torque.
But that doesn't give give any information on the amount of deviation before an alarm is set,
unless I deliberately force the cooling system into a higher than normal temperature.
I was under the assumption that you could back up your statement that the driver will be informed
soon when a higher coolant temperature occurs, but unfortunately that doesn't seems to be the case.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 19:27   #29
Lexman8
Premier Member

Meanwhile, back on topic...

Got the car back this evening exactly one week after the EGR fix. The burning smell was caused by diesel spilling out of a pipe which had been disconnected to allow the extra cooling pipes for the EGR to be fitted. The diesel wasn't cleaned up and it settled onto a hot surface thus causing the fumes.

The engine bay has been steam cleaned and any residual smell should completely dissipate over the next few days. If the spill had been cleaned up when it happened the whole episode could've been avoided but the dealer did sort it out fairly quickly and hopefully that's the end of it.

On the plus side the response from Volvo Assist was excellent. The V90 T4 R-Design they supplied had only 1,000 miles on the clock. I was surprised how lively this engine felt and it would certainly be sufficient for my style of driving. The V90 was significantly quieter than my XC90 but I'd miss the higher up driving position of a SUV.

And off topic, there was another car in getting its PowerPulse hose replaced. Seems it's a common fault.

Last edited by Lexman8; Nov 26th, 2019 at 19:31.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 22:46   #30
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
I already did somthing like that, connecting to the OBD port and reading coolant temperature via Torque.
But that doesn't give give any information on the amount of deviation before an alarm is set,
unless I deliberately force the cooling system into a higher than normal temperature.
I was under the assumption that you could back up your statement that the driver will be informed
soon when a higher coolant temperature occurs, but unfortunately that doesn't seems to be the case.
Of course there will be a warning of high coolant temperature, should it ever occur. It is a simple matter for you to verify this in the operator’s manual, which I quote below....

Under special conditions, for example hard driving in hilly terrain and hot climate, there is a risk that the engine and drive system may overheat - in particular with a heavy load.

In the event of overheating, the engine's power may be limited temporarily.

Remove any auxiliary lamps from in front of the grille when driving in hot climates.

If the temperature in the engine's cooling system becomes too high then a warning symbol is illuminated and the driver display shows the message Engine temperature High temperature Stop safely. Stop the car in a safe way and allow the engine to run at idling speed for several minutes and cool down.

If the message Engine temperature High temperature Turn off engine or Engine coolant Level low, turn off engine is shown, stop the car and switch off the engine.

In the event of overheating in the gearbox, an alternative gear shift program will be selected. In addition, a built-in protection function is activated that, amongst other things, illuminates a warning symbol and the driver display shows the message Transmission warm Reduce speed to lower temperature or Transmission hot Stop safely, wait for cooling. Follow the recommendation given, reduce speed or stop the car in a safe way and allow the engine to run at idling speed for several minutes to enable the gearbox to cool down.

If the car overheats, the air conditioning may be switched off temporarily.

Do not turn the engine off immediately you stop after a hard drive.

Last edited by Quacker; Nov 26th, 2019 at 22:50.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post: