Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To Polestar or not... Your experiences?

Views : 8942

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2016, 09:03   #1
CharlieW4

Default To Polestar or not... Your experiences?

I am considering whether to Polestar our new (for us) car, and wanted to see what others in the forum thought, particularly if they have done it already. I think quite a number of you have.

One of the considerations is price, but set against that is an upshift in performance of course. Looking at the raw numbers on paper, it doesn't seem that impressive. A bit more torque and a few more horses, but I suspect that doesn't tell the whole story, and there may be some tangiable benefits in terms of pull from lower revs and perhaps accelation at overtaking speeds. What have people noticed?

Secondly, do you think it make a noticeable difference to the economy? I assume (incorrectly possibly), that one of the ways that you get better acceleration etc is by the car staying in a lower gear for a little longer. That responsiveness can be fun, or annoying/diesel-guzzling.

The other thing that crossed my mind is whether in theory if you P* your car, you need to notify your insurance company. If people have done that, what sort of effect did that have on your premium? Having transitioned from a 2.7l 2006 Audi A6, I was suprised to discover that the XC90s insurance was actually cheaper. I assume because the insurance algorithms consider cylinders and engine size as major factors.
CharlieW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2016, 09:35   #2
Julianpms
VOC Member

Hi Charlie,
My experience has been with Polestar on a V60 D4. You are right that the increase in power is not huge (although 40Nm extra torque on my car is worth having), but on automatics you also benefit from improvements to the gearbox logic. I have found that makes a real difference to the responsiveness and pleasure of driving the car.
Official fuel consumption figures are unchanged, but in practice I have been getting about 2mpg more since the upgrade.
You should definitely inform your insurer, although in my case they didn't increase the premium as the power increase was only 10% and it was an official Volvo upgrade.
With Polestar your official Volvo warranty is unaffected, which is a big plus for me, and helps justify in part the admittedly high price of the upgrade.
This is just my 2c; other users of this forum (including a trader who sells his own upgrades) will have their own views and, in some cases, experience of other options.
Julian.
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 16:52   #3
don kalmar union
Trader

Default MTE SWEedish written software.

Up to MY 2011 I can offer you MTE's Swedish written and very well received software for your XC 90 D5 that will give you increased outputs of 225bhp with 480nm of torque.

That currently costs £395 including VAT and you carry out the process of installing it yourself that does not involve you in any travelling. You use MTE's unique Softloader device as an interface between your car's OBD port and an XP equipped or XP compatible laptop to take an initial reading which goes to MTE and from which they assemble their calibrations to exactly match your car's factory settings which you then flash back in to complete the process.

I loan that Softloader against a fully returnable deposit of £155.

From MY 2008 Volvo started to progressively implement their PINCODE BANDITRY that effectively prevents any competition to their somewhat lukewarm P* software that can only be supplied by a dealer. The old XC90 was just about the last vehicle into which Volvo installed this system

This pincode banditry is in absolute fundamental breech of a cornerstone of EU policy which outlaws manufacturers using a dominant market position, naturally occurring or otherwise to prevent competitive activity.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Last edited by don kalmar union; Jan 22nd, 2016 at 16:54.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 17:03   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

Upto MY11 Don? Not really relevant for the brand new MY14 XC90 with the new VEA engines is it!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 18:25   #5
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Apology...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Upto MY11 Don? Not really relevant for the brand new MY14 XC90 with the new VEA engines is it!

My apologies, finger up nose and mind in neutral.... thought I was in the original XC90 section......

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 14:36   #6
CharlieW4

Thanks Julian. That's interesting and encouraging to hear. I spoke to our insurers the other day (Direct Line) to ask whether they would cover it. I gave them the details and explained it was installed by the Volvo dealership etc, and they put me on hold while they checked... Eventually the nice lady came back and said she was really sorry (and very surprised) to report that their underwriters will not insure anything which has its power increased at all, no matter how little the amount like here.

I had better look at the options...!
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 16:07   #7
Dutchbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieW4 View Post
Thanks Julian. That's interesting and encouraging to hear. I spoke to our insurers the other day (Direct Line) to ask whether they would cover it. I gave them the details and explained it was installed by the Volvo dealership etc, and they put me on hold while they checked... Eventually the nice lady came back and said she was really sorry (and very surprised) to report that their underwriters will not insure anything which has its power increased at all, no matter how little the amount like here.

I had better look at the options...!
Have you tried Volvo car insurance underwritten by RSA ? Ours is /was a Inscription model and had P* from new and did not effect the Insurance price as long as you inform Volvo Car Insurance.

Soon to be ex MY16 XC90 D5 P* Inscription & MY15 S60 D4 P* SE Lux G'tronic
Dutchbird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchbird For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 16:19   #8
bobby2000
VOC Member

I have mine insurance with Admiral, no extra with polestar cost £165.70 per year.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 16:44   #9
CharlieW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I have mine insurance with Admiral, no extra with polestar cost £165.70 per year.
Bobby how is that so cheap!? I thought mine at about £440 was cheap, but that's amazing!
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 18:27   #10
bobby2000
VOC Member

Hi,
I original took it out on my Peugeot 508 rxh in Sept, then transferring to my XC60 during Oct, @ no extra charge.
It is on a multi car policy along with my Peugeot 407 coupe and of course I'm 67 with a full no claims and I have to pay a £350 excess.

Tags
pincode banditry, polestar, xc90