Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelt change with NO crank pulley removal (185 bhp)

Views : 463

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2020, 10:04   #1
Montana
Master Member

Default Cambelt change with NO crank pulley removal (185 bhp)

Hi all,

I'm currently weighing up whether to go DIY or not with my V70 XC70 D5 Cambelt change (Cambelt,tensioner,pulley / Aux belt,tensioner / aircon belt)

Searching the forum i see a few mentions of this 'method' (removal of a cover near the crank pulley) from a couple of years back but no substantial 'evidence' (pics/guides) that this is possible - along with knowledgeable people like Clan saying its not possible.

I had a real fight with my last crank pulley bolt (not nut) during a cam belt change (PSA 2.0D), so if i can avoid touching it then all the better.

Any input from those who have done it?

Cheers

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 11:58   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I can confirm that it is possible to change the cambelt on a D5 without removing the pulley.

I have done it on a 2006 D5 185 bhp and also on a 2005 Euro 3 163 bhp.

You cannot get the belt off with the pulley in situ so it has to be cut off and slid out. The new one will push back past the pulley with a little bit of effort and from there onwards you have it cracked.

On my current XC90 with Euro 4 D5 engine my belt kit came with a new crank pulley nut and the 4 small bolts as well.

I borrowed my friends ancient Ingersol Rand impact gun and the crank nut was off in seconds. Doing the belt with the pulley off is much easier and is the way that I will do it next time if ever there is a next time.

I bought a proper crank locking tool for about £20 and picked up a used monster Britool Torque wrench for another £40 so that I could accurately torque the new nut up to 300nm.

In short you can definitely do it with the pulley on but I would get the gear and take it off.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 12:05   #3
Montana
Master Member

cheers @S60D5-185 - i had seen your comments in amongst the older threads so thanks for your input.

Its the additional cost of buying the locking tool/impact driver/torque wrench which when factored in puts the cost around the garage quotes which when personal time is factored in becomes a -ve.

Did you go OEM Kit or Gates/similar?

Pulley on method - how easy is it to get the belt back on given the old one needs cutting off?

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 13:49   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I always use Genuine Volvo for the belt kits and usually use Volvotradeparts off Ebay.

When you cut the belt off, cut it as close as possible to the crank pulley because it is tedious getting the old belt to slide past each tooth on the pulley so the less of it that you have to do is better.

Getting it back on, there is just enough space for it to be pushed past the pulley but it definitely needs strong fingers as it is tight Don't use any tools to try and push it as the last thing you want is to damage the new belt.

Before cutting the old one off I made sure that the top mark was spot on and then I marked the position of the crank pulley because you cannot see the correct timing marks with the pulley in situ therefore need a visible reference point.

You made mention of the small bracket near the crank pulley and that does indeed need to be removed.

Obviously, I have no idea as to whether there is any difference between the engine that you have in your car and the two that I have done so that is something of an unknown factor if attempting it with the pulley on.

On a positive note, if you grind to a halt when changing it, you always have the fallback option of removing the pulley .👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: