Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake System Upgrade

Views : 85951

Replies : 321

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 21:53   #241
Bartezz

Any news?
Bartezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 04:49   #242
dheming

I decided to modify the upper brackets so that they would be more streamlined and less overkill:

Installed:

I made a tool to help me better align the outer holes to be perpendicular with the bracket itself:

After re-centering the outer holes with a rat tail file I then used a step drill to enlarge them out to 1/2" to get ready for the spacer tubes that will be welded in soon:

Cut a piece of the DOM tube to do some test fits with. The bore was too tight for the 5/16" bolt so I had to lightly drill it out using the lathe:

Test fit from the inside. I still have to drill out those last two holes then it's on to the other frame rail:

Thanks for looking.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 05:02   #243
dheming

I've got a question for you guys. How hard is it to pull out the fuel tank from an Amazon estate?
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 07:21   #244
Andy the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheming View Post
I've got a question for you guys. How hard is it to pull out the fuel tank from an Amazon estate?
Easy.....

You undo all the screws around the perimeter from the top, unplug the sender and remove the rubber sleeve from the tank neck to the filler and pull her out..
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 21:31   #245
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
Easy.....

You undo all the screws around the perimeter from the top, unplug the sender and remove the rubber sleeve from the tank neck to the filler and pull her out..
Excellent, thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 22:20   #246
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

One everything is undone you can jack the car up off the fuel tank if it has not been removed before. Sometimes you just have to pick out the sealant to get it to break free.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 22:50   #247
dheming

Thanks for the info guys, the fuel tank came out with minimal complications:

With that out I could finally start welding the spacer tubes into the frame rails. To get as much welding penetration as possible I beveled both the tubes and the holes in the frame rails:

On to the welding:

Inner frame rail. Some of the welded rings sit quite proud due to the various curves in the frame rail. I did the final flattening by hand using a file to ensure the bracket would sit flat across all four bolt holes:

Primed and painted:

So all the welding, sanding and painting is done on the four frame rail faces. Now I'm moving on to the upper coilover bar fabrication.
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 23:10   #248
dheming

Next up are the four horizontal tabs that the coilover will bolt to on each side. These also determine the spacing of the two cross tubes which is why they get made first. I have no access to a mill so they get made by hand using a combination of drill press, angle grinder and hand files. Cutting this 4130 chrome-moly definitely has a different feel compared to regular mild steel:

Still have quite a bit of shaping work left to do on these four tabs. After they're done the next step will be to cut the two cross tubes to length and then tack them in place to the frame rail brackets. Once sufficiently tacked together I will unbolt it and carefully bench weld it all together while trying to minimizing distortion. I've been staring at drawings of this coilover bar for many moons now and I'm looking forward to finally seeing it put together in real life.

Thanks for looking.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 05:40   #249
dheming

I spent some time working on the tabs today:

Almost done with shaping and then I can give them a heavy bevel to get ready for welding.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 09:15   #250
dheming

Made a big step forward yesterday. I finally got the upper coil-over crossmember cut and tacked together in place between the frame rails. Holding the first tube in place while TIG welding laying on my back was a bit of a mofo, but after I got that first tack weld done the rest went together smoothly:

Here is one of my short coilovers hanging down from it to give some perspective:

Out of the car and ready to start the welding:

So far so good. I'm happy to be moving forward on this finally.

Tags
4-link, big brakes, coilovers, spherical joints, wilwood brakes