Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing Serpentine Belt

Views : 500

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2017, 11:29   #1
dingleby9

Default Changing Serpentine Belt

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone could offer me some advice.
My 2011 XC90 has been making a considerable noise when cold, when I am turning the steering wheel. This sound seems to pass fairly quickly, but have a feeling it is the serpentine/auxillary belt on its way out. If this is the case, I would rather change this now before it goes completely (I had it go on a BMW once and caused massive problems!)
My question is, is this a simple process on the XC90 (2011)? I know on some vehicles this can be a big job, but not on all. Are any special tools required to do this job?
Any help or assistance is much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
dingleby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 12:05   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

What is your mileage and what is the colour and level of the power steering fluid?
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 12:28   #3
binty

Question Sure it is the belt?

Are you sure it is the belt?
I my experience of a few high milage Volvos I have never had any belt problems.
(I did on other makes, but never on the Volvo's)
When changing them at the specified intervals (108k or 96k), they came off still looking like new.
The belt alone cost me £27 from dealer (aim for 30-40% discount on service parts).
If the belt has gone, I would wonder what has caused it, sort that then fit a complete set of timing belt, aux belt, tensioners and pulleys whilst it was stripped down so I could forget it for another 96k.
(total cost for everything was about £250, but that included the expensive alternator free wheel pulley (£70), which you may not wish to change).
Good luck
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 15:35   #4
dingleby9

Hi,

Thank you both for your responses. The car has done roughly 101,000 miles at the minute. I will look at the fluid later and post back with a colour.

I actually don't know what it is. Its noticeable as I pull my car off the drive in the morning. So as I back it out, I have to do a hard right to reverse onto the main road, then a hard left to turn down the road opposite my house. It just sounds like a grawnching, whirlling type of sound. Definitely not always been there, Had it for maybe a month to 6 weeks. Goes quite quickly.

Suppose could be bearings, or something in the steering? Not sure with this one. If you guys are saying this hardly ever goes, then I am thinking I am wrong with first assessment.

Any additional ideas welcome.

Thanks

Paul
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 17:34   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Check the power steering fluid (as has been said) and if okay I would change it. Check also very carefully the condition of the belt and pulleys/tensioner and idler. personally I would just get the whole lot replaced - the aux belt failing and subsequent disturbance of the timing belt is by far the most common cause of death for these engines.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 17:49   #6
binty

Unhappy Power steering fluid colour

All this talk of steering fluid and thought I have never changed mine, although have kept it topped up. Now on 121k miles.
So today I checked the colour and compared it with the nice new green fluid from Volvo.
Urgh!!!!! (photo attached)
Looks like i have a job for the weekend.
Thanks for suggesting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1262.jpg (129.1 KB, 19 views)
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 21:04   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by binty View Post
All this talk of steering fluid and thought I have never changed mine, although have kept it topped up. Now on 121k miles.
So today I checked the colour and compared it with the nice new green fluid from Volvo.
Urgh!!!!! (photo attached)
Looks like i have a job for the weekend.
Thanks for suggesting it.
Costs about 10 quid and usually makes a noticeable difference.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 21:30   #8
dingleby9

Thank you for your responses so far.

I haven't checked my fluid yet, as dark outside now. Will look before setting off in the morning. Could it be the fluid that is making the noise then? Seems odd that old tainted fluid would have a response like that. Happy to take your advice though and change if it helps. Is it a simple process to drain the old fluid, and put in the new?

I will also try and look at the serpentine belt over the weekend and look at its condition. I am not even sure where it is located on my XC90. Is it at the front, or down one of the sides?

thanks

Paul
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 22:10   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleby9 View Post
Thank you for your responses so far.

I haven't checked my fluid yet, as dark outside now. Will look before setting off in the morning. Could it be the fluid that is making the noise then? Seems odd that old tainted fluid would have a response like that. Happy to take your advice though and change if it helps. Is it a simple process to drain the old fluid, and put in the new?

I will also try and look at the serpentine belt over the weekend and look at its condition. I am not even sure where it is located on my XC90. Is it at the front, or down one of the sides?

thanks

Paul
The belt is between the engine and the inner wing on the driver side.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135