Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slight free play in the steering

Views : 3263

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2018, 21:44   #11
Turbodave
VOC Member

I assume, perhaps wrongly but if it has a pinch bolt then once removed then could it not be prised apart to release the clamping force? It definitely looks like a job that is done from below so will arrange to get it on a ramp ASAP and have a go at replacing it.

Also have a V70 D5 that has a a slight notch in the steering and it's quite heavy, granted there's no free play in it so will attempt to lubricate the bearing and lower joint on it over the weekend now that I've sussed out how it all works.

There's also a low mileage S60 at my local breaker that could donate a part however just trying to get Vida to wheeze into like as the car in question with the freeway is an R and thus has the variable assistance rack (ZF I think) so not sure if the couplings are a common part number or not.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 10:49   #12
Turbodave
VOC Member

One step closer to resolving this... have since sourced a very good lower joint from a 2007 V70 D5 that I'll clean up and then re-grease and hopefully get fitted to the car over the weekend and fingers crossed, the small amount of free play will be a distant memory. Also manged to pick up a fifth Orestes alloy as a spare for my D5 too so it's been a fruitful week!
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 11:00   #13
Turbodave
VOC Member

Just to bring closure, lower coupling fitted over the weekend and problems now fully resolved and all play at the steering wheel is now gone and as a result, the car is far nicer to drive at speed. Once removed, the play in the coupling was minimal, just shows that even the smallest amount of movement here with multiply up and manifest as quite a significant amount of play at the wheel.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 00:17   #14
Ritch

Thanks for posting your results and the journey to them!

I had all but given up on chasing my tiny but irritating freeplay issue. I think I may do a little bit of coupling investigation and see if they are my issue too.

Having taken the rack out for rebuild and also replacing (2 years ago) I am sadly aware of what a ballache access to that area can be!!!
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 09:27   #15
Turbodave
VOC Member

To be honest, it wasn't as difficult to replace as I anticipated. I did it on a two post ramp and with the car raised up a few feet and reaching in as it's a hell of a lot easier than crawling in to the foot well. I also found that turning the wheel so the upper pinch bolt sat vertically, thus was easier to access from the foot well but it was also was at the sweet spot to lock the steering. Handy.

Removed the 13mm upper to lower column pinch bolt then pushed the upper column up to move it clear from the lower coupling - it's not an interference fit so comes apart easily. Then removed the rubber boot that sort of folds back on itself and creates a seal between the lower column section (number 13 in the images) and the bulkhead and lifted it clear.

Luckily, the position of the steering wheel mean the 10mm pinch bolt that connects the lower coupling to the rack was sat in a good position, so used a 1/4" drive ratchet to crack the bolt then a 10mm ratchet spanner. Once loose, you can get your hand in, twisted backwards and through the hole in the bulkhead and remove the bolt completely. Then, working from under the car I used a long pry bar to get on to the bottom of the coupling and two dunts with a hammer and it popped off the shaft, it can then be lifted clear up in to the foot well.

Off the car, there wasn't a huge amount of play evident but I guess 1mm of play here multiples up to quite a bit at the wheel. Greased the new coupling, pushed it on and again used the big pry by, this time inside the foot well to tap the coupling home... worked out about 2mm of the shaft on the rack needs to protrude or else the pinch bolt won't go back in. Bolt in, tightened, rubber boot on, spring clip drew blood, swore a bit then reconnected the upper section of column to the lower coupling and job done.

On the road, marker improvement... more so at speed where the small amount of lateral play meant there was a dead spot just either side of centre but this has gone completely now. I managed to source a replacement coupling for £10.00 from a local breaker and a low mileage 06 plate D5... I was lead to believe there is a different part for face lift cars but to be honest, I haven't checked.

Bit long winded, apologies but it may help somebody in the future.

Cheers
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post: