Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New xc60 diesel?

Views : 1544

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 22:25   #1
Clive Waring

Default New xc60 diesel?

Just had a good look around the xc60 & very impressed. Nice size, lovely features, loads of safety in a great looking suv. My one worry about the oldish gruff diesel engines was greeted by the salesman telling me that a brand new 5 cylinder 2.4l diesel was in the pipeline with 205bhp & lower emmisions than the current two offerings! He says due in summer '09 so that made my mind up, i will wait until then. What i wonder will current buyers think when it becomes apparent that they have bought the old technology?
Clive Waring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:57   #2
adambsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Waring View Post
Just had a good look around the xc60 & very impressed. Nice size, lovely features, loads of safety in a great looking suv. My one worry about the oldish gruff diesel engines was greeted by the salesman telling me that a brand new 5 cylinder 2.4l diesel was in the pipeline with 205bhp & lower emmisions than the current two offerings! He says due in summer '09 so that made my mind up, i will wait until then. What i wonder will current buyers think when it becomes apparent that they have bought the old technology?
I have bought the 'old' technology taking delivery in March.

That's life isn't it? Things always improve and it's just a timing issue - I need a new car in March as my current car's lease expires in February. Life's too short to worry about what engine I've got in my car and whether it's 'old' or new.

I didn't think the D5 engine in the XC60 was gruff at all - far smoother and quieter than my current Civic diesel.

I know one thing - I still can't wait for my XC60 whether there is a new engine in the pipeline or not.

Last edited by adambsmith; Jan 15th, 2009 at 08:01.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 14:13   #3
Patrick lince

Quote:
That sounds wise. The D5 is fine but falls way short of other manufacturers offerings and needs to be better to compete. I would hang on also if I were you. It's not as though taking one with the 'old' D5 is going to get you a massive discount as the XC60 is too new.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 15:28   #4
XC60Owner

Quote:
My understanding is all the 2.4L D engines are the same one. The D5 is tuned differently to the non-D5 2.4L to get the 185BHP and the new one is again going to be the same engine tuned differently. That at least is what I read somewhere, cant' remember where.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 15:59   #5
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
My understanding is all the 2.4L D engines are the same one. The D5 is tuned differently to the non-D5 2.4L to get the 185BHP and the new one is again going to be the same engine tuned differently. That at least is what I read somewhere, cant' remember where.
Good chance one will be able to get Volvo to re-map the D5 185, to give it the extra 20 hp?

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 18:58   #6
Clive Waring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
Having a dig around the internet & being new to Volvo cars I see the new engine is a completely new design being euro-5 compliant & is significantly more efficient than its predecessor. It will have twin turbos, ceramic glow plugs, piezoelectric injectors & might give up to 45mpg combined. Its first to go into the S80 so the XC60 might be a while yet. I’m waiting but I can understand those that can’t. See:- http://www.carpages.co.uk/volvo/volvo-s80-07-01-09.asp
Clive Waring is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clive Waring For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 22:29   #7
XC60Owner

Quote:
Having a dig around the internet & being new to Volvo cars I see the new engine is a completely new design being euro-5 compliant & is significantly more efficient than its predecessor. It will have twin turbos, ceramic glow plugs, piezoelectric injectors & might give up to 45mpg combined. Its first to go into the S80 so the XC60 might be a while yet. I’m waiting but I can understand those that can’t. See:- http://www.carpages.co.uk/volvo/volvo-s80-07-01-09.asp
I stand corrected.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote