Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any previous S60 owners here?

Views : 895

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 18:13   #1
S60 Alex
VOC Member

Default Any previous S60 owners here?

Hi all,

I am considering upgrading my S60 to a new S80 and wondered if anyone had done similar?

As I am just about to post in the S60 forum, my car has blown its turbo, plus a few other things and I am desperately trying to weigh up the options!

Thanks,

Alex
S60 Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 17:56   #2
Radar
I've Been Banned

Two weeks ago I traded my S60 2.0T SE for a new S80 2.0D SE. Had the S60 for 7 years and really loved it and was afraid that the S80 would disappoint, especially in the performance department. So far, I am very happy with the S80. It doesn't have the urge of the petrol S60 but it still has plenty of pulling power. Strangely, it has a calming effect on my driving style that I haven't quite figured out yet! The power is there when needed but I find myself not pushing it. Economy is vastly improved from 28mpg to 51mpg (according to trip computer). Comfort and noise levels are very good (a bit giddier than the S60 on very bad surfaces but no big deal).
One of the first things that struck me was the improved turning circle - I almost miss being prepared to make a spectacle of myself in tight car parks!

I can only speak of experience of the smaller engines in both cases but I think you won't be disappointed. Was there something in particular you were wondering about?
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 22:03   #3
glengibson

Default Fuel Consumption

Hi, i have just traded my 2002 S60 for a 2007 2.4D S80 and am loving it!

Can i ask what yours is showing in the fuel consumption dept? around town my 2.0 petrol s60 averaged at approx 24mpg (on the computer)

My S80 2.4 diesel i thought would be lighter on the juice but around town it is showing an average of 21mpg????????

does this sound about right to you? the literature states that urban is approx 29mpg?
glengibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 20:57   #4
Big Swede
Big Swede

Default S80 - s60 - s80

I had the old model S80 and traded it in against an S60, both were diesel, geartronic. I noticed the S60 was very much faster than the old S80 but that was all it had going for it. MPG was disappointing and comfort was well below that of the S80 and there was very little room in the back seat for passengers.
I then traded the 60 in after about eighteen months against the current model of the 80 again, diesel and geartronic. The difference in comfort was amazing. Much more room inside and a much smoother ride. MPG was about that of the 60 which for a much larger car was good.
I have now had the 80 for just over a year and wouldn't change it for anything.
If you want comfort and space go for the 80!
Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Swede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 08:50   #5
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by glengibson View Post
Hi, i have just traded my 2002 S60 for a 2007 2.4D S80 and am loving it!

Can i ask what yours is showing in the fuel consumption dept? around town my 2.0 petrol s60 averaged at approx 24mpg (on the computer)

My S80 2.4 diesel i thought would be lighter on the juice but around town it is showing an average of 21mpg????????

does this sound about right to you? the literature states that urban is approx 29mpg?
My S80 T6 does 21mpg around town. Cant understand why yours would be soo low.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 17:10   #6
Hinckley

Hi Alex, I upgraded my 03plate S60 SE 2.0T for a 57plate S80 LUX D5 back in October and i'ts great, puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it.

Everything except fuel economy (10mpg better than the 60) is a vast improvement, but I must admit I didn't buy it for the economy, engine is strong and grunty, auto box is smooth and well mannered, ride comfort is fantastic, toys galore as expected, no draw backs as such just a few silly niggles.

Time will tell I suppose the 60 did 120,000 trouble free miles and was a joy to drive, only spent service costs plus tyres etc nothing more, the 80 is just coming up first service and i'm not expecting anything unusual.

I test drove a quite a few before taking my pick, well worth doing as some are better than others in engine/gearbox performance, ride comfort, toys etc..

Hope you find one you like.

Cheers
Pip
Hinckley is offline   Reply With Quote