Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo kidnapping my car

Views : 1855

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 20:10   #1
Ushtey

Default Volvo kidnapping my car

I recently had a the misfortune of calling the Volvo Customer Service Dept to discuss the warranty on my second hand XC90 (57 plate). I can honestly say they are the most rude, unhelpful, un-knowledgeable and quite simply worst vehicle customer service department I have ever dealt with. Compared with Mercedes, Honda and Citroen they have ensured I will likely never purchase another Volvo.

The problem that caused this? I live in the Isle of Man where there is a Volvo Garage who will happily sell me brand new Volvos or undertake the servicing of my (or any other) Volvo. However, if there is a problem my with car (real or suspected), Volvo UK are insisting I will need to call on my Roadside Assitance who will transport the car to their closest authorised dealership to be assessed, otherwise the warranty will be voided.

The problem is this dealership is in the UK - a boat journey and half day's sailing from the IoM - from where I must collect the car once the engineer has looked at it. They told me not to worry as they wouldn't charge me for taking the car to the dealership, but once they have taken it to another country, I must collect it (all at my expense and likely to take several days before I can book return boat journeys assuming I am able to take time off work).

This is tantamount to kidnapping my car!!! Rather than allow the only Volvo garage on the Island to undertake the work (although they are fine with them selling it and servicing it), they will incur the cost of shipping it and force me to pay the extra cost of collecting it.

Madness. The most annoying thing for me is that I called Volvo to clarify the situation before I bought the XC90 and they assured me the warranty would be covered by the local garage. But changed that statement once I called to transfer the warrant to my name. Apparently there are two people with the same name as the person I spoke to and they are very sorry but they would not be able to find the recording of the conversation when I called previously.

When sales are at their most important, this company just lost any future ones from me and any of my friends/colleagues.
Ushtey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 20:18   #2
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushtey View Post
I recently had a the misfortune of calling the Volvo Customer Service Dept to discuss the warranty on my second hand XC90 (57 plate). I can honestly say they are the most rude, unhelpful, un-knowledgeable and quite simply worst vehicle customer service department I have ever dealt with. Compared with Mercedes, Honda and Citroen they have ensured I will likely never purchase another Volvo.

The problem that caused this? I live in the Isle of Man where there is a Volvo Garage who will happily sell me brand new Volvos or undertake the servicing of my (or any other) Volvo. However, if there is a problem my with car (real or suspected), Volvo UK are insisting I will need to call on my Roadside Assitance who will transport the car to their closest authorised dealership to be assessed, otherwise the warranty will be voided.

The problem is this dealership is in the UK - a boat journey and half day's sailing from the IoM - from where I must collect the car once the engineer has looked at it. They told me not to worry as they wouldn't charge me for taking the car to the dealership, but once they have taken it to another country, I must collect it (all at my expense and likely to take several days before I can book return boat journeys assuming I am able to take time off work).

This is tantamount to kidnapping my car!!! Rather than allow the only Volvo garage on the Island to undertake the work (although they are fine with them selling it and servicing it), they will incur the cost of shipping it and force me to pay the extra cost of collecting it.

Madness. The most annoying thing for me is that I called Volvo to clarify the situation before I bought the XC90 and they assured me the warranty would be covered by the local garage. But changed that statement once I called to transfer the warrant to my name. Apparently there are two people with the same name as the person I spoke to and they are very sorry but they would not be able to find the recording of the conversation when I called previously.

When sales are at their most important, this company just lost any future ones from me and any of my friends/colleagues.
From reading this and other threads relating to Volvo's customer service regarding new vehicles and the amount of problems peolpe have both with the vehicles and the service, i dont think id ever buy a new Volvo.

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 21:17   #3
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Unhappy

Quote:

Join the club mate. Ive now had to get VOSA in volved to get my accident waiting to happen xc90 sorted out with VCUK and a solicitor to try and get my money back on the dud the dealer sold me!!! You want to REALLY bad customer service with a give a attitude then buy yourself a Volvo!!! take a look at my thread on my faulty Volvo in the general section!! I'll bet you they would have found the "training" tape if it had been the other way round!!!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 23:38   #4
Laney760
VOC Member

Ushtey, I am so incensed that you are expected to take time out of work and spend money collecting the car from the mainland, this can't be right? Are you going to check this out with Trading Standards, Citizen's Advice, whoever? If not I will check this out on Monday afternoon without of course mentioning which car manufacturer, which island, etc, just check it out as a general scenario??

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 23:49   #5
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

This hardly rates as a technical topic!!!

Roy
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 01:18   #6
Laney760
VOC Member

So what is wrong with the vehicle Ushtey?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:38   #7
Ushtey

Yes, I have spoken to Trading Standards over here who have asked for everything in writing.

The fault that prmpted this is a parking brake warning message on the dash, it is an intermittant fault whic clears if the engine is parked with the engine switched off for a while. My concern is this could be a serious fault or it could be a relatively simple one to fix.

Either way, why should I have to pay several hundred pounds for the privilege of finding out.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:44   #8
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Yes, I have spoken to Trading Standards over here who have asked for everything in writing.

The fault that prmpted this is a parking brake warning message on the dash, it is an intermittant fault whic clears if the engine is parked with the engine switched off for a while. My concern is this could be a serious fault or it could be a relatively simple one to fix.

Either way, why should I have to pay several hundred pounds for the privilege of finding out.
I take it you're not talking about the warning light that comes on when you put the parking brake on?

What is the message?

If the parking brake is on when you drive the car should start making a warning sound after about 20 seconds or so.

I don't want to get into a legal discussion on this forum but if something is important to you contractually, always ask for comfirmation in writing. You obviously made a note of phone call which is good and a court should accept that even if Volvo don't know which of their personel took the call. I wouldn't expect a court to accept their excuse of not knowing who took the call.

Roy
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 20:15   #9
Ushtey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I take it you're not talking about the warning light that comes on when you put the parking brake on?
Nope, the message readout says parking brake service error. The parking brake wasn't on at the time as the car was parked on a flat drive. It flashed on the other day as I was in a hurry to get to an appointment, so resolved to take it to the garage when I finished. Came out, started the car, no warning message.

No obvious difference in driving so I called Volvo instead. That's when I got told about taking the car away.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 20:40   #10
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Nope, the message readout says parking brake service error. The parking brake wasn't on at the time as the car was parked on a flat drive. It flashed on the other day as I was in a hurry to get to an appointment, so resolved to take it to the garage when I finished. Came out, started the car, no warning message.

No obvious difference in driving so I called Volvo instead. That's when I got told about taking the car away.
It's not a problem I've heard anyone having before on any of the Volvo XC90 forums. Checking the error codes on the Vida software may point out the problem, can you get it checked out at your local guy to see if it is a problem that would make it worth the trip? If you could tell Volvo what was wrong it might help them change their attitude to your legal issues with them.

Roy