Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 (Heart In Mouth Situation)

Views : 1697

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 18:47   #1
tem
Premier Member

Default XC60 (Heart In Mouth Situation)

On Monday, I was making my way home from the South of France and hit the morning rush hour traffic, around Metz, on the E31.

All of a sudden, I was faced with every alarm and messages possible: Brake Failure, Airbag Failure, Engine Management, Stop Engine, etc.
The XC60 immediately went into "Limp Drive Mode".

Fortunately I was in the inside lane, but the hard shoulder. was not wide enough, to stop safely. With the hazard lights on, I limped along for a couple of miles, to exit the Motorway. Pulled over and tried to shut the engine down (keyless drive), the engine would not stop. Took stock of the situation and decided, via the sat nav, to drive to the nearest Volvo Dealership in "Limp Mode", some 5 miles away.
On arrival, they tried to stop the engine and failed. Decided to take it into the Workshop and plug in the diagnostic unit, leaving me in the showroom to ponder.
I can tell you, that everthing was going through my mind. I still had over 300 miles to go, to catch the DFDS Ferry, at Ijmuiden, in the Netherlands.
I had by now convinced myself, that there was a major problem and I would not be going anywhere, soon.

Within 5 minutes, the Foreman arrived and indicated, to follow him into the workshop (No English on his tounge and no French on mine), where, with the bonnet up, he pointed to the battery, he took hold of the clamp on the positive terminal and just lifted it off.

Clamp replaced and secured, all alarms and messages cleared and I was on my way again, 10 minutes later.

After 51 years of driving, this is the first time I have experianced, a slack battery connection. I can only assume, that it left the factory in this state, as I understand, that there is no requirement, in the pre-delivery inspection, to check the battery connections.

I shudder, to think, what would have happened, if I had been in the outside lane of the motorway, when the XC60 went into "Limp Mode".
At 3500 revs, I could only manage around 18 mph.

Hopefully, this is a one of situation and I have been assured by my local dealer, that the French will send in a report, to Volvo. They think that the assembly check list may need to be addressed, or it may have been caused, by someone having a bad day.

All ended well, made the Ferry on time.
Thanks have to go to the Dealership in Metz, immediate attention, fault found and rectified in record time.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 20:51   #2
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Tem

Had a similar thing with my mothers C30 in January but without the limp mode. Dealer diagnosed the battery being dud at 11000 miles. New battery fitted and it appears to be ok now. Have to admit it was quite worrying for her when the dash lit up like an xmas tree though!

4WD
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 21:01   #3
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Tem

Had a similar thing with my mothers C30 in January but without the limp mode. Dealer diagnosed the battery being dud at 11000 miles. New battery fitted and it appears to be ok now. Have to admit it was quite worrying for her when the dash lit up like an xmas tree though!

4WD
I will not say that I had to change my kegs, after it happened, but pretty close.

To add, traffic was travelling at 70 mph, 3 lanes and chucking it down with rain.
Fortunately, the wipers kept working and the hazards worked. Assume they got power from the alternator, direct.

tem.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 21:05   #4
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Funnily enough it was the wipers stopping working that gave 1st indication in the C30 that anything was wrong. Wasnt until the rain sensor button was pushed that everything went wild on the dash. We were in stop start at the time so at least that wasnt a worry
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 13:40   #5
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
On Monday, I was making my way home from the South of France and hit the morning rush hour traffic, around Metz, on the E31.

All of a sudden, I was faced with every alarm and messages possible: Brake Failure, Airbag Failure, Engine Management, Stop Engine, etc.
The XC60 immediately went into "Limp Drive Mode".

Fortunately I was in the inside lane, but the hard shoulder. was not wide enough, to stop safely. With the hazard lights on, I limped along for a couple of miles, to exit the Motorway. Pulled over and tried to shut the engine down (keyless drive), the engine would not stop. Took stock of the situation and decided, via the sat nav, to drive to the nearest Volvo Dealership in "Limp Mode", some 5 miles away.
On arrival, they tried to stop the engine and failed. Decided to take it into the Workshop and plug in the diagnostic unit, leaving me in the showroom to ponder.
I can tell you, that everthing was going through my mind. I still had over 300 miles to go, to catch the DFDS Ferry, at Ijmuiden, in the Netherlands.
I had by now convinced myself, that there was a major problem and I would not be going anywhere, soon.

Within 5 minutes, the Foreman arrived and indicated, to follow him into the workshop (No English on his tounge and no French on mine), where, with the bonnet up, he pointed to the battery, he took hold of the clamp on the positive terminal and just lifted it off.

Clamp replaced and secured, all alarms and messages cleared and I was on my way again, 10 minutes later.

After 51 years of driving, this is the first time I have experianced, a slack battery connection. I can only assume, that it left the factory in this state, as I understand, that there is no requirement, in the pre-delivery inspection, to check the battery connections.

I shudder, to think, what would have happened, if I had been in the outside lane of the motorway, when the XC60 went into "Limp Mode".
At 3500 revs, I could only manage around 18 mph.

Hopefully, this is a one of situation and I have been assured by my local dealer, that the French will send in a report, to Volvo. They think that the assembly check list may need to be addressed, or it may have been caused, by someone having a bad day.

All ended well, made the Ferry on time.
Thanks have to go to the Dealership in Metz, immediate attention, fault found and rectified in record time.

tem.
Thanks for this. I will check my battery tonight!
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 15:10   #6
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

My 240 used to be difficult to keep the connection tight on one of the terminals for some reason. I can't remeber which one though.

I had the throttle cable snap on the 940 at 80 mph in the outside lane overtaking some lorries on the M25. I could have driven home on the choke if I hadn't have been on a motorway. It's the only time I had to get a Volvo recovered. I made promises to myself I'd drive more slowly in future. Lasted about a week!!

All the best.

Roy
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 12:16   #7
SKH
SKH

I am driving my XC60 350ish miles to Yorkshire & back towing a caravan in a couple of weeks - just popping out now to check the battery connections!

Love the car though, vast imnprovement on my XC90 (yes I know it has only got 5 seats).
SKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 21:49   #8
tem
Premier Member

Default Update.

As the fault developed in France and was rectified by a French Volvo Dealership, I was told that it is up to the French, to file a report, to Sweden.

Thought about this for a few days and decided to mail Volvo Sweden on Friday evening, to explain, exactly what happened and my concern, that something may be amiss, on the production line.

Today, I took the XC60 to my local Dealership (To get Display Modual replaced - still there, as they are having a software problem) and I was told that they are now going to check battery connections, as part of the PDI, as a result of my experiance.
I was just about to leave (getting a lift downtown), when I was called back. Volvo UK were on the phone, to the Service Dept, asking if they knew anything, about my problems.
When they informed Volvo UK, that I was present, they asked to speak to me.
Sweden had passed my concerns to the UK, for them to get more detailed information. They took a blow by blow account, of what happened and are going to pass the information, back to Sweden.

There have been several posts on this site, lately, de-rating, Volvo Custom Services, but I cannot fault them.
They seem to have moved into top gear on this issue, as I am sure they have, on other issues.

Point of interest, there is a recall (VOSA/Volvo), on certain VIN, XC60's, regarding the towing eye, on the front.
Seemingly, some foam needs to be removed, behind the bumper, to allow, easy fitment, of the towing eye. (Not a safety issue)
My XC60 does not require, this recall.

Safe and happy motoring, folks.
Keep the post coming, but please, be factual, no speculation, or adding arms and legs.
After reading some of the comments that have been posted on this site, over the last few months, I now have complete faith again, in Volvo.
The last week has proved this (France, Sweden and the UK).

tem.

Last edited by tem; Mar 16th, 2009 at 21:58. Reason: text.
The Following User Says Thank You to tem For This Useful Post: