Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Instant stall after starting

Views : 1877

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2009, 16:24   #1
nowhereman

Default Instant stall after starting

Expert opinions?

I have a recently bought a 2002 T5 C70 and it has developed a strange fault.

Intermittently (but becoming more frequent), I start the car, and it starts first time, revs up to about 2000, then sinks back down and stalls. After that the engine turns with the ignition but won't actually catch unless I return the ignition to zero and begin again. On subsequent tries, I can prevent it stalling by catching it at just the right moment and giving it a bit of gas. This seems to get it over it's starting trouble.

This is a new problem and getting worse, and I'm worried that it's the precursor to something more serious (as in, I can't get home at 5 o'clock serious :-)).

My uneducated guess would be fuel pump or automatic choke...
Old May 12th, 2009, 16:38   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I'd suggest the first thing to do would be to clean the Electronic Throttle Body (ETM).
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:23   #3
mrdave2003
Premier Member

I have a similar but very intermittent on my 1999 V70 T5. Throttle body was clean and had software update about a year ago, didn't seam to make much difference but may be a good starting point. Not sure what else it could be. any other ideas anyone?
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:59   #4
testrider
VOC Member

Mine's done it occasionally too, usually after a succession of short journeys (I normally only use it for long trips). I think it's the immobiliser anttena inside the steering column which isn't detecting the key properly. Waggling the key can help too.

If you search through the previous posts you'll find this is fairly common and not to expensive to fix. I haven't got round to mine yet as it's working again.

2003 V70 2.5T Titanium Line
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 18:44   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Mine's done it occasionally too, usually after a succession of short journeys (I normally only use it for long trips). I think it's the immobiliser anttena inside the steering column which isn't detecting the key properly. Waggling the key can help too.

If you search through the previous posts you'll find this is fairly common and not to expensive to fix. I haven't got round to mine yet as it's working again.
If its not the antenna ring ( about £28 ) then clean the pins on the immobiliser unit under the dash near where the steering column comes through the dash .
Old May 18th, 2009, 15:36   #6
nowhereman

Thanks for all the good advice chaps.

It could easily be the immobilizer as you say, but would the car actually be starting if it were that? The car starts then instantly dies. I think getting a bit of throttle to it, prevents the stall, but obviously there's no way to travel back in time and try the same start with a bit of throttle, which makes confirmation hard :-)
Old May 18th, 2009, 20:34   #7
MKC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Thanks for all the good advice chaps.

It could easily be the immobilizer as you say, but would the car actually be starting if it were that? The car starts then instantly dies. I think getting a bit of throttle to it, prevents the stall, but obviously there's no way to travel back in time and try the same start with a bit of throttle, which makes confirmation hard :-)
Yes, car would start, and immediately shutdown with an immobilizer fault.