Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"On Call Service Required" keeps coming back

Views : 12512

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 22:25   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
I got an "activation code" today from main dealer, told that I should input this into the car (via phone menu) and it would call VOC and I would give them some security info then the VOC deactivated error would stop (and VOC would be "activated", I have done this and got the error Wrong activation Code! bugger! called main dealer back and have been told that it (the car) then has a fault, and needs in depth investigation starting with fault code reading then un-limited deeper investigation, charged by the hour!! Called VOC who whilst polite, couldnt offer any help, (for info the number your car calls when you press the "ON CALL" button is "0800 587 9848" they were however able to check that the car indeed is in date on the system untill 2015, has on call service and that I needed to contact the main dealer for an "activation code" I have the code and am assured it is the only code associated with my car (by main dealer). The number I have been given is in the format of "111222444" (a nine digit number) the car however seems to let you enter what you like (so a 2 digit number or a 40 digit number) can anyone confirm they have an activation code of nine digits? what am I missing? surely you ethier offer a service and support it throughout it's activaton regardless of end user cost, or deactivate it so that no warning occours...
Is your car a 2011 model ? if so the activation number on the system is wrong , your dealer should know the correct one !
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 22:27   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytze View Post
Dear Forum,

I found a few similar posts on this topic (example: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...highlight=call) which point in a certain direction (back up battery problem). I would appreciate the forums (latest) view on this.

Allow me to provide some facts:
XC90 (my second one), D5 Geartronic, 2007, featuring includes: RTI, phone, On Call. I bought the car from the Volvo local dealer when it was almost 1 year old with approximately 30k km. We are currently at 90k km. Only dealer serviced.

Issue: even shortly after I bought it, it showed the "On Call Service Required" message. After a "reset" by the dealer, it did not show up for about a year, another reset, another year. But, recently (warranty expired...) it keeps coming back.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but ever since I bought the XC90, every now and than the phone forgets some of it settings (speed dials for example). I have also had an occasional "Urgent - airbag service required" (translated from Dutch, so actual English message could be different). Every time, the dealer was able to "reset" the messages. Most recently - again together with the 'On Call Service Required" message - the front power windows could not be operated until the car was stopped/started again. Could be coincidence though.

All has been mentioned to the dealer, but they seem not to be too sure about this all. Last week however, they mentioned a possible issue with a worn out backup battery. IMHO This seems less likely, since I experience the "On Call Service Required' for two years now. However, one of the posts also mention this battery...

Any thoughts?
Any tips I could give to the dealer?
The message "On Call Service Required" is currently present, should I try the 'Fuse 14' trick?

PS: any way I can "reset" myself using my "OBDlink" tool (with SCAN-XL software)?

Regards,
W.
Right its not the battery at fault it is the calculation which works out the state of the battery . you need to get a VOC reload done and then reset the battery counter tell them ..
See how that goes ...
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:51   #13
Wytze

Dear Clan,
Thanks for the reply. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow (...) who is planning to replace the 'back up battery' of VOC (same as for the in-car telephone - right?). I will gladly mention your tip. Note that the dealer in the past - while still under warrenrty - has done 'something' which effectively got rid of the "VOC Service Required" message for initially a year, but as of recently, it comes back in a matter of days.
Will keep the forum posted.
BTW: anyone has a folder/information of what VOC actually offers in the 'free' and 'premium' service?
Wytze
Wytze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 18:23   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Its not the battery which is at fault , it is the calculations on how the battery is monitored , save yourself £120 on a battery and get the VOC re load first which modifies how the battery is monitored , and then get the battery reset ... by all means have a new battery at hand in case it doesnt work , but you wont need it ... , the code will clear and battery will show near 100% full after the software ..
They would have reset the battery before under warranty no doubt , but this software is fairly new ..

if you search on here for on-call you will find what each service offers ...
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 09:51   #15
Wytze

Update: When I picked up the car from the workshop, they informed me that they had updated the firmware only and not replaced the backup battery as originally suggested. According to their information this update should likely resolve the problem. If not, next step would be the battery to be replaced.
With the replies from Clan in mind I'm confident the update will tackle the issue!
One would almost think this dealer is reading is reading the same thread :-)

BTW, this update was FoC.
W.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 21:55   #16
Wytze

Default Alas...

Unfortunately, after the mentioned firmware update and a few hundred km's, the problem returned. In fact, next to the 'On call service required', I also got the 'SRS-Airbag service Urgent' message back as well. As this message has only shown up together with the On Call message I would think there is not something really wrong with the SRS system. I'll check with the dealer soon.
Any suggestions? Go for the replacement of the back up battery?
W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6302.jpg (243.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6303.jpg (297.3 KB, 9 views)
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 23:34   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

did they reset battery level AFTER doing the VOC reload ? Its not the battery at fault its the software , how it monitors the battery . check the battery yoursellf it should be 6 volts or over .. their next step really should be to contact their volvo technical department if they have reset the battery monitor to 100% ...
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 22:30   #18
Wytze

Default Success

Just a brief update to follow up.
Shortly after the messages popped up again I paid another visit to the dealer and informed them about the problem returned. This time they mentioned they did replace the back up battery.
Since then a few hundred km's have passed and... the message(s) are still absent!
I'm obviously not sure if this latest fix also implied the procedure as mentioned by Clan was actually done. Bottom line: it seems solved for now.
The phone did reset itself once however (I experience the language setting back to the SIM card (and car) default and the short-dial memory erased), but likely that is another issue.
For the record: since I had experienced this problem from the day of purchase, even though warrenty had expired, the fix was FoC.
W.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 15:34   #19
Lolbert

I have the "On Call Deactivated" error message. My Volvo dealer is telling me that this is due to a fault with the telephone module that will cost £1,050 to replace although Volvo/the dealer will give me a 60% goodwill discount. Still sounds ridiculous when the phone itself is working fine and I'm not an On Call subscriber (as my car is 4 years old).

He said it's not the backup battery.

Should I just live with it? The message goes if I put in the activation code but reappears after leaving the car for a few hours.
Lolbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 18:24   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

The ON CAll safety package is always active only the security package is a yearly subscription , have you thought about getting it repaired? Maybe Marcel from Ipswich on here ?