Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 807656

Replies : 1192

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:30   #21
Ron_XC90
Master Member

In UK they are available in the right size for XC90, see here:
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...ort=P&dsco=110
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron_XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 13:23   #22
JimmyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I use the Wintrac 4 Extreme's all year round. The wear rate is 1mm per 12,000 miles.
What pressure do you run these on ?

Soon I need to replace the conti's - and thinking of the wintrac's. I normally run on ECO pressure 270Kpa. The majority of my driving is short runs, with the occasion 200 mile motorway trips.

So are the Wintrac's good for this on this pressure ?

Also any advice on the best place to order / fit in the maidstone/ashford area would be appreciated.
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 14:02   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post

Soon I need to replace the conti's - and thinking of the wintrac's. I normally run on ECO pressure 270Kpa. The majority of my driving is short runs, with the occasion 200 mile motorway trips.

Also any advice on the best place to order / fit in the maidstone/ashford area would be appreciated.
40 lb all round. I bought mine from Camskill.......http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...=m65b625s253p0

I had them fitted for £12 each. I also had lazer alignment done at the same time for £40. I used a place in East Grinstead.

They have a self cleaning tread by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 14:27   #24
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:

If Tonbridge is not too far there is a great place called MTMC Tyres on the Morley Road Ind Est. (www.mtmctyres.co.uk).

Speak to Harry, what he doesn't know about tyres isn't worth knowing. He uses a Hunter Laser Alignment machine and will normally do this for free if you buy tyres from him. He would only charge for making any adjustments. He has always matched the cheapest "fitted" prices that I find online and fills the tyres with nitrogen for no extra charge; as recommended by the AA. (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...-nitrogen.html).

Worth a look.

Jim.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 14:49   #25
JimmyB

Cheers Jim, Tonbridge is fine actually. I will be taking the XC90 into Spit and Polish just round the corner from MTMC to repair some alloy damage the wife did last week...so hopefully I can tie the 2 up.

thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 19:54   #26
lesk

I've got goodyear wranglers ATR which seem ok general purpose, bit of road noise but decent grip in the wet. getting hard to find now though.

les
lesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:22   #27
JimmyB

I spoke with Harry who was very helpful. He recommended the General Grappers rather the the Vreds, so will most likely go with those, so a bit more research to do..
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:00   #28
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
I spoke with Harry who was very helpful. He recommended the General Grappers rather the the Vreds, so will most likely go with those, so a bit more research to do..
He has done that to me. Just as you think you've made a decision he comes up with another option.

Which type of Grabber did he suggest? Did he have an opinion on the Wranger?
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 09:36   #29
REDSHEEPRIDD

What was Harry's view?

I had originally decided on Grabbers, but RKV had persuaded me towards the Nokians as here in Aberdeenshire, we only get about 2 weeks Summer, so wet and snow are more important to me - mostly town driving & towing at weekends.

The Wintracs are too expensive as are my current Scorpions - so Grabbers, Nokians or Kumho??? Still got until Novemberish until I need to change all 4.

Grabbers & Nokians both about £550 fitted for 4. Kumho KL12 at £410!!!! (Wintracs £700+)
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 10:44   #30
JimmyB

I did mention the Wrangler but ruled those out, but the 2 he recommended were the Grabber UHP and the Kumho's KL12. Obviosuly these are the "budget" option, but he said in the States General are classed as a top brand, but here mid class.

The Kumhos will be the cheapest option as per REDSHEEPRIDD, but looking at the Kumho website only on road rating is good:

http://www.kumhotyre.co.uk/selector.php?tyre_id=17

Whilst on the generaltire site they don't rate them, these seem to be a good all round option, but maybe the snow performance will not be as good.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T4/Grabber-UHP

and decent ratings here, though based on different sizes/cars.

http://www.tyretest.com/4x4_reifen/g...uhp/index.html
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Ge...abber-UHP-.htm

So yes once you have made a decision, I am back to square one ! He did say if I ordered the tyres myself (as for example if I went for Vreds, then currently his suppliers are out of stock, then he'd be happy to fit them), so thats always a good option to have.

Also he will do the balancing, and worst case to fix all wheel the total cost would be around £80, which is cheaper than the £99 volvo dealers charge, and I am not sure if that covers any alignment.

So as my usuage will be roughly 60% Dry/ 40% Wet and possibly a bit of snow, then I think I may go with the Grabbers, but I am still not decided fully..

I still have a couple of weeks to decide and sure there be a few more curveballs thrown up on this thread....