Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(Air Conditioning) MUST READ!!!

Views : 2733

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2011, 10:38   #11
Will22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy72 View Post
the benzines arent the worry in my car, its the noxious gases that exit from my ass im more worried about. Its no joke, ive seen passengers rolling around in agony aparanlty unable to breath when exposed to my deadly gas.

Thats serious s hit
That has just made my day, funny as fcuk.

On another note, what about other cars like my S8 that have solar sunroofs that power the air con when your not in the car, is that better or worse.

Where does all this stop, first it was eggs.......
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:11   #12
Angie
Premier Member

I don't know about the effects of carcinogenic gas in cars but one of the main reasons that I prefer older cars, whether as driver or passenger, is that they don't usually have that horrible 'plasticy' smell which makes me feel decidedly ill and often leaves me with mild migraine symptoms at the end of a journey. The Moggie Traveller is of course nearly all metal inside, so no unpleasant odours, and consequently on even the longest journeys I felt no ill effects. The Moggie days are now sadly gone, and been replaced by the lovely 240 Torslanda. This also doesn't seem to give off any gases, at least no odour anyway. I wonder then if modern plastics are more smelly, and possibly more toxic, or maybe once a car gets towards twenty years old all the fumes have been dissipated from the plastic. All I know is that at the end of a journey in the Volvo I feel fresh and relaxed or even, (as a passenger!) asleep in those lovely comfortable seats. In modern cars I nearly always feel ill, sometimes very ill indeed.

Any views on this from the more scientifically inclined amongst you?
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 12:24   #13
Oilydad
Premier Member

What did we all do before air conditioning?

Mine's broken, (Condenser gone) and there's no way I even care, or will be bothering to fix it. I'll do what I always used to do, and power down the windows and open the sun-roof. Problem Solved....Seemple!!

As for modern cars....well like Angie......I wouldn't even want to own any of them. Electrically powered plastic tripe.
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 13:47   #14
Angie
Premier Member

Oh yes, I forgot to ask why, in our temperate climate, do we need air conditioning anyway? Of course there are the occasional summer days, especially if caught in heavy traffic, when one might hanker after it, but is it really necessary for a few days a year? Open the windows, put the heater on cool and open all the vents!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 13:58   #15
Michael J
Master Member

A/C can remove moisture from the inside of the car, which reduces steaming up in certain weather conditions (especially if you have a full load of people) and you don't want to be deafened on the motorway. (You also use more fuel when the windows are open at speed, and running A/C might be more efficient then.)
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 14:05   #16
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Michael J has hit the nail on the head. and it's not that air con might be more fuel efficient than open windows... it is.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 14:42   #17
auxie
I've Been Banned

[QUOTE=Oilydad;924154]What did we all do before air conditioning?

We sat in our cars with all the windows down being deafened and baked because we had no alternative, thankfully now we do, and i would not be without it just as i would not be without power steering, ABS, electric windows, sat nav, powered seats, fantastic sound system and every other feature that makes modern cars so good
auxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 15:52   #18
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Oh yes, I forgot to ask why, in our temperate climate, do we need air conditioning anyway? Of course there are the occasional summer days, especially if caught in heavy traffic, when one might hanker after it, but is it really necessary for a few days a year? Open the windows, put the heater on cool and open all the vents!
As a Heating & Air Con Eng fer the last 30 odd years I feel I should "Chuck me hat in the ring" here..

Angie has made the CLASSIC assumption that the ONLY thing Air Con does is COOL ... WRONG!!!

Most UK resisdents think the same (thats why its never taken off here in the Uk in the Domestic enviroment) ...ANY Air Con unit HEATS as well as COOLS its basic design is to keep the Room (or Car Cabin) at a set Ambient temperature dispite the fluctuations in Outside Temp ( Solar Gain, Wind Chill ect ect) it also as a "Side Issue" DRYS the air removing condesation held within the atmosphere (it was NEVER DESIGNED to "DRY" the air but does so by the fact that COOLING the air causes the Water Vapour contained in it to "Disolve out" ....( like having a warm room you will notice that "Wet Patches" appear on the windows this is the warm air coming into contact with the cold glass surface & the Water Vapour CONDESING OUT).

The same happens within the INSIDE unit of the Air Con unit... Warm air is pulled across the Heat Exchanger causing it too cool down & release the Water Vapour contained within the warm air.

As far as "Warm Plastic" & other things giving off Cancerous "Vapours" BIGGEST LOAD OF RUBBISH I EVER HEARD you may as well say Air Con units themselves give off the same (as most Heat Exchangers within A/C units are constructed of Copper & Steel & the Brazing of such metals ( any air that subsequently passes across them) will also give of Cancerous Vapours.

Sounds like even MORE CRAP from the EU to me !!! Last week I read somewhere that drinking too mush beer gave yer Cancer !!! (YET ANOTHER reet load of TAT!!!)
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 18:52   #19
Will22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Sounds like even MORE CRAP from the EU to me !!! Last week I read somewhere that drinking too mush beer gave yer Cancer !!! (YET ANOTHER reet load of TAT!!!)
Bloody hell I'm fcuked, and I was enjoying my beer too, now where 's that bottle of Jack Daniels?
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 18:59   #20
Rustee
Rustee

That reminds me, I left the second half of an egg and cress sandwich in the glovebox yesterday lunchtime intended for the dog but it's a black car and been in the sun all day.