Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why i'm pleased i bought my Volvo

Views : 2436

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 02:49   #11
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawklord View Post
The tight turning circle was what impressed me, !
You have obviously NEVER driven a C70 !!!! The C70 has a turning Circle of a 1958 London Routemaster Crash Box Bus with defective steering (It is Truly HORRENDOUS!!!!) LOL!!!!!

& what I like about Volvo is ....... I get to Chat to you lot at Silly O'clock in the morning Coz I've done a cartilage in me back & can't lie down !!!!!

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 08:59   #12
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Ive now had 5 volvos, (2 dogs) 3 beauty's. 850, V70 and now an xc90. All bought by my me at at least 6 years old or more.

And its the feeling you get each time as you close the door for the first time and stare back down the cave like rear of cream leather and think omg this is actually mine.

I love em
Bill Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Edmondson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:12   #13
Rustee
Rustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith240 View Post
Really pleased its still going strong Rusty. That was my fourth 240 and having had an 850 and now on my third S80 I wonder what it is about Volvos. I know, look after them and they just carry on !
Keith, the 240 is a credit to your excellent maintenance over the years and I hope to keep her up to that standard. I've added a Volvo dog guard and bought a 7 seat kit since I took her on as I can't resist the goodies.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:32   #14
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post

What makes you pleased you bought yours?
Where does one begin?! First of all it looks beautiful, the proportions are superb. Neither of us had a real clue about the different but similar Volvos and simply phoned our Volvophile friends as we were getting fairly desperate for a reliable but relatively uncomplicated car to replace the faithful Moggie Traveller. They just happened to want to sell one of theirs so after a bit of haggling we ended up with the white 240 Torslanda. After standing for a year the car had inevitable teething problems, some of which I've asked about in these forums (I never know, should that be 'fora'? And does that mean that the single of 'flora' is 'florum'?!) but the result is a superb sort-of classic for quite a bit less than £1,000. It runs very smoothly, the seats are about as comfortable as a car seat can be, it's warm, quiet, incredibly easy to drive (though neither of us likes reversing it all that much, can never quite judge the distance at the back) and that amazing turnng circle. So I think we're hooked! Oh, and how many cars have a little clip on the windscreen to secure a car-park ticket? I've certainly never seen one. Thoughtful, them Swedes!

As a footnote, we were driven about in an almost brand new BMW the other day, and both agreed that we much preferred our nineteen year-old Volvo!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 19:36   #15
twinturbo

Ahhh,

The parking ticket clip, yep that's a clincher. I thought that it was a gr8 idea on my 850.

Having owned Ford/Vauxhall/volvo/Audi/VW/Etc over the last 18 years. I have to say that a modern Volvo does not significantly set itself apart from other big european manufacturers (apart from the French and Italian stuff).

If you look at a lot of the posts on the forum it's a problem, gripe or a fault. A bit of dealer bashing thrown in too. Just the same as every other forum.

I would be a lot happier if Volvo had not sold out and gone FWD.

The V40 is a good car, but I could not (hand on heart) give you a solid reason to choose it over a Focus/Golf/Etc...

It's all down to design, taste, brand and familiarity.

30 Years ago? Cortina Vs's 240 ... EASY!

TT
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 19:40   #16
twinturbo

From another post

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130451

As an aside.. I bought a car 4 years ago for £72, replaced the map sensor as it was faulty and then 4 weeks later did 600 mile round trip on a parts gathering trip. The car did a further 10K trouble free before I got rid of it.
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 19:49   #17
RUTV70
RUTRUNNER

Can't/won't pin it down to anything specific...it's simply the car as a whole.!
That feeling of strength/power/safety/reliability/longevity...and it doesn't look like so many of the other "normal" cars/euroboxes on the road...it's a VOLVO...it LOOKS like a VOLVO should.!
...but I have to confess that I can't ever see myself buying a newer/updated P2 model..I like the classic P1 so much more..in many ways.
I'd be far more inclined to go BACK in years...not forward..!!!

Neil

Previous Volvos...264 auto...loved it.
340 manual...not so loved.
760 auto...loved it.
RUTV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 20:12   #18
Laney760
VOC Member

Talking

764 TD GLE Top of the range very spacious handsome luxury car with all the toys, low mileage, rust free, cost only £325, good mpg, so comfortable, handles better than a 765, simple cheap mechanics and servicing, it doesnt look like most other boring cars on the road, I love the silver-green metallic thick paint thats unphased by bird poo, the electic seat is awesome for short people, it hasn't broken down in the two and a half years I've owned it, the massive 745/945 roofrack fits it, it can run on bio or svo or wvo, it pulls like a train, self-levelling suspension carries bit weights, I'll stop now.......

I forgot the awesome turning circle!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 20:15   #19
twinturbo

I want an amazon estate with a T5 2.3+M90 ...

Did seriously consider a V90 24V when i was looking at 850T5's but availability won the day for the T5.

TT
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 20:59   #20
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
What makes you pleased you bought yours?
The comfort on long jouneys and the fact that it cost peanuts!