Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why i'm pleased i bought my Volvo

Views : 2450

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 22:57   #21
irishcarfan
Master Member

Today I went to a car park in the 940 that was pretty small and tight with very few spaces left. I followed a new model VW Scirocco into the car park and I just happened to think to myself at that moment how nice it is for small cars being able to fit in anywhere. The first space that came up was pretty awkward and tight with a wall on the left that would make things difficult, and a concrete pillar behind to the right that was the icing on the cake. The VW stopped and looked at it, then kept going. I pulled up then and decided eff it, this looks like a challenge - let's have a go. A quick turn to the left, a few feet forward, followed by a 45 degree reverse that gradually became more severe until the very last moment. Sure enough, in one perfect sweep, the 940 was in. 10 seconds. A BMW X5 had pulled up in that time and the driver gave me a big smile and I nodded as if to say 'that's right, what a park job!' In truth, it was all 940. A few mins later, when I gathered my things and left the car, another car pulled up on front of me: The same VW Scirocco... still circling. Well, I felt great!!!

And that's what I love about the Volvo 940. A ridiculously tight turning circle that makes every journey a pleasure. A U-turn, sir? Right away!
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 00:45   #22
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
What makes you pleased you bought yours?
I have a 240 GLT and love it for it's reliability, comfort, load lugging abilities. For the low £350 purchase price and it's faultless reliability, I can't beat it. I like its nippy ness.

In the 2 years I have owned it I have only spent a very modest £400 on basic service items.

I have left it at airports and it always starts first time. I like the styling. When you think of volvo you do think of the 240

Out of a 1985 340GL a 1986 740GLE the 240 is my best volvo.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 01:14   #23
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustee View Post
just thought i'd post up why i'm pleased i bought my volvo after an epic trip this afternoon. It has taken me five hours to do the trip from south london to ipswich today about only 110 miles but stuck in traffic jams all the way and on the m25. During that time in other old cars i would be cautious about boiling up but the good old 240 temperature guage stayed completely constant so i could easily relax in the comfy seats and listen to the radio instead with complete confidence and at the end of the journey don't feel frazzled at all. Quality!

What makes you pleased you bought yours?
safety!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 18:48   #24
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
And does that mean that the single of 'flora' is 'florum'?!
No, it's flos. 3rd declension neuter.

I was looking in a posh shop window today where sea salt was being sold in little earthenware pots labelled 'flos salis' (flower of salt). Apparently this is a big thing in Portugal.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 19:10   #25
kebab10
Premier Member

Bought mine to transport the grandchildren around safely. That and it looks good to.

2005 V50 2.0d
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 20:46   #26
Daim
Brit in Germany

A lot of reasons... Happy I bought my C30 because...:

- it has looks, no ther car can offer.
- it is very economical.
- it is cheap to run (wear and tear).
- it is very safe (nice to know that IF...).
- it has a very nice colour combination.
- it has been the best car sofar (when it comes to issues and repairs).
- it is easy to park.
- it is comfortable inside.
- it has great long distance travelling abilities.
- it can convert the lights from LHD to RHD within a flick of a switch.
- a lot of other reasons.

Mainly though because I love the looks...!!!

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 21:31   #27
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
No, it's flos. 3rd declension neuter.

I was looking in a posh shop window today where sea salt was being sold in little earthenware pots labelled 'flos salis' (flower of salt). Apparently this is a big thing in Portugal.
Of course, even my very little (around 20% in O-level, if I remember correctly) Latin should have told me that. Thanks anyway, I shall endeavour to remember it for future use!!

Then there's 'Flos Campi' by Vaughan Williams, I really should have remembered that.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:48   #28
AndyPants
VOC Member

I always think that pre-2000 Volvos at least offer insanely good value for money for what you get. You get a hell of a lot of car for very little money. Whether it was my 460 with its insanely low mileage and like new condition, my C70 which again is immaculate and cost about £33k new or my 760 that cost about £28k new... in 1989! and managed 330 miles in one trip no problems. These cars are built to last, have all the creature comforts (that usually work!) and are comfortable and even if you get a fault its usually minor and the car will still get you where you want to go, althought driving my 760 with an almost bust steering rack wasn't the most fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcarfan View Post
Today I went to a car park in the 940 that was pretty small and tight with very few spaces left. I followed a new model VW Scirocco into the car park and I just happened to think to myself at that moment how nice it is for small cars being able to fit in anywhere. The first space that came up was pretty awkward and tight with a wall on the left that would make things difficult, and a concrete pillar behind to the right that was the icing on the cake. The VW stopped and looked at it, then kept going. I pulled up then and decided eff it, this looks like a challenge - let's have a go. A quick turn to the left, a few feet forward, followed by a 45 degree reverse that gradually became more severe until the very last moment. Sure enough, in one perfect sweep, the 940 was in. 10 seconds. A BMW X5 had pulled up in that time and the driver gave me a big smile and I nodded as if to say 'that's right, what a park job!' In truth, it was all 940. A few mins later, when I gathered my things and left the car, another car pulled up on front of me: The same VW Scirocco... still circling. Well, I felt great!!!

And that's what I love about the Volvo 940. A ridiculously tight turning circle that makes every journey a pleasure. A U-turn, sir? Right away!
Yes that works up until a point! When I went on holiday I found a motorway service station car park that was similar to as you describe and although I got my 760 into a space, they were simply too small. Too tight and the 760 stuck out over a foot out the back which wasn't an option in an already tight car park! One thing I find is although the turning circle is good, unlike modern cars you don't have the courtesy of rounded bumpers to help work around the massive length of the car

Still if I was in the C70 I wouldn't have even attempted it... probably would have struggled driving around the car park let alone parking in it!
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:03   #29
irishcarfan
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
Still if I was in the C70 I wouldn't have even attempted it... probably would have struggled driving around the car park let alone parking in it!
I'm afraid there is a 98 C70 in our house, too... When driving that, the thought of a multi-story carpark actually breaks me into a sweat and a 'U-turn' is in fact a gentle, sweeping arc around the entire city. It's the only car that you makes you plot a course to the shops before setting off! Turning circle of a great ocean going vessel. I could go on...!
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irishcarfan For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:12   #30
AndyPants
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcarfan View Post
I'm afraid there is a 98 C70 in our house, too... When driving that, the thought of a multi-story carpark actually breaks me into a sweat and a 'U-turn' is in fact a gentle, sweeping arc around the entire city. It's the only car that you makes you plot a course to the shops before setting off! Turning circle of a great ocean going vessel. I could go on...!
That is very true.