Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

choosing between SE and R-Design ?

Views : 19987

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2011, 12:28   #1

Default choosing between SE and R-Design ?

Hi

Im choosing between the D3 163 2 models. I like the look of the R-Design but the SE has the extras like elec tailgate, auto wipers/ lights.

Has anyone got any advice from when they had to choose their model or regret their decision.

Im surprised the R-Design has leather but their not heated as standard. Is it worth paying for the heated or does the car heater warm quickly on a winter morning ?

Also any comments on the base model stereo on the R-Design. ?

Thanks in advance.
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 13:16   #2
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Hi

Im choosing between the D3 163 2 models. I like the look of the R-Design but the SE has the extras like elec tailgate, auto wipers/ lights.

Has anyone got any advice from when they had to choose their model or regret their decision.

Im surprised the R-Design has leather but their not heated as standard. Is it worth paying for the heated or does the car heater warm quickly on a winter morning ?

Thanks in advance.
I chose an SE over an R-Design as I thought the SE represented better value for money and I did like the options as standard in the SE. I now have an SE Lux and it feels much more of an executive interior with the leather and it holds its value at least as well as an SE.

I think you will find that you can negotiate better deals on the SE/Lux than with the R-Design.

FWIW, the dealer told me he sold far more of the SE Lux than the R-Design, precisely because of the VFM.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 14:24   #3
jimbg
Master Member

I went with the D3 AWD SE Lux Premium for the same sorts of reasons as Ransman.

IMHO it feels like a better quality finished interior and has all the toys that you could need and externally looks classier than the R Design.

It's down to personal opinion at the end of the day?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 14:44   #4
capt.hugh

Depends if you want a car that looks like a mud plugger or a classy and sporty SUV. I think you can see where I am going with this!!!
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 15:20   #5
stu0710
Master Member

At the time of buying mine I chose between an SE Lux and R-Design and picked the R-Design. Due to dealer incentives at the time the difference between the two was only approx £700 - (se lux the more expensive). I agonised and went for the R-Design in the bright Red - partly the reason but also because of the harder ride, easier to clean wheels and the interior. Sure the SE Lux had more toys, uprated stereo, Xenons, power seats etc but I figured I wasn't going to use them - also I think that the SE lux / SE really needed to benefit from metallic paint(an additional £600) - whereas IMHO the R-Design looks great in solid red or white. Against the SE the R-Design is better value as although you lose toys you gain the leather and IMHO the soft sports leather in the R-Design is even better than that in the SE lux models, plus you get sports seats and 18" as opposed to 17" wheels.

I didn't miss heated seats- even in -15 deg last winter, the standard stereo is fine although you don't get a USB only an aux in jack.

I don't regret my choice, but it depends upon what you want!
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 16:05   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Hi

Thanks in advance.
Many dislike the electric tailgate - I like it though I think its great although could live without it.

If you not had rain sensitive wipers before you wont miss not having them.Im not over keen on the functionality of the set up in XC60.You have to press a switch to activate them every time you get in and start the car and they only work with the stalk in the off position. Rain sensitive wipers sometimes get things wrong (on all makes) with them staying on when not raining or not coming on quick enough when it is.The fastest speed on the wipers is actually also quite slow although theres not a lot you can do about this!!!

Believe the R Design does not come with rear parking sensors yet SE does. If going R Design spec the rear sensors - maybe the front as well? - Id be tempted by the parking camera and the front blind spot camera.

Re the base stereo most on here think its fine and it is although I do not think the upgrade to Hi Performance or Premium Stereo is worth the money even though they sound ok,although I would spec the Hi Perf stereo upgrade if going for R Design as you get a USB slot - think its £400?

Heated seats - never bothered me - had them before and only used them a few times - although if your used to them - spec them - leather can be cold in winter! - nice to have not imperative.

Depends really how much you want to spend.

If I was buying another I would probably go for R Design in white with petrol 240 T5 Powershift specced up to SE Lux Premium along with sunroof premium stereo, parking cameras and front blind spot cameras and all the adaptive cruise control and queue assist features although I fear this is in the region of 42k. Fuel consumption on this may be heavy although wouldnt bother me that much as im not doing mega miles.

If going for R Design I would choose white as its not extra cost and it looks good especially with black windows.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 16:45   #7
DesertDog

I got the best of both worlds with my GCC spec T6 - All the options that I wanted, plus the sexiness of a Passion Red R-Design.

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 18:45   #8
Mike 700
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi

Thanks in advance.
Had an XC70 in SE Lux fully loaded, and then an XC90 SE with extras and now an XC60 R Design with rear sensors and heated seats and family pack plus a couple of other extras.
The lack of an auto dipping rear mirror is annoying sometimes, but nothing to worry about, auto wipers are not missed at all, but fully manoueverable rear side mirrors are really badly missed - through laziness- and bi xenons are not all their cracked up to be,

The soft leather of the R Design, the sportier look, and the Sport gear mode make up for any loss of kit.

Hope this helps?
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike 700 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 18:55   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Default 12345

My stats on performance for D5 here

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 19:34   #10
Squawker

Rain sensor and heated seats back & front are listed as standard on my R-Design, which I'll be picking up tomorrow at 16:00 Must be national differences.

You wouldn't be able to sell a care here in Norway without at least heated seats in the front I suppose. Motor and cabin heater with timer will be nice here!
Squawker is offline   Reply With Quote