Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 D5 with no power every now and again.

Views : 1119

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2013, 16:44   #1
watson-lfc

Default C30 D5 with no power every now and again.

Hey everyone!

Seen as though there are some clever people on here thought i'd post a little problem my C30 has. its on a 58 plate with 67k.
Driving along on cruise control the other day, pulled off at the junction and had to stop. Went to set off again and she had no power. Sitting at idle and revving up was fine but as soon as you were moving it was like it was in limp mode, but with no warning light. You can get up to speed eventually but its like driving a 1.6!
It does the same thing when overtaking. Floor it in 4th to overtake, change up gears and cruise. go to accelerate again and nothing. It resets itself if you stop the engine and start again though.

I have had the DPF removed and a remap by Shark and its been fine until recently but i've done a bit of looking on here and it seems to happen to normal non-mapped engines as well so I'm not overly convinced its totally the maps fault.
I had a quick look at the swirl arm and its not physically broken, still attached at both ends all be it you can swivel the arm on the joints so don't think its that either.

It's going into volvo next week for them to look at it, they probably won't find anything as usual, but i wouldn't mind some tips if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 22:30   #2
marc
VOC Member

I'd take it to Shark to have a look at, after all, the do servicing too. It helps also that they have V50 D5 which they have got plenty of experience with.

C30 D5 SE Lux with added Polestar!!

C30CREW.COM
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 06:58   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson-lfc View Post
Hey everyone!

Seen as though there are some clever people on here thought i'd post a little problem my C30 has. its on a 58 plate with 67k.
Driving along on cruise control the other day, pulled off at the junction and had to stop. Went to set off again and she had no power. Sitting at idle and revving up was fine but as soon as you were moving it was like it was in limp mode, but with no warning light. You can get up to speed eventually but its like driving a 1.6!
It does the same thing when overtaking. Floor it in 4th to overtake, change up gears and cruise. go to accelerate again and nothing. It resets itself if you stop the engine and start again though.

I have had the DPF removed and a remap by Shark and its been fine until recently but i've done a bit of looking on here and it seems to happen to normal non-mapped engines as well so I'm not overly convinced its totally the maps fault.
I had a quick look at the swirl arm and its not physically broken, still attached at both ends all be it you can swivel the arm on the joints so don't think its that either.

It's going into volvo next week for them to look at it, they probably won't find anything as usual, but i wouldn't mind some tips if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Not sure that a Volvo dealer is allowed to work on a car that has had the DPF removed. If a system required for MOT or emissions standards has been removed they can't sign the car off after a repair.

The fault sounds like the ECU is bumping into a limiting condition due to a fault in the re-map. Volvo may have written the ECU software to cause a warning code if the DPF is removed, even if the map is changed.

Cheaper DPF systems that use diesel regen to burn out the Carbon are one big problem area best avoided. They contaminate the engine oil and don't last forever if the engine is subject to a lot of time at idle or short tripping in winter etc.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 21:12   #4
mlmcelligott

dont know is it related but my v50 d5 does something similar where it loses boost sometimes on the motorway and then goes back to normal on the back roads or around town. Thinking it could be related to the boost control valve being at fault or a leak in one of the vacuum pipes. My car isnt showing any codes either.
mlmcelligott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 18:05   #5
shark90
Shark Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
The fault sounds like the ECU is bumping into a limiting condition due to a fault in the re-map. Volvo may have written the ECU software to cause a warning code if the DPF is removed, even if the map is changed.
I tend to disagree, as the car has been fine for a number of months before this started to happen.

Matthew, if you'd like us to take a look at it, please give us a shout.

Regards

Ben
t: 01623 332233

10% off remaps and vehicle servicing to VolvoForums members
shark90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 19:44   #6
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark90 View Post
I tend to disagree, as the car has been fine for a number of months before this started to happen.

Matthew, if you'd like us to take a look at it, please give us a shout.

Regards

Ben
See that DPF removal makes car illegal to have on road and MOT will fail any car that has had it removed from February 2014 http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/leg...n-dpf-removal/
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote