Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

random boost drop on motorway

Views : 1267

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2013, 20:58   #1
mlmcelligott

Default random boost drop on motorway

hi

I have a vacuum issue on my 2007 v50 1.6d

Around town the car pulls like a train and never misses a beat. After about an hour on the motorway the car will loose boost. When that happens I can put the car in third and keep the foot flat to the floor and after thirty seconds or so it'll boost fine for ten seconds and then it'll loose boost again and the car will slow down. Again, after about thirty seconds it'll boost again and it'll repeat this cycle until I get off the motorway and then after a few minutes the boost will come back again and it'll drive fine until i get on the motorway again.

Ive made the assumption thats its got nothing to do with the turbo since it works fine on the back roads and in town. It only happens at high speed and only after about an hours driving so it has to be heat related. Im thinking its either a vacuum leak on a hose that only presents itself when it gets hot and expands, the vacuum control solenoid thats getting stuck or a leak on the turbo diaphragm...

Any ideas?

Last edited by mlmcelligott; Dec 7th, 2013 at 21:14.
mlmcelligott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 21:23   #2
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Hi
I have had the same thing on my 2009 V50 1.6D. Dealer could not find an issue and the fault was intermittent. Eventually became a permanent problem and happened at low speed. Fault diagnosed as two things:
1)split hose (can't remember where but it was linked to 2)
2)stuck exhaust gas recirculation valve (?) which need replacing
Now works perfectly. Had I / they found the split hose first I wonder whether that would have fixed things.

To me it had felt like the Turbo as like you say it would not rev past 3000 but not in the end.

regards

Richard
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 21:32   #3
mlmcelligott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Hi
I have had the same thing on my 2009 V50 1.6D. Dealer could not find an issue and the fault was intermittent. Eventually became a permanent problem and happened at low speed. Fault diagnosed as two things:
1)split hose (can't remember where but it was linked to 2)
2)stuck exhaust gas recirculation valve (?) which need replacing
Now works perfectly. Had I / they found the split hose first I wonder whether that would have fixed things.

To me it had felt like the Turbo as like you say it would not rev past 3000 but not in the end.

regards

Richard
Thanks Richard

I changed the EGR valve a few weeks ago and that solved another issue I was having so you just confirmed that maybe i have a split vacuum hose somewhere.

Are you familiar with how to check for a leak? I have new vacuum hose bought but when i had a look at the car earlier the vacuum hose disappears into the engine after it passes between the gear box and the fuel filter. I took the airbox out but still didnt have enough space to see where it was going. I found where it comes out the back of the engine and connects back into the connector where it meets the brake vacuum pipe before connecting into the vacuum pump. Im assuming theres a vacuum solenoid control valve along the route somewhere as well as a reservoir.

Whats the best way to access these or check them?
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 21:35   #4
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

On another car forum I used to be on, the EGR issue came up so often that people devised their own "fix" to effectively disable the EGR permanently. It involved jamming a 10p coin (which they said was coincidentally an exact fit for the bore of the pipe) into the valve, so that it was effectively permanently shut.

The EGR valve opens to let a measured amount of exhaust gas back into the inlet side, so as to burn off more of the residue and improve emmissions. If it lets too much through, then the engine will choke on its own fumes, and because it is constantly exposed to the heat and filth of untreated exhaust gases (remember, its before the cat and the baffles and everything else, just raw, hot exhaust) it snots up quite quickly apparently.

I'm not suggesting that anyway should disable the EGR valve in this way, its on there for a reason, but lots of people seem to have success with cleaning them out.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 21:52   #5
mlmcelligott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
On another car forum I used to be on, the EGR issue came up so often that people devised their own "fix" to effectively disable the EGR permanently. It involved jamming a 10p coin (which they said was coincidentally an exact fit for the bore of the pipe) into the valve, so that it was effectively permanently shut.

The EGR valve opens to let a measured amount of exhaust gas back into the inlet side, so as to burn off more of the residue and improve emmissions. If it lets too much through, then the engine will choke on its own fumes, and because it is constantly exposed to the heat and filth of untreated exhaust gases (remember, its before the cat and the baffles and everything else, just raw, hot exhaust) it snots up quite quickly apparently.

I'm not suggesting that anyway should disable the EGR valve in this way, its on there for a reason, but lots of people seem to have success with cleaning them out.

The EGR on my car is electronic and not related to the vacuum system so i can rule that out of the list of possible issues, thank goodness! Im thinking the vacuum pipe, reservoir or the control valve are not holding the vacuum pressure when they get hot...
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 22:07   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

My attention would be going to the boost control valve, recirc valve (not EGR) and actuator.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 22:12   #7
mlmcelligott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
My attention would be going to the boost control valve, recirc valve (not EGR) and actuator.

Any idea how to get to the boost control valve?
Old Dec 7th, 2013, 22:42   #8
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmcelligott View Post
The EGR on my car is electronic and not related to the vacuum system so i can rule that out of the list of possible issues, thank goodness! Im thinking the vacuum pipe, reservoir or the control valve are not holding the vacuum pressure when they get hot...
I don't know the specifics on your car, but on the other forum I used to attend, it wasn't a vacuum pipe that bunged, it was the actual pipe that carries the exhaust gas. Inside there is a little valve which is controlled electrically by the ECU, but if the pipe that the valve sits in is mucky, it can't open and shut properly without sticking, so the ECU could be saying "right valve, close fully now", so the motor/actuator tries to do so, but the valve is physically stuck so stays open.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no boost, turbo, v50 1.6d no boost, vacuum leak