Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 XC90 D5 Auto The definitive AWD fixes

Views : 498

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 13:56   #1
Maccartw

Default 2002 XC90 D5 Auto The definitive AWD fixes

Dear Volvo lovers,

Thank you for the help you have been so far in bringing me up to speed with XC90 things; having come late to the club. I have discovered (courtesy of being code read and inspected at my local indy) she is missing her AWD this is listed as ANGLE SLEEVE DRIVE HAS STRIPPED.

Many, many, many, many posts listed here later my eyes and brain are stinging.

Could someone please give a more definitive answer to the fix. I have called Southampton Volvo and they have a sleeve at £272.00 but also a repair kit at £115.00 they were a bit vague as to which one it is.

1. Is it the sleeve i need or the kit
2. Does either of those prices sound (ballpark) right in relation to the problem
3. Could anybody please supply me with a video or picture/text guide link to repairing this myself.

Unrelated issue but useful for my beloved wife parking. Parking assist problems as well, no sensor fault listed on VADIS told probably the control unit- would you persist with new parts to get the old system working, clean the loom up removing dirt, damp etc or strip the old bits out and buy a £50 new 3rd party kit instead?

Kind Regards to all cherished helpers in this forum, it is appreciated.
Maccartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 14:12   #2
Maccartw

Sorry, 2003 not 2002
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 17:57   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I believe (but not 100% confident - please someone confirm) that the repair kit actually contains more parts than just the sleeve - i.e. seals, grease, washers etc. There are a few Volvo anomalies where repair kits are cheaper than single individual components.

In most cases replacing the sleeve does the job but in some (maybe 1 in 3 or 1 in 4) the splines on the transfer box are damaged as well and the transfer box needs to be replaced. (£1000 exchange from Volvo, £150-£250 unknown second hand on e-bay). You cannot tell if this is the case until you have removed the transfer box - which requires most of the disassembly.

Also - a failed splined sleeve does not cause any error codes, so not sure what the indie was referring to.

If you search a bit more on here someone has done a good thread with photos.

With regard to parking assist - do you get an error message on the dash about it?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 20:59   #4
ts72

Here you go,

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=254393

Did mine recently and I took photos of the complete service kit plus part no's etc (all within the thread). The service kit I got from Volvo was around £110 last summer.

Fun job mind you
ts72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ts72 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 22:14   #5
Maccartw

Absolute legend, thank you, thank you. How did I miss this thread? Should be in a separate section marked Workshop Guides.

Well there's my weekend filled. Now to blag the local garage for the Enormous Gear Puller. (........title for my next children's book?)

RE: parking sensors, no faults found on the sensors, I have been advised if it is NOT a sensor fault then replace the control unit. £160.00 from volvo, £85 from fleabay. Hmmm.
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 22:24   #6
owenfackrell
Premier Member

When we got ours some times when putting it to reverse the sensors would go off continually as though there was some thing in the way. When checking something else in the passenger side boot I found that the control unit was loose and could move around freely. Since fixing back in place I've not had any problems with it so it's worth checking out.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 22:28   #7
Maccartw

Sorry Tarraton to your other question.
Yes, message on the dash, not entirely happy with the display though. I had the binnacle repaired by Cartronix to clear a SRS fault, which they couldn't. They advised me that someone had attempted to repair the binnacle before and left off all the heatsinks. They couldn't clear the fault.
Indy said there were stored fault codes on the system when he used a basic code reader but that VADIS/VADA found no faults on the system. Indy said he was inclined to think VADIS will be the correct one.