Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight Failure Service Requird

Views : 8066

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 19:02   #1
Raddish

Default Headlight Failure Service Requird

Hi,
I've hot a 2010 xc70 d5 auto.
On start up I get a warning 'Headlight Failure Service Required' for a few seconds, and a orange bulb symbol. I've noticed this also doesn't move the headlights on start up. Times I don't get this message they move on start up. I've noticed that with or without the message , both lights work, and they turn with the steering wheel on driving the vehicle
Today I went to a vehicle battery place near me. They confirmed the battery is a Volvo battery 800a 90ah. It's has when tested 12.41v, and 802ah, and when started car pulled 92ah, also car alternater was giving 14.53v.
I've ready the fault is often the battery, but not too sure mine is, I think battery is original, should I just replace? If so with a 90or110ah? Or is the fault somewhere else?
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 21:06   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The battery on my XC70 was 10 years old when I replaced it earlier in the year so yours may not be quite ready to skip just yet. Rather then spending upwards of £100 on changing a battery which may be perfectly serviceable, get the fault codes read with VIDA to see what's causing the error code.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 11:06   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I would disconnect both headlamp units and reconnect them and try again.
Could just be a dodgy connection.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 17:49   #4
Raddish

Had codes ready today 5 errors for right headlight level mechanism etc. All now cleared and later on same dashboard error came up.

How should I disconnect lights?
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 14:42   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

If they are anything like mine (S80 MY08) then you should have 2 "tent peg" like steels to hold the unit in position.
Remove those and slide forward, plug is on the back and takes a little work to wiggle off.

You'll only need to remove the right one as that is the one with the error.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 19:22   #6
Model flyer
Master Member

The symptom your getting is usually due to voltage drop when starting. I had that warning on and off for a couple of years usually when the temp dropped in late autumn. Car started ok and everything else worked fine. Battery was the original and after standing in cold overnight the voltage would read 12volt or a fraction under at battery with a meter. New battery cured the warning. If you do fit a new battery make sure it's fitted in accordance with Volvo instruction. Switch off and allow to stand for ten minutes before disconnecting battery .I caught my local tyre battery shop just as the fitter , I use that term loosely ,was about to disconnect the battery with the engine running !

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 19:59   #7
adsk

I had this error message when my car was brand new. I normally park my car in the garage. When I visited Scotland at Easter it was parked outside and the error message came up. I went to the dealer and they applied a software update which cured the problem. This was in 2009. I'd be amazed if by 2017 your car hadn't had this update applied but it might be worth asking.
adsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 21:19   #8
Semnoz

My 2008 D5 was doing that occasionally when starting the engine.

It still had its original Volvo battery. New battery solved the problem earlier this summer.

Voltage on the original battery with engine off was 12.3V however it dropped considerably when cranking the engine and took a second to get back up again. The new battery voltage (Bosch S5) doesn't drop as much - as reported via ODB/diagnostics logging I was doing before and after battery change.

Old tired batteries don't just have lower 'resting' voltage, they struggle to deliver 'power' when needed - the latter is harder to detect.

Last edited by Semnoz; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 21:21.
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 23:24   #9
Raddish

Thanks chaps, I'll remove it this weekend, if it still occurs I'll then change battery. Which one 90 or 110 ah?
Old Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:12   #10
Moose Test
Master Member

Just a thought but - could you not prove/disprove the low battery capacity theory by using a set of jump leads and a second/friend's/neighbour's vehicle, before you go to the expense of a new battery?

With the donors' alternator running and good battery tied into your power system that should be more than enough total instantaneous capacity, given that your's already has enough starting current available.

For whats it's worth, I ran my XC70 2008 D5 with an obviously degraded/failing battery for a couple of months and whilst I had poor starting performance and several 'low battery' warning messages, I didn't encounter any headlight issues.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote