Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85353

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2019, 23:54   #111
blueosprey90
Master Member

We need a sticky thread with a guide to who's who. I just can't think of a catchy phrase to name it.

Each entry should look something like this:

blueosprey90 --- Jeff ---- '57 PV444 - New Milford, Connecticut - USA.

On a B4-B16 Facebook page, Eldon H., who I think might be arcturus on these boards, posted some nice underside photos and pointed out that I was missing some spring clips. Another fellow, Toje C. (who I don't think is here) posted up the part number.

The spring clips are part 659682 and go for $2.32 each, so not expensive.

Now, if you are referring to the brake cable though, I couldn't figure out what cable to buy. The part for my '57 doesn't seem to be available. I didn't know whether to buy older 444 cables or newer 555 cables. I didn't want to order a pair only to have to return them.

Now that I have it off, I'll post up a picture and the community can help me decide.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 14:20   #112
arcturus
arcturus

No,I'm not Eldon.If you look at my avatar you will see that I live in Portugal
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 15:31   #113
blueosprey90
Master Member

Well, I'm not very good at names.

I still can't get Kim and Kloe Kardashian straight. (American internet drama queens) And then just forget about Kourtney. Then there's that pesky half sister, Kristin, I think.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 14:15   #114
blueosprey90
Master Member

Underside passenger side floor: Spent weekend prepping the underside floor, then painting with POR-15. Hammer & dolly work on the flange damaged from improper jacking. Not perfect, but much improved. Two coats of POR-15, one coat of Eastwood Chassis black. Will probably finish with one more coat of the Eastwood.

With this very unpleasant task out of the way, I can start to attack all the left over loose ends and get the car on the road.

Seat belts are my next target.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 14:46   #115
blueosprey90
Master Member

Oil change, primarily because I had a nuisance oil leak at the drain plug. Replaced a copper compression washer with a fiber washer. Toasted the copper washer trying to anneal it, so had to use what was in the box of bits.

Had some oil filters in my spares. A Fram CH-847 PL that I decided not to use and will probably discard. I used a #551304 (box also marked 6F14C3 -/ 110110Q1) of unknown origin and manufacture. Filters appear very flimsy. I’m not sure how to prime the filter. Will probably pull the plugs and spin the engine until I get oil pressure.

Still fiddling with my parking brake. Added a return spring that was missing where the main cable joins the cables leading to the brakes. But I still can’t get the driver’s side rear to engage fully. I have a missing front anchor point and a rube goldberg repair and I think the cables have a slightly different pull length. But for now, I’m done.

I did add an anti-rattle clip on the brake shoe separating bar and now I simply need to see if there is a torque spec for the castellated nut before finishing up with the hub.

With some JB Weld epoxy, fabricated some shoulder bolts to attach the 3 point seat belts to the B pillars. There is an existing hidden nut in the pillar that I will use, although I think it is only sized at M8 (or perhaps M10). I wish it had more meat, but it is what it is. I should be a bit safer with a shoulder harness.

I had a major snafu rebuilding my race motor for the MGA, so I have been able to continue to devote attention to the PV 444. First race weekend in three weeks. Will be running my spare engine.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 16:20   #116
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Jeff;

Pulling spark plugs and cranking until oil pressure is indicated or Oil Indicator goes out (with preferably a prefilled oil filter) is a good practice for first start after a long inactive time...to optimize, you can add pulling valve cover and preoiling the valve and rocker components, and oil will make its way to lifters down pushrods...

There is no torque specified for Drumnut since it must wind up at a cotter-pin alignment...I suggest 80-100ft/lbs, then if necessary, continue turning to next alignment opportunity.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 13:17   #117
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post

I had a major snafu rebuilding my race motor for the MGA, so I have been able to continue to devote attention to the PV 444. First race weekend in three weeks. Will be running my spare engine.
Sorry to hear about the engine issue. Hope to meet you at Lime Rock I'll be bringing the 1800s.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 15:15   #118
blueosprey90
Master Member

On the shoulder bolts for the three point seat belts.

I used a flange washer, then extended the flange with two SAE washers, then I added a piece that I made out of those connectors for threaded rod. The connector is hex shaped, threaded and is about an inch long. I placed it in my drill and then ran it up against the grinding wheel to flatten out all of the corners. Then cut it down to about a third of an inch with a dremmel tool. Glommed on the JB Weld and screwed down the threaded piece. Then some paint.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 16:21   #119
blueosprey90
Master Member

Race car is loaded up for Lime Rock tomorrow and Saturday. Weather expected to be unsettled with showers.

VintageWrench should be running his 1800. Rumor is that Alan Ward (Cape Cod) is coming with a Volvo 544. I knew him from the days when he raced a Formcar. Also I wouldn't be surprised if John Schieffelin shows up with his 544, although he may bring something older.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2019, 17:42   #120
blueosprey90
Master Member

I don't know if he is on these boards, but David G. was at the VSCCA Driver's School at Lime Rock this weekend. After the school, he managed to find himself in my race. It's hard enough being a brand new driver, but this would have been enough to send me to the nearest bar for a "restorative"

https://youtu.be/btg3oIDoK2I