Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent stalling

Views : 3632

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2018, 23:57   #21
Parisien

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhifi View Post
CEM or ECU? My understanding the CEM is inside the car? I'm going to try and have a look this week at the ECU (ie the other end of the cabling fom the TPS.

Interestingly it's been dry for a good week now, and the car has been behaving itself... right up until yesterday afternoon... (warm, dry and sunny)...

Is it still behaving itself superhifi?

P
Parisien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 22:00   #22
superhifi

Interestingly, it was fine for the latter part of last year. The problem suddenly went away and I came to the conslusion 'ignorance is bliss'...

Well about 2 weeks ago it started again, no error messages, no error codes in Vida, but around 2-3 times a week i will get the hesitant/jumpy power, and then when I let the revs drop the car will stall. Ignition off and on again, and after some turning over it will start again and then be fine.

Back to square one...
superhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 14:42   #23
scout70

Default My Issue

Have had a similar issue.

After vehicle warmed up and when clutch in and/or neutral revs drop to around 400rpm (sometimes as low as 200) then back up to the normal 800.

On one occasion after a hard acceleration overtake I dipped the clutch only for the engine to stall completely. This was while doing 60mph!

Took to Volvo Glasgow dealer and said the computer was showing no fault and they couldn't find any fault,,, £114 to tell me this.

Replaced air filter with A K&N one, I had this ready to fit any way, and replaced spark plugs. Still no joy.

Next step is will try some STP Petrol Injector Additive and go on a long run Thursday.

If not I'm going to try this throttle body clean.

I have read that disconnecting the battery and leave for 15mins, restarting engine, let idle then go on a 20min drive to reset the ECU known throttle position may help.

C30 2011 2.0l

Last edited by scout70; Mar 19th, 2019 at 14:44.
scout70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 20:41   #24
superhifi

Hi Scout, looks like we have similar spec'd cars!

What's weird is I went through all this pain last year and then the problem just went away! I assumed a combination of things I had done had resolved whatever was going on, but then about a month ago it started all over again.

I've got Vida and a Dice, and it's not thrown any error codes at all this time round, and i've had no error messages on the dash.

On Saturday I cut off the old connector that plugs into the Throttle and replaced it with a brand new, freshly crimped connector. This appeared to make a difference. Car seemed better at low revs and I did about 200 miles over the weekened without it skipping a beat. Right up until i left work tonight and it did it again.

Each time it's just a case of turning the ignition off, back on again, and after a good turnover the car starts again and then is fine.

I'm loathed to take it to Volvo as I know there's no diagnostic codes for them to see, and therefore 'computer says all is ok'.

I have found a way in Vida to monitor the throttle position readings, along with the 'expected' position, which I might do on a few journeys to and from work. I'm really curious to see what is actually happening when it stalls.

My next port of call is to order a replacement hrottle assembly, complete with new potentiometer housing. I've found 'Ford' ones available much cheaper than the Volvo equivalent, and from what I can see they are exactly the same part!

Let me know if you make any progress, where abouts are you based?
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 20:09   #25
Ironghost

Same issue as all of you.

In short, Ive found two shrotcuts to end the stalling issue, but it won't fix the drop in rev. But the drop stops at 350-400 rpm, preventing stalling.
*Open the throttle body mechanism and pre-tension the stepper motor. (this will increase the idle rev, if you do it wrong, you will decrease it)
*Screw a little bit on the "russian uniersal screw" on the throttle body. This makes the tension on the spring in the throttle body stiffer, reducing the speed of the rev drop when you let go of the throttle. (If you screw too much, the engine might max-rev without throttle)

None of these will fix the root cause. And I am yet to find the root cause.

Long story:
I've had the problem for close to 1.5 years now on my 2007 S40 1.8F. I started with taking the whole throttle body apart and cleaning it. By mistake, i droped all kogwheels in the mechanism and put them toghether wrong, increasing idle rev with 100rpm. The stalling had then come to an end but the engine revs ad idle still dropped down quite much.

After a few months I was sick of the rough idle and ordered VIDA and a new throttle body from ebay (checked the P/N in VIDA, might have been a ford one I bought). I replaced the throttle body and pressed reset on variables in VIDA. Left the engine on idle for 15minutes (My Air condition were broken, so I couldnt follow the step, putting on the AC).

The engine felt smooth going out on the highway, but when i then laid my foot on the clutch it stalled instantly. Mad as !"#¤# I tock a wrench and screwed around 1/4th of a turn on the "russian screw" on the throttle body. No stalling since, but a really rough idle still. This was a year ago and I've done around 15000 km since.

What I need to try this summer:
*Clean the Mass air flow sensor
*Change the EGR valve
*Update the software at a Volvo dealer (2007 stock/factory software still)
*Clean the CEM ECU with electronics cleaner
*Visually check for broken vacuum hoses

Only solution found online:
*Put a large sleeve on the throttle body cable
*Change all of the ECUs and sensors in the whole car

Other ideas:
*Change spark plugs to volvo stock ones from the dealership
*Change camshaft position sensor
*Change battery

What a mechanic told me:
*I need to replace the cable to the throttle body aswell

I haven't found a spare part cable end. Do any of you know where I can find one, or what spare part number it has?

BR
Mattias
Ironghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 20:33   #26
scout70

Well the fuel cleaner did nothing.
Next step is my local garage is going to do a compression test for any leaks during my MOT.
If this fails I'm going to attempt the throttle body clean.
I did read somewhere (now dont quote me) that resetting your ECU can solve issue!
Disconnect battery for at least 20 mins, reconnect and start engine without revving then go in a 20min drive. The ECU relearns the throttle position.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 15:51   #27
superhifi

Quote:
I haven't found a spare part cable end. Do any of you know where I can find one, or what spare part number it has?[/B]

BR
Mattias
Hi Mattias, i've recently replaced the connector that plugs into my throttle body, you have a couple of options - the first being buy the connector and crimp onto existing cabling (quite fiddly, I chose this option as I am an electrical engineer by trade and I had a crimping tool that fitted the connector) or you can buy a new connector pre crimped with tails, which you would then just need to attach onto the end of the loom using standard crimps, solder or whatever method you prefer.

Have a look on eBay for part number 1-1419168, there are two versions, with a keyed square edge on one side or the other - make sure you get the correct one! One seller offers to crimp the connector onto 300mm cables for an extra £1.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-1419168...MAAOSw~xtcRg8V

Give me a shout if you're not sure which one to get.

J
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 15:53   #28
superhifi

Another update, just received and fitted a replacment throttle body assembly from AutoDoc.co.uk (based in and ships from Germany). Just over £150 with free delivery.

Fitted today, with a noticable improvement to acceleration straight away. Time will tell if it solves the issue or not... here's hoping...
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 22:56   #29
superhifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhifi View Post
Another update, just received and fitted a replacment throttle body assembly...

Fitted today, with a noticable improvement to acceleration straight away. Time will tell if it solves the issue or not... here's hoping...
The stall is still happening, on my way home from work, as I approached a roundabout, I felt a hesitation in the engine, then when I dipped the clutch to come to a stop the revs were all over the place and then stalled.

Same old story, ignition off, back on again, start the car and it's fine for the rest of the journey.

Still no error messages show on the dash, no VIDA codes showing, nothing. It's so intermittent, and I can't 'recreate' it, ie I can't make it do it, it just does it randomly, not every journey, more recently it's been once every couple of days. Once it's done it's done its stall, it's fine for the rest of that journey, and quite offten the rest of the day.

So my question to anyone with any more experience and knowledge to me is: What can make a car stall in this way? I guess I need to make a list and start working through it, part by part...
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 12:54   #30
scout70

Default My Issue

Well cleaned the throttle body at the weekend. Removal was simpler than I thought.

Was really black engine side and a bit tarnished air filter side. Used Wynn's Air Intake/Carb Cleaner.

Only driven around 30miles so far but have no issues at all and (fingers crossed) seems to have sorted my idling issue. Very smooth.