Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 163 Boost Leak Test Gone Wrong

Views : 1342

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2018, 01:24   #1
JozE

Default D5 163 Boost Leak Test Gone Wrong

Hello everybody

I was testing my 2004 S60 D5 163 for boost leaks using the homemade 'test kit' - a PVC pipe cap with a valve, attached to the air hose behind the MAF sensor, and an air compressor.

I found my leak, got it sorted, and then I retested @ 20 psi. At first there was no air escaping the system, but next something gave from whitin the passenger side of the engine as I heard the distinctive Pffffff sound. I had (and still don't) no idea what that could have been, I drove the car and it was just fine.

Fast forward a couple of days, I discovered oil dripping around the back of the lower gearbox mount area which could be traced up to the rear of the engine (around the drive shaft level where the flywheel teeth are sticking out) to what seems to me is between the engine block and the crankcase.

When testing I kept the oil cap on as I noticed that the system would not hold pressure otherwise.
I have obviously managed to destroy something but I wonder what it could be? First thing that comes to mind is a gasket or a seal of some sort but I wonder if it could be something else? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
JozE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 08:34   #2
davebb
Premier Member

Hi when I do a pressure test I do leave the oil filler cap off because of this,
I don't put pressure at the air intake hose at the maf, you can use very low pressure there 5 psi max as the air intake pipes are not made for pressure,
I got a cheap silicone 90 bend pipe and connect that to the turbo, and blank of the pipe that fits to the engine inlet, so now you can pressure it to 20psi
and leave it for 5mins to test the high pressure pipes and turbo compressor seal, and intercooler, egr valve/housing, one you know that is all ok , then reconnect the inlet pipe to the engine then run the test again at lower pressure
as you will have air going in to the crankcase past the piston rings as the engine is not running and is not oiling the pistons and the engine is cold not hot so the rings are not sealing as well,and it will not hold high pressure as some valves will be open, so you may have blown a crank seal, as the crankcase (should not be pressurised) you have filled the crankcase with 20psi,
that is 20 pound per square inch ,what is the volume of a D5 crankcase ?
some car tyres only have a bit more pressure,
so to get 20 psi on your gauge with air also leaking out of some valves, you are putting a lot of air in to the crankcase, remove the starter motor and look if you can see any oil,
also when your car is running at full boost 17psi, or remapped 20-21psi the crankcase is breathing there is a breather pipe going into the cold air pipe,(you have put 20psi into this breather pipe) so there is not any pressure in the crankcase when the turbo is working as air is getting sucked out of the crankcase by the breather to the turbo inlet pipe
you can see this by using a rubber glove by putting it on were the filler cap fits then rev the car and any air will be sucked out of the glove,
Good luck,
Dave

Last edited by davebb; Aug 27th, 2018 at 08:50.
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 13:03   #3
JozE

Thanks for your reply, I see what I did wrong. I will double check where exactly the oil is coming from but it seems that put the last nail in the coffin of that lovely S60
JozE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 13:39   #4
davebb
Premier Member

Hi please let us know how you get on,
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 16:09   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JozE View Post
Hello everybody

I was testing my 2004 S60 D5 163 for boost leaks using the homemade 'test kit' - a PVC pipe cap with a valve, attached to the air hose behind the MAF sensor, and an air compressor.

I found my leak, got it sorted, and then I retested @ 20 psi. At first there was no air escaping the system, but next something gave from whitin the passenger side of the engine as I heard the distinctive Pffffff sound. I had (and still don't) no idea what that could have been, I drove the car and it was just fine.

Fast forward a couple of days, I discovered oil dripping around the back of the lower gearbox mount area which could be traced up to the rear of the engine (around the drive shaft level where the flywheel teeth are sticking out) to what seems to me is between the engine block and the crankcase.

When testing I kept the oil cap on as I noticed that the system would not hold pressure otherwise.
I have obviously managed to destroy something but I wonder what it could be? First thing that comes to mind is a gasket or a seal of some sort but I wonder if it could be something else? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
you may have blown out the oil gallery core plug . a well known weak point on this engine £3 part £250 repair as the gear box has to be removed to replace it
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 11:09   #6
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
you may have blown out the oil gallery core plug . a well known weak point on this engine £3 part £250 repair as the gear box has to be removed to replace it
Yep, sounds like it.
To the OP, this core plug is behind the flywheel, so the gearbox etc needs to come off to access it.
Later cars had an improved plug design, which you can fit to the earlier engines so solve it once and for all.

Past: V70 D5, 855 T5, 940, V40 T4, S40
aland is offline   Reply With Quote