Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advise needed on new project upgrading 2.3 t5.

Views : 763

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:01   #1
soarecelegica

Default Advise needed on new project upgrading 2.3 t5.

Hi all. Just bought an V70 2.3 t5 1998. I'm trying to get most of the power from this engine with stock internals.
Already purchased Rip intercooler kit, green injectors, 3" maf housing. Advise needed on bigger throttle body. Should I go for the one on 960 or 3" universal one. Turbo should I go for 19t or 20t kinugawa? Meth kit is on its way. Do i need to upgrade my intercooler. Also I have a bw200 fuel pump ready. What kind o boost controller should I choose manual or electronic? Spark plugs , leads and ignition coil? Forgot to mention I'm building my own 3" exhaust. Any help is welcome will post pictures of the project soon.
soarecelegica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:37   #2
milgo86

From what I've read people use a lot of stock parts. OE leads and plugs. OE boost controller with a suitable ECU map. Personally I don't buy in to heavily marketed performance coils etc.

It's boring, but if the car is very original then a lot of basics will need attention. I bought a MY96 850 just over a year ago and the engine torque mounts were torn, vacuum lines perished, boost hoses soft, suspension tired and breather system broken into pieces etc etc. These apparently minor faults, once corrected will transform your car and provide you with a good starting point.

I would upgrade the intercooler and hoses. I have a DO88 set in my car and it was a noticeable improvement over the original stuff.
milgo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milgo86 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:19   #3
soarecelegica

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgo86 View Post
From what I've read people use a lot of stock parts. OE leads and plugs. OE boost controller with a suitable ECU map. Personally I don't buy in to heavily marketed performance coils etc.

It's boring, but if the car is very original then a lot of basics will need attention. I bought a MY96 850 just over a year ago and the engine torque mounts were torn, vacuum lines perished, boost hoses soft, suspension tired and breather system broken into pieces etc etc. These apparently minor faults, once corrected will transform your car and provide you with a good starting point.

I would upgrade the intercooler and hoses. I have a DO88 set in my car and it was a noticeable improvement over the original stuff.
I already found hoses and vacuums cracked. Oil leaks. I've done what is called stage 0 and I want to upgrade power and be able to fine tune this engine.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:39   #4
milgo86

OK cool,

I have the following "performance" engine bits on mine and would recommend them (not big power):

DO88 intercooler and silicone hoses
Mambatek 16T turbo with angled flange
Ferrita turbo back exhaust
TTV "Lite" flywheel
Quaife ATB differential
850R clutch kit
ECU map

I don't know what you plan to do with your car, but it's worth noting that with good tyres my car still scrabbles for grip in 1st on a perfectly flat road. So if you are looking to drag it I'd maybe look at a more aggressive differential.

I tried an IPD boost solenoid and it gave me problems. So I wouldn't recommend that. Also if you run a Kinugawa turbo with the stock solenoid, don't use one of their actuators. Use the stock actuator set to the correct crack pressure. Up-rated actuators with high spring pressures cause dangerous boost spikes with the stock setup.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:56   #5
milgo86

I should also say that meth seems OTT for a td04 setup. Your money would probably be better spend on rods and a GT series turbo with a custom manifold.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:07   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would go with H beam rods as early as possible so you know you are safe for future plans
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 10:39   #7
don kalmar union
Trader

I have in stock the Ferrita stainless exhausts, both d'pipe with 100 cel cat and sports cat back, and the lightweight single mass flywheels referred to in earlier posts.

there is only one man experienced, well informed and trusted in this country to get to do any work on these engines... Tim Williams in Coalville.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 21:34   #8
soarecelegica

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
I have in stock the Ferrita stainless exhausts, both d'pipe with 100 cel cat and sports cat back, and the lightweight single mass flywheels referred to in earlier posts.

there is only one man experienced, well informed and trusted in this country to get to do any work on these engines... Tim Williams in Coalville.

Don.
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your time to write here. I'll do a write up again after I set my goals. I'm thinking upgrading Conrods and I think I'll do it. Any makes for Conrods?
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 19:31   #9
soarecelegica

Beeing busy with work didn't got to do too many on the engine. I can say thow that I've managed to get the engine out . Now I have h beam Conrods . I've read that for rod bearings I can go for the d5 rod bearings that can stand more torque? Standard mains and pistons don't know what to choose. I've tried uploading pics but it seems I cannot.