Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power Steering

Views : 1262

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 20:56   #1
CIGANO

Default Power Steering

Hi, I have a beautiful 1975 244 but as I get older the lure of power steering gets stronger. Has anyone retrofitted power steering from a 1980 (?) model and indeed is this a feasible idea?
TIA
John
CIGANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 22:54   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Yes done it a few times.

You need the full power steering system and also change the lower balljoints
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 11:05   #3
CIGANO

Hi SuperSwede, thanks for your reply. I have located a rack, pump and reservoir but never thought of lower balljoints.....what is the story there?
Do you have the necessary items in stock?
John
CIGANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 13:20   #4
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hi - I converted my 1978 to powersteering, have a look at my project thread for some pictures I took.

You'll need a power steering column as they're different to a manual one, a power steering rack, hoses and pump - the power steering pump and bracket should be from a car with a B21 engine (same as yours) as the later pumps have a different bracket meaning the pulleys don't quite line up... although it will work, but the belt won't last all that long and it might squeal.

You'll also need the additional bolt on pulley for the front of your engine, as you'll only have space for two belts currently (and those spaces are used by the belts that turn the alternator, water pump and fan). This might be the hardest part to find actually.

Ball joints - the ones for a manual car are straight, the ones for a power steering car are cranked forwards to increase caster. I have a picture of two different ones next to each other in my project thread.

Cheers

Last edited by Bugjam1999; Nov 8th, 2018 at 13:22. Reason: words
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 18:38   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Allegedly, the early 240s had the same ball-joints in both manual and PAS configurations. Haynes (for what they're worth) claim that 1979-on models havve handed ball-joints, so you might not need to replace them.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 21:04   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Haynes is the book of lies. The ball joint type used relate directly to PAS and non PAS

ball joints

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/240_B..._17181639.aspx

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/240_B..._17181638.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 22:33   #7
mylittletony
Master Member

I retrofitted PAS to my 79, the front pulley needed sourcing and the pump needs to match the engine as Seb says. It does work but the belt alignment isn't great.
I got around the issue by fitting the b230 to match the PAS

I meant to swap my ball joints, or more specifically replace with the correct type when doing my front suspension, but my mechanic replaced like for like without asking as it was needed at mot time.

I've never experienced any issues with having the reduced castor, so don't feel any need to fit the offset type. They're inexpensive either way...
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 09:39   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post

You'll need a power steering column as they're different to a manual one,
Do you mean the column or just the bottom rod with the universal joints?
Doesn't the earlier column have different fixing points or locking/ignition fixings? It certainly has a different shaft taper for sitting the steering wheel.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 11:14   #9
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Do you mean the column or just the bottom rod with the universal joints?
Doesn't the earlier column have different fixing points or locking/ignition fixings? It certainly has a different shaft taper for sitting the steering wheel.
The number of splines on the end of the shaft coming through the bulkhead are the same early or late (but may differ at the steering wheel end). The number of splines on the shaft coming out of the steering rack are different- the manual one is a smaller diameter shaft with fewer splines- so you need the later power steering column to connect to the power steering rack.

The columns look quite different- I took a before and after photo and posted them in my project thread here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=268976&page=3

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 19:19   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

So you do mean the lower link rod connecting the bottom of the column to the rack, not the column itself?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote