Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Total Failure. please help

Views : 862

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2019, 15:01   #1
TonyDawber

Unhappy Total Failure. please help

I bought a 2004 S40 T5 1 week ago and drove about 200 miles with no issues, yesterday I set off driving and within 2 mins wipers started going full pelt while in off position, then the car lost power (limp mode) and all sorts of warnings started showing on the dash, (brake failure, abs failure, no brake fluid e.t.c) 1 minute later had complete loss of power so pulled over.
switched car off and tried to restart but nothing happened, dash lights and radio came on but no ignition whatsoever not even turning over.
Called RAC out who tested battery which was fine he then connected his scan tool to the car and just got loads of no comms with ecu messages.
Is my car at the end of its life after 1 week of ownership?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
TonyDawber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 18:11   #2
BJB

Sorry but the CEM 's and the Antilock Modules do give problems, and there are quite a few posts on here regarding them.
My v50 2.0d (had 8years) is at an Indy garage at the moment having a new CEM and the Antilock module sent away for repair. Apparently more problems with earlier models and newer one corrects it. ( Expensive though £1500 + ish)
At first I would get the Antiskid message come on, and sometimes when trying to start next time would get immobiliser issue. Then progressed to your symptoms and would have to disconnect the battery for 5min for it to start.
Sounds extremely unlucky, OR the previous owner started to get these faults.....
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BJB For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 19:02   #3
TonyDawber

Thanks BJB,
Just found this on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=QkG_tGTdoYk
Is this feasible or fantasy if there's a possibility this could work I will have a go tomorrow and report back.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 19:29   #4
BJB

I think this is the first thing everyone tries , hoping it's a simple fix. It's only a question of time to see if the fault returns. I could cope with the none start (disconnect battery fix), but as soon as I got full shut down, I didn't want to be in the outside lane of the motorway, and not even being able to put hazards on, I knew I had to get it fixed, or another car.
Video;
Not sure, but if correct it looked like chap disconnected live terminal.... Wait till he touches earth there'll be even more problems....
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 22:12   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie95 View Post
Hi,
I have a 2007 Volvo C70 T5 which has shown the same faults listed here and been intermittent over the last week:
Traction control light and listing traction control service required.
ABS Warning light
Brake failure stop safely
Reduced engine performance
Limp mode
Window wipers activated without activating
Unable to remove key from Immobiliser

After calling out a mechanic and family friend who has access to professional Volvo diognostics a multiple number of faults were shown as you could imagine.

He cleared all faults and we took it for a test drive luckily the ABS warning light and wipers came on in this time as the fault had been intermittent as I have already said.

He immediately said that the wipers coming on is a clear sign of a loose earth cable connection; after cleaning and tightening all earth cables the fault cleared and had been fine ever since.

There was one earth cable in particular which seemed to effect all the listed errors and that was on the right hand side above the battery under the bonnet (there are three earth cable and it was the left one).when we deliberately disconnected it the ABS warning light and wipers came on and when we reconnected it the light went off we tried this test a few times and it was clear that this was causing the issue and now running smoothly after cleaning up with wire wool and a dry cloth.

Always test the basics first before jumping to conclusions that it could be something major, this took 10 mins to check and saved a lot of money too!

Sorry this is long winded but I hope this has helped someone out there and put their mind at ease..
From this thread
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 08:33   #6
Welton
Premier Member

I've been an active member on here for 10 years, I wouldn't say that the CEM is troublesome on these cars at all.

What does cause trouble is disturbed connections on the CEM and this poor earthing that's been referred to above, I've always kept my earth points sprayed with WD40 (you can't miss them) and never once had an electrical gremlin.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 11:56   #7
Yobbo
Dave

Sounds like alternator failure to me.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 15:47   #8
TonyDawber

What a difference a day makes,
I followed the above link and removed the CEM, cleaned all the terminals and checked fuses e.t.c. put it back together and guess what...
the engine started right up with no codes or warnings on dash.
when I was unplugging the connectors I noticed that two of them were not clamped properly and were loose, probably been kicked by a passenger at some point.
Took me about one hour to do the job and cost me absolutely no money.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread.
Makes you wonder how many cars end up being scrapped for things like this.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TonyDawber For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 15:55   #9
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDawber View Post
What a difference a day makes,
I followed the above link and removed the CEM, cleaned all the terminals and checked fuses e.t.c. put it back together and guess what...
the engine started right up with no codes or warnings on dash.
when I was unplugging the connectors I noticed that two of them were not clamped properly and were loose, probably been kicked by a passenger at some point.
Took me about one hour to do the job and cost me absolutely no money.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread.
Excellent news... now enjoy that T5!
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 16:37   #10
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDawber View Post
Absolutely! a lack of understanding or simply overlooking the obvious would generate some horrendous 'repair' bills and leave the owner with no confidence.

Very glad you got it sorted, how did you clean the connection pins?
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post: