Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you replace Magnetti Marelli ETMs with a Bosch ETM?

Views : 8502

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 13:38   #1
KATANA MAN

Default Can you replace Magnetti Marelli ETMs with a Bosch ETM?

Hello guys n gals!

I am sure there are a load of people desperately searching for a fix for their cars without lining the pockets of VOLVO UK.

I know I am!

They are quite happy to take our money without there being a permenant fix, because as you know they can only replace a part with another one which Will fail again in the future and try and fool the car into thinking there is not a problem when there is one!

Im one of these people who will only take my car to the garage after all other avenues have been exhausted.
I am a time served mechanic ( not been in the trade for a long time though) and do all my own repairs and servicing.

So why cant the later Bosch ETM be fitted to the earlier cars with and adapted wiring harness and system up grade? has anyone tried this?

What are the physical differences between the Bosch and Magnetti Marelli ETMs?

Is it wiring ?

Is it a software incompatibility?

Is it the mounting holes and maniforld that are different?

Someone must know!

Has anyone done it?

CAN IT BE DONE?

It has to be possible to convert to the later bosch ETM which wont fail!

Sorry to witter on and on! Just dont like wasting my money on sh*te!

thanks again for your help!

Katana man
KATANA MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 20:54   #2
kevin derby uk

sorry no it wont replace the old unit
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 22:46   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

the bosch unit is just a motor and gears and potentiometer , the car ECU does the processing . , the Magneti Marelli has the microprocessor inside. Two completely different units .
I've never seen a replacement ( yellow label) unit fail ... anyone??
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 22:06   #4
bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the bosch unit is just a motor and gears and potentiometer , the car ECU does the processing . , the Magneti Marelli has the microprocessor inside. Two completely different units .
mine had a yellow sticker, it failed, I bought it in limp mode, sent it back to bbm they replaced the damaged part with a non contactor mod, only charged me £100. fitted and got the softwear uploaded but still was in limp mode, erased the codes 5 times now seems ok.
MOT the weekend then on the road for a long run, will post if ok
bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:06   #5
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes, I had my yellow label item replaced approx 4 weeks ago by Volvo, it was definitely the second time it has been changed as Volvo had a record of the previous replacement as they'd made a contribution to the cost.

For anyone who needs a new ETM I actually found a way to get the whole unit replaced with all the software etc from a maindealer very cheaply. The AA offer a breakdown repair cover policy to their members, whereby they'll cover the first £500 (less a £25 excess) of repairs if you call out a patrol to your car and they are unable to repair it at the roadside for an annual premium.

My ETM had been on the way out for a while, when it suddenly got much worse on a trip to work. Pulled over, called the AA, out they came. Car went to Volvo (they didn't tow it, I drove it their after the patrol had inspected the car). I spoke to the AA and they agreed that the ETM was covered by the repair policy.

Cost of repair was £478, of which I had to pay the first £25. My annual premium for the cover is under £70, so total bill to me was under £100.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 20:24   #6
bus

Smile

thanks, signing up tomorrow, will cover me on my Cornwall holiday
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 20:27   #7
bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATANA MAN View Post
Hello guys n gals!

I am sure there are a load of people desperately searching for a fix for their cars without lining the pockets of VOLVO UK.

I know I am!

They are quite happy to take our money without there being a permenant fix, because as you know they can only replace a part with another one which Will fail again in the future and try and fool the car into thinking there is not a problem when there is one!

Im one of these people who will only take my car to the garage after all other avenues have been exhausted.
I am a time served mechanic ( not been in the trade for a long time though) and do all my own repairs and servicing.

So why cant the later Bosch ETM be fitted to the earlier cars with and adapted wiring harness and system up grade? has anyone tried this?

What are the physical differences between the Bosch and Magnetti Marelli ETMs?

Is it wiring ?

Is it a software incompatibility?

Is it the mounting holes and maniforld that are different?

Someone must know!

Has anyone done it?

CAN IT BE DONE?

It has to be possible to convert to the later bosch ETM which wont fail!

Sorry to witter on and on! Just dont like wasting my money on sh*te!

thanks again for your help!

Katana man
If I replace the engine wiring loom and ECU with BOSCH surely this will work?
The Following User Says Thank You to bus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 08:06   #8
ade555

Well I'm sure AA will only cover you if your car has been service on regular basis in garage or main dealer so the book gets stamped, if you service your car your self is no point paying the money as AA will not pay out.
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 20:08   #9
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
Well I'm sure AA will only cover you if your car has been service on regular basis in garage or main dealer so the book gets stamped, if you service your car your self is no point paying the money as AA will not pay out.
My car hasn't been to a Volvo garage (except for the ETM) for over 30,000 miles, there are no service stamps for the last 5 years because it is serviced by Tim Williams. On top of that, it's heavily modified. The ETM is not a service part, therefore they automatically covered it without even asking about service documents.

I love how people who haven't actually used a service assume they know all about it.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 10:22   #10
BigBas
VOC Member

I've just bought an S80 D5, and I really dont know much about this at all. What are the symptoms and tell tale signs of it breaking? And how do I know if the part has been replaced

Bas

Volvo S80 D5 S
BigBas is offline   Reply With Quote