Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Close to ordering an XC60: are options worth it?

Views : 3206

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 19:02   #1
cc41

Default Close to ordering an XC60: are options worth it?

I'm getting close to ordering an XC60, and would appreciate some non-salesman input on whether some of the options are worth the money ....

(1) SatNav (or, to be more precise, RTI Navigation System with RDS-TMC and Europe DVD map). I already have a basic TomTom, so the questions are, how does it compare in ease of use and does the "live traffic information" work sufficiently well to justify the cost? And does the live traffic information work in Europe? And do I need to pay any sort of subscription fee - for either the live information or updated maps? And lastly, if I don't get it, do they still fit the screen anyway?

(2) The PCC/Heartbeat sensor, keyless drive?

(3) Adaptive cruise control/Blind spot information system/lane departure warning.

I like the car a lot and enjoyed the test drive. My long-term love of heated, power-adjusted, leather seats and parking assistance means that I'll probably go for the SE Lux version. But is the new-fangled gadgetry worth the cash, or is it a set of electronics that will either go wrong (and cost a fortune to replace) or that I'll find too fiddly and difficult to use?

All input welcome!
cc41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 19:39   #2
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc41 View Post
I'm getting close to ordering an XC60, and would appreciate some non-salesman input on whether some of the options are worth the money ....

(1) SatNav (or, to be more precise, RTI Navigation System with RDS-TMC and Europe DVD map). I already have a basic TomTom, so the questions are, how does it compare in ease of use and does the "live traffic information" work sufficiently well to justify the cost? And does the live traffic information work in Europe? And do I need to pay any sort of subscription fee - for either the live information or updated maps? And lastly, if I don't get it, do they still fit the screen anyway?

(3) Adaptive cruise control/Blind spot information system/lane departure warning.

I like the car a lot and enjoyed the test drive. My long-term love of heated, power-adjusted, leather seats and parking assistance means that I'll probably go for the SE Lux version. But is the new-fangled gadgetry worth the cash, or is it a set of electronics that will either go wrong (and cost a fortune to replace) or that I'll find too fiddly and difficult to use?

All input welcome!
(1) The RTI comes with 4 DVD Discs. The DVD unit is under the boot floor. Depending where you intend to travel in Europe, it would involve removing everything to change the disc.
The RTI system, although expensive is certainly handy and instead of (3), you might like to consider the Reversing Camera. Road Traffic information throughout Europe and the UK is free, but map updates have to be paid for.

(2) If you are going for the SE Lux, the PCC/Heartbeat, keyless drive are included.

(3) Your choice. Prefer the Reversing Camera.

Hope this helps.

tem.

Last edited by tem; Jan 11th, 2009 at 19:42. Reason: adjusting text
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 19:54   #3
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc41 View Post

All input welcome!
I've just got an SE Lux as I wanted the leather, electric and heated seats etc. - it worked out cheaper than an S or SE and then adding on what I want. Plus I got loads of other stuff in the SE Lux package as well. Personally I don't see the point of getting an XC60 without the driver support pack as the XC60 is all about gadgetry and electronic safety which is what the pack contains. I am wondering if when it comes to resale people will expect this pack on the car as well - although it was an easier choice for me as it was only £399 as an early order offer. I have yet to try the ACC but am looking forward to trying and the blind spot warning is useful(-ish), not so sure about LDW but without these you don't get the driver monitoring (can't remember the name - thing that tells you when you are driving badly and need to take a break) which I think is good.

I couldn't see the point of the heartbeat sensor and keyless drive myself and don't think it would have added anything to my car.

I have also carried on using my TomTom, car sat navs see crazily overpriced to me and I read somewhere the volvo one isn't that great. Plus harder to upgrade etc... The only thing you lose is the flashy screen in the dash but you get a small storage space instead. I worried it would look a bit rubbish without the screen but it looks fine.

Other cool stuff, sun roof is v. good. Running boards look good and mean people that open their doors into your car hit them first and not the car! (happened on day one - was v. pleased I had the boards). I got laminated glass for security and the water repellent side windows work a treat! Rubber boot mat is good when you have kids - and the family pack is essential for children. Rear armrest is very cool - has cup holders and tray and is leather lined. I would say front park assist is also worth the extra as it is so hard to judge where the front of the car actually is!

We kept finding the types to be under pressure in our old car so went for TPMS - hopefully it will pay for itself in time.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC60Owner For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 19:57   #4
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
(1) The RTI comes with 4 DVD Discs. The DVD unit is under the boot floor. Depending where you intend to travel in Europe, it would involve removing everything to change the disc.
The RTI system, although expensive is certainly handy and instead of (3), you might like to consider the Reversing Camera. Road Traffic information throughout Europe and the UK is free, but map updates have to be paid for.

(2) If you are going for the SE Lux, the PCC/Heartbeat, keyless drive are included.

(3) Your choice. Prefer the Reversing Camera.

Hope this helps.

tem.
(2) is incorrect. It is an extra option on all levels. Plus you need to get the RTI sat nav to get the reversing camera.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 20:16   #5
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
I've just got an SE Lux as I wanted the leather, electric and heated seats etc. - it worked out cheaper than an S or SE and then adding on what I want. Plus I got loads of other stuff in the SE Lux package as well. Personally I don't see the point of getting an XC60 without the driver support pack as the XC60 is all about gadgetry and electronic safety which is what the pack contains. I am wondering if when it comes to resale people will expect this pack on the car as well - although it was an easier choice for me as it was only £399 as an early order offer. I have yet to try the ACC but am looking forward to trying and the blind spot warning is useful(-ish), not so sure about LDW but without these you don't get the driver monitoring (can't remember the name - thing that tells you when you are driving badly and need to take a break) which I think is good.

I couldn't see the point of the heartbeat sensor and keyless drive myself and don't think it would have added anything to my car.

I have also carried on using my TomTom, car sat navs see crazily overpriced to me and I read somewhere the volvo one isn't that great. Plus harder to upgrade etc... The only thing you lose is the flashy screen in the dash but you get a small storage space instead. I worried it would look a bit rubbish without the screen but it looks fine.

Other cool stuff, sun roof is v. good. Running boards look good and mean people that open their doors into your car hit them first and not the car! (happened on day one - was v. pleased I had the boards). I got laminated glass for security and the water repellent side windows work a treat! Rubber boot mat is good when you have kids - and the family pack is essential for children. Rear armrest is very cool - has cup holders and tray and is leather lined. I would say front park assist is also worth the extra as it is so hard to judge where the front of the car actually is!

We kept finding the types to be under pressure in our old car so went for TPMS - hopefully it will pay for itself in time.
From experiance with BMW's, Merc's and Volvo's, the salesman goes completely blind when you come to trade. They are not interested (no matter what car magazines say) in giving you more for all the added extras.
These extras are your choice, for you to enjoy and at a later date, someone else gets the benifit. Fact of life.
I am a sucker for extras, but I am old enough to know, that I will not gain any financial return for them.

Better buying the basic model (Model T Ford, in black).

tem.
The Following User Says Thank You to tem For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 20:40   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

cc41,
I have the Sat Nav system in my XC90.
I upgraded to the latest 3-disc version two years ago - and I find it almost useless.
I have complained to Volvo and provided examples of stupid directions which the Sat Nav churns out, but Volvo simply said "our engineers have been unable to reproduce the fault".
One example - on a journey from Birmingham to Cornwall - whilst travelling down the M5 the Sat Nav directed me to go onto the M50 into Wales, and for 12 miles along the M5 it insisted I do a U-turn, even after I passed another couple of junctions. Only then did it decide to allow me to continue using the M5 to Cornwall.
Another example - For a laugh I decided to follow the Sat Nav directions from the West side of Nottingham to a location in Lincolnshire, and it took me around Nottingham city centre, getting lost, directing me up one-way streets or blocked roads - not new ones either. As I know the area I opted for the ring-road of course.
I also travel to Dorset often, and the previous single-disc version followed a route which did not use the M25 - however the newer version cannot avoid using the M25 (unless you set it to avoid all motorways) - I tried it once just to check if it knew something I didn't - and the journey took 2 hours longer than normal. Volvo's response was that I should plan the route in several stages, avoiding the M25 manually.
I pity anyone having to use the system who doesn't already have a clue as to the route anyway.

I have to say I used the Sat Nav in Europe last year though, and it seemed to be okay there.

Based on my experience I would suggest staying with your Tom Tom.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 20:45   #7
Dave Brown

Hi,
The Driver support pack is great, ACC is a bit weird at first because it goes against all your instincts but after a while its really natural and I use it every day and would now miss it being there.
It was one of the must have when searching for my car & will be again when it changes for a XC60 in the spring

LDW is good, quite a clever system because we live out in the wilds and it switches off at lower speeds or twisty bits.
Keyless entry is useful, and you do find yourself using the novelty factor of the PCC & checking you locked the car!

As far as resale of options go, they do as stated have very little impact on price, BUT the thing that does make a difference is if 99% of the cars on the market have say Driver Support Pack or RTi when you come to sell in 3 years, do you want to have the one without making the car trickier to move on?
That will cost you money unfortunately, bit like bizarre colour schemes

Dave Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 20:50   #8
4wheeldriver
Master Member

I had 1 dealer tell me that cos my BMW didnt have sat nav as factory fit that it was worth 10k less than one that had it fitted!!! Con man or what??
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 20:56   #9
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
cc41,
I have the Sat Nav system in my XC90.
I upgraded to the latest 3-disc version two years ago - and I find it almost useless.
I have complained to Volvo and provided examples of stupid directions which the Sat Nav churns out, but Volvo simply said "our engineers have been unable to reproduce the fault".
One example - on a journey from Birmingham to Cornwall - whilst travelling down the M5 the Sat Nav directed me to go onto the M50 into Wales, and for 12 miles along the M5 it insisted I do a U-turn, even after I passed another couple of junctions. Only then did it decide to allow me to continue using the M5 to Cornwall.
Another example - For a laugh I decided to follow the Sat Nav directions from the West side of Nottingham to a location in Lincolnshire, and it took me around Nottingham city centre, getting lost, directing me up one-way streets or blocked roads - not new ones either. As I know the area I opted for the ring-road of course.
I also travel to Dorset often, and the previous single-disc version followed a route which did not use the M25 - however the newer version cannot avoid using the M25 (unless you set it to avoid all motorways) - I tried it once just to check if it knew something I didn't - and the journey took 2 hours longer than normal. Volvo's response was that I should plan the route in several stages, avoiding the M25 manually.
I pity anyone having to use the system who doesn't already have a clue as to the route anyway.

I have to say I used the Sat Nav in Europe last year though, and it seemed to be okay there.

Based on my experience I would suggest staying with your Tom Tom.
I have found the RTI system to be extremely accurate.

A couple of years ago while travelling through Germany to Ausrtia, we got stuck in a roadworks, due to a broken down lorry.

The RTI system informed me numerous times, that there was a "traffic problem", but no alternative route could be found.
I did not realy needed to be reminded, being stuck there for over 2 hours, in 35C.

tem.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 21:08   #10
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
I had 1 dealer tell me that cos my BMW didnt have sat nav as factory fit that it was worth 10k less than one that had it fitted!!! Con man or what??
He must have come from Nigeria.

tem.