Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo and abba!

Views : 1788

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 22:44   #1
SmiffyMan

Default Volvo and abba!

I purchsed my volvo on the assumption - neh- experience from world press, p-taking and general hear-say talk that Volvo's were the dogs nadgers when it came to build quality and reliability. How wrong I was. In time, with all the technology they have thrown into these cars, and lets be honest, its all electronic crap, the name Volvo is starting to look like you need loadsa dosh to keep your car up to spec. (*I've had a couple of glasses of wine!) Bloody ETM faults all over the place.. mine included. I bet ABBA did'nt have this much trouble with their fans complaining about crap songs!
SmiffyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 02:02   #2
Dazzlev70r

LOL Im not sure as it goes

Name me a modern car where a breakdown regardless how small is fixable under £100
Ill never forget my Range rover or a mec I had, wanna compare electrical faults lol
I cant work out why car manufactures dont farm out the electrics in there cars to the Japanese to be fair, they seem to be the only real class acts with a little wire

As for Abba who can explain how they done it, decades later there as popular as the Beatles ( look at Mama mia film) and reading these forums the ld Volvo seems to be as much loved, people spending far too much on an old car considering running costs etc
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 15:32   #3
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

I wouldn't agree with that SmiffyMan. My current Volvo has just been through it's second MOT now. No work required, just like last year.

In fact, since I had it a year and a half ago I've done nothing but standard servicing on it.

My old 2001 V70 was nearly as good at a much higher mileage, but was showing signs of ETM failure, to be fair. But these days it doesn't look an expensive fault to fix.

I won't bore you with the details, but my experience with a couple of recent Vauxhalls leads me to believe that Volvos are still a cut above.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4

Last edited by oilburner; Mar 6th, 2009 at 15:35.
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 22:59   #4
Hinckley

I with Oilburner on this one, I had a S60 2.0T for 5 years and had no expenses bar usual servicing tyres brakes etc, I replaced it last year with a S80 D5 which is an improvement in every way possible and although I've had a few niggles nothing that my dealer has not been more than eager to fix, my dad's got a S80 2.5T at the moment which has had no faults either, I guess its luck of the draw.

On the other hand my wife has a Vauxhall Astra Elite with low miles that has spent more time with the dealer than with her, the dealership is worse than useless, on the look out for a C30 R-Design D5 titanium grey, auto with all the toys.

Cheers,
Pip
Last 2009 Merc CLS
Now 2004 S80 2.5T SE + Freelander! (BOGOF!)
Hinckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 19:16   #5
SmiffyMan

I know.. I know.. it's just me letting off steam. I've had Vauxhall Senators, a Monza GSE and four Omegas. All have had expensive 'small' repairs needed and I know thats the way things are these days. But my first car was a Ford Anglia and I fixed everything on that with two screwdrivers, a socket set and a roll of insulation tape. Those were the days. Why is it all so complicated now. Just me getting old maybe! (I'm 45)
SmiffyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 20:53   #6
Hinckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmiffyMan View Post
I know.. I know.. it's just me letting off steam. I've had Vauxhall Senators, a Monza GSE and four Omegas. All have had expensive 'small' repairs needed and I know thats the way things are these days. But my first car was a Ford Anglia and I fixed everything on that with two screwdrivers, a socket set and a roll of insulation tape. Those were the days. Why is it all so complicated now. Just me getting old maybe! (I'm 45)
I know what you mean 45 in 3 weeks myself, my first was an 850 Mini bodged it with bits from the scrapyard for years, oh and I spoke to soon about my S80 the phone module failed today - modern technology thank heavens for warranty!

Happy motoring.

Cheers,
Pip
Last 2009 Merc CLS
Now 2004 S80 2.5T SE + Freelander! (BOGOF!)
Hinckley is offline   Reply With Quote