Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 volvo estate, good idea? or bad idea?

Views : 2587

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 20:03   #1
zng109

Red face 960 volvo estate, good idea? or bad idea?

hello I was recently given a 1992 volvo 960 3 litre automatic estate.
well its lovely, air con eletric windows, heated seats, you name it its got it!
however it is a little thirsty.
now truth be known this car has sat in a car park for 2 years, few minor dents and bumps, but passed its MOT after a little tlc.
so please anyone in the know, please tell me A, how much they paid for their L.P.G conversion, rough idea on MPG
and B. as the car has sat for so long what would be a good idea to do to it before anything goes wrong.
zng109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 20:24   #2
yoda960
Volvo 960

Sorry I cant answer any of your questions, however having read a few threads on the subject myself (I have a thirsty 960 myself) the wide consensus is that getting a conversion done is only really worth it if you are going to keep the car for a while and do a lot of mileage in it...

LPG prices might go up, availability etc are all things to think about. Plus if you do decide to sell before you get your moneys worth out of it, the conversion won't add a huge amount to the value of the car.

Sounds a bit negative - there will probably be some people along with the opposite view though
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 22:05   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

A very good point , Whilst LPG may be favourably priced now , there is nothing to stop it creeping up to a price similar to petrol .
In 1979-1985 volvo were doing a lot of LPG conversions in the UK on 244 245 and 343 carburettor cars which were very succesful , however by the end of the 1980s the price of LPG had risen enough to make it uneconomic to use let alone pay out for a new installation ..
If you are lucky enough to buy a volvo with LPG already you have a bonus , but paying out £1500 - £2000 for it needs serious thought .
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 22:09   #4
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

I once used on online saving calculator to work out how much I'd save if I converted my old Vauxhall Cavalier to LPG. After asking about annual mileage etc, it came back with a result that I would save minus £700 by doing the conversion.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 13:53   #5
davew

My conversion cost £2100

On LPG I get 16.5 mpg.

On petrol I get 21mpg.

Price of LPG is 45.9 (where I fill up)
Petrol I think is about 88p

So at todays prices it will take, 33,000 miles to break even.

When I intialy got it converted it was 1.16 for petrol and 54 for LPG so would of got my money back within 21,000 miles.

So the general theme is, only do it if you are going to keep the car for at least say 30,000 - 40,000 miles.

And dont forget, you have to protect your investment. Any major mechanical problems you have to get sorted rather than selling the car quick, as you need to get your money back for the converstion.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 20:57   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 960 should not be converted using the old mixer ring set up as a backfire would blow the manifold off as it is held on with rubber coulpers.

We charge £1400 to convert a 960 with a spare wheel tank using the latest multi point injection system.

You do need to calculate your milage and and work out how long it would take you to start saving
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 10:19   #7
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

I wouldn`t bother, if you got it for nothing and the only running costs are tax, insurance, MOT and putting petrol in it I think you`re onto a good thing. Why throw £2k at a car that isn`t even worth it? You could buy a T5r for that sort of cash
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 10:28   #8
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The 960 should not be converted using the old mixer ring set up as a backfire would blow the manifold off as it is held on with rubber coulpers.

We charge £1400 to convert a 960 with a spare wheel tank using the latest multi point injection system.

You do need to calculate your milage and and work out how long it would take you to start saving
Hi
I had my 740GLE converted by clasicswede at the end of Feb
All done over the week end and not run any petrol through it since [still keep looking at the gauge, still half a tank] must use it up before it goes stale , still a run down to cornwall next month should put paid to that.
Trouble is the exhust is lovley and clean , put your finger in and it shows no muck at all . I sprayed it with zinc 123 and no rust showing.
Well Hope you get your car sorted as with a 960 you would get your conversion costs back quicker.
I by the way have used LPG for 40+ years with a short break in between.
I think I might stay with it LOL.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 17:34   #9
Playframe king

Had a couple of LPG vehicles now - always bought with the LPG already fitted - they arent usually that much more expensive - current Rangie is excellent (live on farm before the "Chelsea tractor" brigade start) - use Volvo estates for business - buy them cheapish, put 100,000 on them and let them go for spares once they are B.E.R.

I agree that dont spend the money unless you are going to rack up high mileages...
Playframe king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:12   #10
volvovic

Default Best system for 1989 740 gl estate on lpg

Can you please give me your thoughts on the best lpg system to put on a740 GL with a b230f, electronically injected engine.
volvovic is offline   Reply With Quote