Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adaptive cruise control is just too cool for cats

Views : 5250

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2009, 17:28   #21
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Hmmm suppose it's like BLIS which has been in place for a number of years. Doesn't always recognise bikes but as filtering is only legal in the UK and France I wonder how many bikers have had to think twice around BLIS equipped cars ?
isn't the point supposed to be that it helps if someone suddenly changes lane infront of you, not to totally ignore your driving duties?

for me i'd say its the responsisbility of the biker to look before changing lanes, regardless of 'blis' cars or otherwise, same for cars too, people have been driving for years doing this don't see how this would affect anything?
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 17:49   #22
XC60Owner

Quote:
Hmmm suppose it's like BLIS which has been in place for a number of years. Doesn't always recognise bikes but as filtering is only legal in the UK and France I wonder how many bikers have had to think twice around BLIS equipped cars ?
BLIS picks up motobikes every time for me. But it is not a reason to not look in your mirrors!
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 19:16   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I just had a test drive at Grand Designs at Ecel to demonstrate the City Safety braking system and I thought it was great although my wife found it a bit unerving as it leaves the braking until the last moment and comes on hard bringing the car to a sudden stop. It doesn't work if you are braking yourself.

The guy from Volvo said he had just done a 365 mile trip on adaptive cruise control without needing to do anything other than steer. Sounds brilliant to me.

Must say the build quality of the XC60 looks superb. Love the panoramic sun roof as well.

Roy
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:51   #24
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
BLIS picks up motobikes every time for me. But it is not a reason to not look in your mirrors!
Be careful, BLIS only works on predefined shapes during daylight hours.
After dark it relies on other road users using headlights, a towed trailer, for example, is not 'seen' by BLIS.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:16   #25
XC60Owner

Quote:
Be careful, BLIS only works on predefined shapes during daylight hours.
After dark it relies on other road users using headlights, a towed trailer, for example, is not 'seen' by BLIS.
Yep I've read the manual, it won't work in fog or snow, can also get set off by setting sun behind car. I get the "BLIS service required" message sometimes if there are water marks/rain drops over the camera (a quick wipe fixes this). It's not perfect which is why I always look in my mirrors. But personally I do find it quite useful, especailly on the motorway. What I like is that the orange light shows in my peripheral vision when driving making me extra aware of cars around me.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 13:52   #26
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

It covers the area you can't see in your mirrors. That area between where the vehicle disappears and reappears in your wing mirror. A vehicle traveling only slightly faster than you can be in that area quite a long time.

Roy