Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

need help with maf sensor

Views : 1073

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2009, 19:03   #1
btcc 850

Angry need help with maf sensor

have been told by my local volvo dealer that my maf sensor needs replacing as my lamda sensor light is on on my dash this was not on till the dealer tried to programme a new remote for my central locking. they apparently started & stopped the engine 5-6 times constantly to do the programming and apparently the car wont accept the remote as "it never had one from new" but they say that the lamda light is on as my maf sensor needs replacing and they have quoted me an outrageous fee of £305.05 for the sensor including vat & fitting . the car is running as sweet as a nut and we have been to the ruddington today for the volvo drivers meet and she ran there and back at 70 on the motorway perfectly . whitch makes me think that the dealer is either pulling a fast one and the maf sensor is ok or as im not a mechanic and dont know what a maf sensor is or where this sensor is located on the car . looking on ebay ive found at least 2 of these sensors on there one is £50 and the other one is £56.85 . so where does the dealer get £305.05 from surely the sensor from volvo is not £245 any help in where i go from here would be very very appreciated
btcc 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 19:11   #2
grass hopper
Premier Member

hi,you could ask them to cancel the fault code and see how it goes,could have been a intermitant glitch,if it a permanent fault on the maf sensor the code wont cancel or if does the light will come back on very quickly.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grass hopper For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2009, 19:13   #3
imac
Premier Member

The MAF sensor can be a bit intermittant if it is failing!

You can fit one yourself in about 5-10 mins. When mine failed I sourced a genuine Bosch unit for £17.00.

Volvo wanted £350 or so to supply & fit.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:48   #4
MalcolmEd

Default Malcolm

Is there any long term affect if the MAF is not replaced as soon as it is diagnosed as a problem as I was informed yesterday that it needed replacing at a cost of £352
MalcolmEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 14:58   #5
johnbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac View Post
The MAF sensor can be a bit intermittant if it is failing!

You can fit one yourself in about 5-10 mins. When mine failed I sourced a genuine Bosch unit for £17.00.

Volvo wanted £350 or so to supply & fit.
Bloody hell! Where did you manage to find that? Was it a one off? I'm looking for one at the moment, ebay doesn't have a great range.

Cheers

John
Old May 13th, 2009, 16:16   #6
simonc
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcc 850 View Post
have been told by my local volvo dealer that my maf sensor needs replacing as my lamda sensor light is on on my dash this was not on till the dealer tried to programme a new remote for my central locking. they apparently started & stopped the engine 5-6 times constantly to do the programming and apparently the car wont accept the remote as "it never had one from new" but they say that the lamda light is on as my maf sensor needs replacing and they have quoted me an outrageous fee of £305.05 for the sensor including vat & fitting . the car is running as sweet as a nut and we have been to the ruddington today for the volvo drivers meet and she ran there and back at 70 on the motorway perfectly . whitch makes me think that the dealer is either pulling a fast one and the maf sensor is ok or as im not a mechanic and dont know what a maf sensor is or where this sensor is located on the car . looking on ebay ive found at least 2 of these sensors on there one is £50 and the other one is £56.85 . so where does the dealer get £305.05 from surely the sensor from volvo is not £245 any help in where i go from here would be very very appreciated
sounds a bit suspect, my MAF failed and it ran like a dog, if the cars running fine i wouldnt worry to much
simonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 00:29   #7
mick1232
I've Been Banned

For 1 full yr i had problems symtoms with boost pressure loss,and very poor mixture Other problems are, severe drop in power, inability to accelerate, stalling out. The MAF is a very inportant sensor thats why its so expensive (DONT BUY A CHEAPER NO BRANDED PART),It must be same manufacturer as your vehicles ECM egBosch), due to me not buying Bosch branded MAF sensors i used very cheap modules and the ECU couldnt map around an unknown chip (sensor) I installed 4 in total and Vida on the VCT2000 logged these cheaper sensors everytime until i put on a bosch and problem solved immediatly
mick1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:04   #8
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcc 850 View Post
they apparently started & stopped the engine 5-6 times constantly to do the programming
This is not the way to programme fobs, there is no need for the engine to be cranked...
I would certainly have the code removed (by them for free) as i expect the light has come on due to there stupidity...I also expect that it will not return..
If you have a Phase 2 850, remove the ECM overnight, this should remove the code...
Cheers
Jod
Old May 17th, 2009, 20:30   #9
Andy Bytheway

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker View Post
Bloody hell! Where did you manage to find that? Was it a one off? I'm looking for one at the moment, ebay doesn't have a great range.

Cheers

John
Hi, try Kingsley Car Spares on e-bay - I got a perfect used genuine Bosch one for £25 delivered - worked a treat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy Bytheway For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2009, 22:40   #10
coldfield

Default Maf..

I just ordered a Maf Sensor (Bosch) tested used part cost me £55.

Swedish car spares.
coldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coldfield For This Useful Post: