Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MTE remap

Views : 22475

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 14:18   #11
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Unfortunately my driving style has changed to take account of the increased performance

However I would probably say that the economy is no worse than previous. I reckon if I could keep my right boot somewhat less lead lined then I would not be surprised to see somewhere between 5-10% improvement

On a run to the Alps before the remap I averaged a genuine (calculated) 40mpg over 2000 miles. That was cruising at 80mph generally, with a few blasts round the twisties in the Alps.

Last year we went back to the Alps, slightly different area and route but over a similar 1800 miles of driving, and cruising more at 85 than 80 I averaged 39.6mpg (calculated).

On both occasions the on-board computer overestimated by 3-4mpg.

Recently I have had cause to trundle through the roadworks on the M62 between Manchester and Leeds most weekends recently. With the avaerage speed cameras present I set the cruise at 50-53mph using GPS and have noted 60-65mpg is quite normal (on the flat).

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 23:36   #12
iantowil

Thanks for the info (the whole story) - much appreciated. Have to say I'm tempted to go for a MTE remap with my C70 (2008, D5 manual gearbox), just got the usual concerns about flywheel, clutch, intercooler, DPF. Did wonder whether the weight of the C70 and the extra torque would be more likely to lead to a slipping clutch? I drive very steady these days, so any improvement in fuel economy I'd probably see, but I live in a hilly area so the extra torque would be very nice to have up the hills - and of course the odd moments I do put my foot down.......one to think about!
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 23:45   #13
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the MTE remap is a progresive map and not seat in ya pants first of and then tails of like some re maps.
mike
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 00:31   #14
iantowil

Yeah, I did get taken in by the RICA stuff at first - then data showing 30% pedal position actually giving 100% throttle opening put me off to say the least. I do like the sound of abit more everywhere which is what the MTE remap seems to give - just don't want warning messages for DPF, etc, and the other possible issues, hence the caution.
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 07:07   #15
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i totaly understand your caution and if it goes south its an expensive repair.
mike
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 14:50   #16
iantowil

Exactly Mike. And if anything did start playing up, I'd probably end up blaming the remap - still, that's being pessimistic.

Robbie, for years I've had V6 petrol engined cars, so driven using the torque of the engine at very low revs, usually below 1500rpm and often around 1000rpm unless on open roads. I tend do drive the D5 in the same way - did you find the remap changes the characteristics below 1500rpm? Can you trickle along at 1000rpm without it grumbling too much?
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 15:44   #17
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

at 1500 rpm it burbles along nicely without it grumbling also smooth same as 1000.i did a comparison test yesterday and took the map off took it for a drive and after it had adapted to the change it was a great shock to be honest, there was lots of turbo lag till 2000 rpm then it went i could only get 15 psi maximum boost. stopped at a services and put it back on same again drove it for awhile for it to adapt and power straight away nice and smooth up to 4500 rpm the boost was reading 30 psi.this is my dyno done at the wheels. not hi jacking your thread Robbie honest
mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dyno.jpg (188.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by outnumbered; Mar 11th, 2012 at 15:48.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 01:30   #18
iantowil

Thanks Mike - didn't realise yours had been remapped - MTE remap yes?

How do you manage to switch between maps so easy? Is 15psi the boost limit on the standard map? Sounds like you're used to the extra torque and power now and the standard setup just ain't good enough. When you switched did you notice any significant differences at low revs?
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 21:53   #19
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Default Update

Just a small update.

Car is now up to 102567 miles after this years blast to the Alps and back (just got back earlier this afternoon).
Can't say for sure but something seem to change to the engine's character at about 95k miles. Just seemed to smooth out that bit more.

This trip was 2316 miles, using 57 gallons of fuel (258.7 litres to be exact) so 40.7mpg. OBC was reading 45.2 so even more out than previous trips! Average speed over the trip by OBC came in at 57mph.

Motorways and autoroutes mostly there and back but with a few more entertaining and twisty runs to some slopes other than where we were staying.

Still capable of annoying some more recent cars on the Autoroute Blanche and some of the locals roads in the Morzine/Samoens area

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2013, 22:41   #20
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

welcome back looking for a new car