Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY10 2.4D Geartronic: Buyer Beware

Views : 3352

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 15:15   #21
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
BUT VOLVO DEALERS HAVE BEEN TAKING ORDERS rightly or wrongly .My dealer took an order from me with a paid deposit that clearly states on the order 2011 Model year car including 3% ( due March) price increase mid February . I can send you a copy .

The Fact that Volvo were only taking orders for model year cars from very recently was not generally known by the buying public ,certainly I was not aware of it at the time as I just wanted a car ASAP.

Also the same Dealer (or the salesman I was dealing with) did not have the revised price list for Model year 2011 it on the 6th of April when I gave him a copy supplied by this forum.

The whole changeover of models regarding dealer and customer communication has been a real MESS I agree with you on that point.

I am sure some of the dealers will argue they were selling model 2010 cars but you cannot escape from FACTS and paperwork to prove facts its called evidence. And the evidence I have in my dealings with a Volvo dealer is contrary to your claim.
I think you basically were lied to from the off. I saw and email that was sent to ALL dealers, some of which I recognised like Rybrooks, Marshalls etc. Internal communication within the dealerships could be the root of these problems.
Of course, that does not excuse Volvo for what seems like dragging their heels with regards to updating there marketing materials.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 15:38   #22
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
I think you basically were lied to from the off. I saw and email that was sent to ALL dealers, some of which I recognised like Rybrooks, Marshalls etc. Internal communication within the dealerships could be the root of these problems.
Of course, that does not excuse Volvo for what seems like dragging their heels with regards to updating there marketing materials.

Yes I agree I was lied to and the order should never have been taken that far in advance .Especially as my Px was going in as scrappage and they couldn’t tie the paperwork up for scrappage without the chassis number of the new 2011 model year Volvo car (to be supplied by Volvo) to link it to the old car for government rebate procedure.

The thing is the first dealer in Lancashire where I originally saw the XC60 (we were looking at an Audi Q5 till then) was offering the same scrappage deal in early February with June delivery so he would have had no chance of supplying me a car either because June 2010 cars are model year 2011 cars.

They were all at it ,least the ones I visited !!! so when someone tells me no orders were being taken until recently for 2011 model cars I beg to differ because I had two doing just that . I can see now that they couldn’t have officially ordered with Volvo but I was not to know that at the time. Its only since I have become aware of the various dealings and statements on this forum that I have become clued up on it all myself

Last edited by Daleman; Apr 26th, 2010 at 15:40. Reason: wrong date
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 10:31   #23
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Default Update

VCUK has responded. I won't go into the details, but change to 188g/km was effective production Week 9. My car was built in Week 12. No explanation as to what caused the increase.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:11   #24
Daleman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155mph View Post
VCUK has responded. I won't go into the details, but change to 188g/km was effective production Week 9. My car was built in Week 12. No explanation as to what caused the increase.
So what do you intend to do about it? Take it further or leave it?
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:20   #25
Teejay1
Master Member

WOW that's a surprise, I think you are well within your rights to reject the car, if you feel you should, on the grounds that its a material change in the product. Which was a large enough change for you to make the decision to go for the Drive as opposed to the D5 !!

That should have been made much more clear to you, as soon as they knew!!

Get on the phone to trading standards
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 17:12   #26
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
WOW that's a surprise, I think you are well within your rights to reject the car, if you feel you should, on the grounds that its a material change in the product. Which was a large enough change for you to make the decision to go for the Drive as opposed to the D5 !!

That should have been made much more clear to you, as soon as they knew!!

Get on the phone to trading standards
Totally AGREE.

You only get the log book weeks after taking delivery & who inspects their road tax disk? How were you supposed to know?

This should clearly have been pointed out to you.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 18:07   #27
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Therein lies my dilemma. I love my car. Nothing wrong with it. Had I known the FWD was in the same VED band as the D5, perhaps I would have gone for that. Why a car produced in Week 9 would have less emissions than one in Week 12 is beyond me. I am no engineer.

VCUK were aware of the change. They printed an addendum and slipped it into the owner's manual. Why not then simply inform customers?

This is simply sloppy customer relations on the part of VCUK. I am worried this is the start of a rocky relationship with Volvo.

Would I return the car? Of course not. Do I feel hard done by Volvo? Absolutely.

Nonetheless, my contract of sale is with the dealer and I will give them a chance to right this wrong. Failing that, yes, I will be reporting the matter to Trading Standards and the finance company.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 18:48   #28
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

I can only imagine your disappointment. Buying a new car is a big commitment which you hope will bring pleasure but there is certainly a dark cloud hanging around here.

I agree that your contract is with the dealer but I really don't think that a bit of paper slid into the handbook begins to meet their obligations. They are fortunate that you acknowledge having seen it at all! I would reming you that any car on display or advertised is legally required to have its CO2 displayed. I don't know the law on this point but they must be really close to acting illegally despite any disclaimer that they might have.

I don't even know what a remedy might be. Car tax rates are rising & who knows what difference that group will make to resale value, road tax, congestion charging, road pricing, parking (yes really) etc in the future.

If it were me I would know EXACTLY what my legal position was before I spoke to the dealer but I would be aware that any rights diminish VERY quickly with the passage of time.

Good luck.

Chris
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisE For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 22:29   #29
Ian W XC60

Under the Sale of Goods Act, products you purchase must be, amongst other things, "as described":
Quote:
As described
This means that the item you buy should be the same as any description of it. A description could be what the seller has said to you about the item or something written in a brochure.
From http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...ghts/DG_182935

Between you ordering your vehicle and it being delivered to you the CO2 was increased without you being informed. So not only is the vehicle not as described but this is detrimental in terms of company car tax so, though I'm no lawyer, you appear to have a good case to reject the goods. That's not what you want, but neither will the dealer or VOLVO which may well put you in a strong position to get some other form of remedy.

Trading Standards or the legal expenses cover on your car or household insurance would be a good starting point IMO.
Old May 10th, 2010, 20:44   #30
Daleman
Master Member

These threads explain how volvo uk seem to deal with this type of thing

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=faulty+volvos

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80585
The Following User Says Thank You to Daleman For This Useful Post: