Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

144s, I'm actually putting it back together!

Views : 6504

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2010, 14:35   #21
Lucien
VOC Member

Looks lovely, I'll look forward to the finished car. Should be a gem. Well done.
Lucien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 20:05   #22
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
It was a bit tongue in cheek John, but the bloody thing does seem to have become institutionalised. It seems quite happy to be sat in a corner of the workshop; dry and warm with other cars for company. It hasn't yet turned a wheel in anger and has consumed a heater valve, drop window, windscreen wiper rack and bonnet hinge quite apart from the stuff we put on "voluntarily".

We also reckon the lowering springs are just springs; it's far too "tippy toes". It'll be spot on once it hits the road though.
Now you should know they like sitting about having a good old Swedish chinwag

But seriously, I know how disheartening projects can be when you think you can see light at the end of the tunnel, and it turns out to be a mirage.

All I can say is give it the Dunkirk Spirit; you know it will be worth it in th end - and I love the look of the PV544

Cheers,

T

p.s. As an aside, has anyone else noticed how boat-like the back of a 144 is sans lights and bumper?

Last edited by T240; Jul 24th, 2010 at 20:15.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 21:40   #23
940_Turbo

A bit more progress; the interior mostly got sorted today. A couple of panels were let into the seats, the driver's sear was worn throughand the rear seat had been torn. The seat base cushions for the front seats were repaired. Unfortunately we're missing a head rest, does anyone have a late (narrow) maroon head rest. These have the uprights approximately 20cm apart.

The covers were stripped from the seat.

The driver's seat back was worn through

New panel in the driver's seat

We've also got a new panel in the rear seat

This is the type of headrest I'm after.

Because of the new panels the leather will get re-coloured. I really like the faded look but it can't be matched.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 06:02   #24
fredwinter
VOC Member

Hi, I have just managed to get some more front seats to replace the red ones in our other rally Volvo known as the fluffy car as it only does historic runs and road rallies. I will check when I get home to Norfolk from todays North Yorkshire Classic Rally in the other car to see if the headrests are the distance apart you require. Unfortunately they are only plastic finish but you are welcome to them if they fit.
Fred
fredwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 20:19   #25
940_Turbo

Brilliant. The head resrs were always vinyl so that is fine. Do you happen to have the matching red door cards? This is a car with quarter lights.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 16:01   #26
fredwinter
VOC Member

The headrests are 20cm centre to centre. So if you want one or both please let me know. As for the red door cards unless someone has got some black ones I cannot help. Fred
fredwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 21:13   #27
940_Turbo

Got a bit more done today. I managed to drag Rick away from the Silver Ghost and Aston Zagato to make some Volvo carpets

Another step closer; I need to just motivate myself to finish it, there really isn't much standing between it and the open road......
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 16:03   #28
eternal optimist
Master Member

Looking fabulous!
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 23:25   #29
940_Turbo

I've not forgotten about this, we're just waiting on a few bits.

I fitted the lowering springs and they're laughable. They were bought years ago, the nose is up in the air and the car is dragging its tail. A set of new springs will shortly be heading for the nearest metal skip. Mark is going to have another set made to our specification.

The rear lights are still away...

The seats have today been re coloured, below is a liottle snreak preview! They will dull down slightly once the new lacquer dries completely.

Old Sep 28th, 2010, 17:19   #30
JIH

Curious to know what products you used to dye the leather. Was the pvc piping not cracked? Was the rest of the vinyl on the lower sections/back in good shape or did you have to replace any of that? I'm most curious as I have the same seats - colour and all - in a 164 of mine. Also in a similar state.
JIH is offline   Reply With Quote