Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replaced my TCV (T5)

Views : 1086

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2018, 00:13   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default Replaced my TCV (T5)

Quote:
"Under the bonnet there is a 2.5-litre turbocharged Volvo engine.. and the torque it chucks out is immense!...
Any gear, any revs, any prod on the throttle and
you get a deep bellow and a very very satisfying surg."
Jeremy Clarkson reviewing the 2.5-litre Focus ST in 2006.

At 130,000 miles, my T5 wasn't exhibiting the "Any gear, any revs" torque characteristics. I found myself waiting for it to accelerate through 2nd and 3rd. Almost like when a VVT cam isn't engaging. Was also recently overtaken by a completely stock MK3 Focus ST in a manner which would suggest my car had a problem.

I've had a Pierburg TCV sat in the shed for ages but kept putting it off as the job looks like a pain due to the location, however made myself do it yesterday.

ECU takes a while to adjust to the new TCV so didn't expect immediate improvements (24 hours). Upon first driving it, the car drove like the ECU had been reset i.e it felt strangled and worst on power than before. However took the car out and let the car get used to my driving style.

Next day, car is now producing the "any gear any revs" torque behavior and at high RPM I can actually hear the turbo hiss. Car feels quick again, and noticeably smoother in acceleration. It's worth noting that TCV is pretty much a consumable on these cars and there are recommendations to replace them after 60,000 miles.

The job is a bit of a pain, but no more so than replacing the cabin filter... Go in via the drivers side wheel arch area.

Tips when replacing:

- No need to remove the wheel arch liner.
- Remove the top bolt of the anti-roll bar drop link and move it out of the way for better access.
- You'll need a torch to see what you're doing.
- Unplug the connector from the TCV first before trying to unseat the TCV.
- Stick the handle end of a breaker bar underneath the TCV and lever downards to lift it from the metal prong that it sits on without any drama.
- Remove the right-hand pipe first as it's the shortest and restricts movement of the TCV. One that one is off, you can move the TCV closer to you when removing the other two pipes.

I used two 9mm 'Petrol hose clamps' to replace the quick release clamps on the two horizontal pipes. The top pipe is narrower so I just re-used the original clamp.

Last edited by T5R92011; Nov 10th, 2018 at 00:16.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 17:47   #2
kmb

I experienced the same on my 139k miler 850 T5, made a big difference and restored 2-3 psi of boost (changed all vacuum lines at the same time as they were showing signs of fatigue).

Should def be a serviceable item. What mileage did your car have it's first replacement (or never) ?
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 21:40   #3
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

From what I can tell its never been changed.

As I plan to remap mine, I believe most tuners highly advise a TCV replacement as part of Stage 0 prep.
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 22:13   #4
Sysyphus

Thinking I should probably be adding this near to the top of my todo list
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 11:34   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Just to add my 2c, mine failed 2 years ago at around 100k.
In my case - apart from feeling of car's sluggishness, I could observe low boost and TCV duty cycle off the charts, when testing with Vida.
I am not sure if those really loose performance in time (i/e. if not broken, will it work worse just because its old? ) but for sure its one of most critical component to keep turbo piping in good condition and defo one of the cheapest to replace.

Also - worth adding - replacing CBV (that small metal valve going from turbo to piping) made quite a difference on mine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161113_115523.jpg (233.0 KB, 75 views)
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 15:01   #6
btjtaylor

How do you view the boost info in VIDA?
btjtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 16:02   #7
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by btjtaylor View Post
How do you view the boost info in VIDA?
You pull out few relevant parameters (see my example) depending on your liking, but most important are (A) Ambient air pressure and (B) Boost pressure.

you substract the A from B and the difference (like on mine = 215hpa) converted fo PSI will give you all answers.
Along with some extra values (hence my additional parameters displayed) you can see that with fully opened throttle and TCV duty cycle at correct value, I was only achieving 3 PSI boost so there was an obvious sign of something not right.

PS - as driving&watching laptop is not something recommended, get yourself some screen recording freeware, like ICE Screen recorder or anything similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t_1.jpg (23.8 KB, 71 views)
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 20:43   #8
Sysyphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post

PS - as driving&watching laptop is not something recommended, get yourself some screen recording freeware, like ICE Screen recorder or anything similar.
Doesn’t VIDA itself have built in logging/graphing so you can view data after the drive?
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 10:44   #9
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysyphus View Post
Doesn’t VIDA itself have built in logging/graphing so you can view data after the drive?
pretty sure it does, but I am not sure how to use it properly yet :P Still learning this software even after 2 years.
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 17:23   #10
Sysyphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
pretty sure it does, but I am not sure how to use it properly yet :P Still learning this software even after 2 years.
Gotcha. I’m in a similar position, hence my question rather than a statement