Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tom Tom Sat Nav on XC60

Views : 5287

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2010, 23:15   #11
bluesnappa

Cheers. I was thinking of boring/drilling a hole through the facia just under the rubber mat in the (dash hole) slot where the volvo sat nav would sit, and route the power cable down and out under the drivers seat and plug into the rear lighter socket. I just dont like seeing cable if I can get away with it. Have you wired yours 'in' yet?
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 23:41   #12
rkennedy

Hoping to start the installation tomorrow. I have purchased the Brodit passthrough connector (279018) which includes the in car charger so no need for the cig lighter holder behind the dash. I am also looking at drilling the hole underneath the mat to ensure all wires are hidden but will determine the final position once the facia trim has been removed. I will tap into the official Volvo position at the rear of the armrest at the 12V socket so no wires will be showing.
I will take photos of the install and then post here.

Last edited by rkennedy; Mar 4th, 2010 at 23:43.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 09:54   #13
ZERO-TO-XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnappa View Post
Cheers. I was thinking of boring/drilling a hole through the facia just under the rubber mat in the (dash hole) slot where the volvo sat nav would sit, and route the power cable down and out under the drivers seat and plug into the rear lighter socket. I just dont like seeing cable if I can get away with it. Have you wired yours 'in' yet?
not yet but thats how I plan to do it as well - and with the grand I have saved will spend two weeks using it whilst driving round Switzerland
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 21:33   #14
rkennedy

I have now completed the install for the sat nav as you can see from the attached photos. A couple of pointers for everyone who is thinking of this addition to their car.
1 The Brodit passthrough connector can either be attached to the facia with the swivel adapter attached or not. If it is not attached, the sat nav device sits "deeper" into the recess but you will not be able to remove it from the car. I therefore decided to keep the swivel - this makes the device sit further "out" from the dashboard but the device can be removed when you leave the car. Also if you remove the swivel you have to remove the rubber mat which sits in this location; you do not need to remove it if you use the swivel.
2 By leaving the rubber mat in place you can drill a hole in the facia at the rear of the mat and the mat will cover it - no wires to be seen.
3 Routed the wiring back to the armrest 12V connection point using the charger device supplied with the Brodit.
4 Installation was done using the Volvo accessories instruction for the official Garmin device. The instructions were fine - all pieces of trim were dismantled easily except the rear armrest trim. This was a pig to remove and you have to be very careful you do not break the trim. It has to be removed at an upward angle of 45 degrees (thanks for this tip from other members) but you find that it is almost impossible to pull off the trim whilst still holding on to the armrest (the instructions have told you to remove the 4 screws holding the armrest to the floor). I found that I had to only partially remove the 4 screws to enable me to get both hands on the trim to remove it.
5 I also purchased the Brodit high centre mount (654297) but did not like the way it looked on the car. I will use it however when I sell the car as it will hide the very small mounting holes in the facia when attaching the swivel mount.
The above mounting only applies to my Tom Tom XL IQ Routes edition - it may be different for other sat nav models. Hope this helps those who are contemplating this install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000434(1).jpg (110.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg P1000436(1).jpg (105.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1000440(1).jpg (80.4 KB, 73 views)
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 21:08   #15
bluesnappa

rkennedy, what did you do to remove the facia and the two air vents, where the sat nav is sitting...in other words...how do you get it off? I would like to remove it to run the sat nav power cable down to the side of the drivers seat and then under the seat and plug an extension from the aux socket at the rear of the arm rest straight into the sat nav one. How easy is it to get that top facia off and can you give any tips? Thanks very much.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 22:52   #16
rkennedy

Facia was very easy to remove. If you look at the Volvo instructions (http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...turecode=en-GB) instruction number 3 highlights where the spring clips are located. I used the Brodit trim tool and started at the top right hand corner (as you look at the facia) and worked across the top to the other 3 clips then worked down to the lower clips on either side. There are a number of locating pins on the bottom face of the facia trim (see instruction number 7) and it is just a matter of then lifting the trim out - you may have to "wiggle" it about a bit to completely remove it.
The removal of the tunnel trim was just as simple - instruction number 2 shows how to remove the clips. It is important that you follow the order of removal noted in the instruction - note that at location 1, the bottom right hand corner of the trim is located into the rear tunnel with a "hook and claw" type fitting and location 3 (top left hand corner) which has a similar type fitting. You also need to pull location 2 out from the tunnel to be able to remove the fitting at location 3. All will become clear as you start to remove the trim.
Your big problem will be in getting the rear armrest trim removed (as I stated in an earlier post) but you can have the option of running the wiring within the tunnel and then plugging into the rear 12V socket.
Good luck.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 19:04   #17
bluesnappa

So do I just put the tool in at the clip point and just lever it? I have never removed trim before and am afraid to break something! How much force do you need? Thanks for the info though...much appreciated.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 19:39   #18
philgood

One advice I would add is to use masking tape to cover the silver trim around the facia so you won't scratch it. It's not hard to take the piece out.

BTW, the facia only cost CAD$50
philgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 22:28   #19
bluesnappa

Done it, just made a hole and used a wire to pass the cable through. No trim removal needed. Wired up under the seat. No cable showing and the Garmin fills the space perfectly. One happy owner.

Tags
sat nav, wiring diagram, xc60