Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Purchase

Views : 1176

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2019, 18:57   #11
mercuryrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
I don't know the age of the vehicles involved but if it has had the EGR/Cooler done in the past year then it should be on whats called 'the final fix'. It would be a prudent move to quiz them on the history.

Yeah, I think the pipe and slippers and old mans car perception is well and truly buried. As far as I'm aware we didn't get the Ocean Race XC60 in the UK, I've certainly never seen one.
They are both late 2014's. The Ocean Race seems to be a special paint job (pearl white in this case), sportier electric seats, different alloys and a few little cosmetic things relating to their sponsorship of the round the world race. The luggage cover has a map showing all the stop off points as does a trim down the centre console. No doubt there are other things, I just haven't seen enough XC60s.

Did you know about the EGR problem when you bought yours?
mercuryrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 19:30   #12
Toad of Toad Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdst5 View Post
I have the a V70 with the drivers support pack which includes the ACC and as others have said in the right conditions it's very useful.

I also have the rear camera and that does allow you to get very close to an object, much more so than I find with just the sensors. I believe you can retrofit the Volvo camera but I believe it needs a software update, I think someone on here quote something like £700 - £1,000 to have it all done including hardware, fitting and software etc. It was something like £700 option on the V70 when new.

I have not driven a car with the 8spd but the 6spd box is fine, its not a sports car after all.
I retrofitted a reversing camera to my 2015 V70 and it was very straightforward, XC60 should be very similar. I got the kit off eBay and then had the dealer do the software upgrade. Kit was about £350 and then from memory the dealer charged about £30.

I've got the V70 D4 auto with the 8 speed box and also have a 2014 XC60 D5 AWD auto with the 6 speed box. They are both great but different. The XC60 is far more responsive coming out of bends, the power always seems to be there but it does have Polestar. I find the V70 D4 is quite hesitant when you come to a roundabout braking and then accelerate on as if it's in the wrong gear. Other than that it's very smooth a surprisingly quick.
Toad of Toad Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toad of Toad Hall For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 21:36   #13
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryrev View Post
They are both late 2014's. The Ocean Race seems to be a special paint job (pearl white in this case), sportier electric seats, different alloys and a few little cosmetic things relating to their sponsorship of the round the world race. The luggage cover has a map showing all the stop off points as does a trim down the centre console. No doubt there are other things, I just haven't seen enough XC60s.

Did you know about the EGR problem when you bought yours?
I bought mine late 2015, so a my16 car. I think the EGR problems were only just starting to surface at around this time. It wouldn't of stopped me buying one. Something to be aware of though if out of warranty or it doesn't have a full and comprehensive Volvo service history.

Last edited by MikeGMT; Jan 11th, 2019 at 21:38. Reason: text
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 21:55   #14
xsaab
Master Member

ACC would be very useful in France where the countryside speed limit has dropped to 80km/hour. It will help you to be protected from Macron's tax collectors even when the car in front accelerates away.
ACC is great for minimising speeding tickets - if used correctly. Revrsing camera is esential for a car the size of an XC60.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 22:21   #15
mercuryrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
ACC would be very useful in France where the countryside speed limit has dropped to 80km/hour. It will help you to be protected from Macron's tax collectors even when the car in front accelerates away.
ACC is great for minimising speeding tickets - if used correctly. Revrsing camera is esential for a car the size of an XC60.
It turns out the spec sheet is wrong on the Ocean Race, it does have a camera!

Funnily enough I have cruise on my T5 here and never use it in the 80s. It's such a ridiculous speed limit that very few are keeping to it. Most of the cameras have been vandalised thanks to the gillet jaunes.

It's also just been published that the number of deaths hasn't dropped in the first 6 months. Far worse here is texting or chatting on the phone while driving.
mercuryrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 14:20   #16
mbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
Revrsing camera is esential for a car the size of an XC60.
Parking sensors yes, reversing camera not essential IMO.
mbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 20:31   #17
toffeetoffee

Default Considering Purchasing a XC60

Hi all new to this forum.
I'm considering changing my car from a Jaguar XF to a Volvo XC60.
Having had a couple of electronic issues with the Jaguar, is there any issues with the XC60 I should consider before purchase?
Not fully sure what XC60 variation to go for yet, I need a vehicle to pull a large caravan. Has anyone out there got any tips please?
toffeetoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 22:57   #18
HDAV
Master Member

The AWD D5 will pull it well but is the most thirsty if going for an auto the FWD and AWD have different gearboxes (depends on year) the later VEA D4 had some get cooler issues so make sure has been fixed, what sort of years are you looking at?

Most will tow around 2000kg if you want to tow more more then look at the 90
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 23:57   #19
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I've a 2015 D5 AWD Auto with all of the toys you mention bar the reversing camera.

ACC is great on long motorway/dual carriageway trips BLIS is also great for long trips when the concentration may drop.

I think the BLIS & ACC are both in the driver support pack to indeed gives you the protection when reversing out of spaces, also lane keeping warning & driver alert. I've also got the speed camera recognition & distance/collision warning which came as part of the driver support package.

My previous XC60 had none of the driver support stuff & standard cruise control, my 2nd just takes everything to another level.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote