Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

towbar?????

Views : 917

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2019, 18:09   #1
games133

Default towbar?????

hi im going get a towbar for my xc60 se lux. im going fit it my self. i have 2 question really

1 if i get a standard towbar that sticks out all the time will it interfer with my revers sensors.

2 i know the car has canbus system. i was going buy a box that gets its live from a perment live and then only gets a signal from the light them selfs or the conection for the towbar. then used the perment live to power the light thus not cauing error on the lights has any one used one?
games133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 19:18   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Others may disagree but these are my thoughts.

1. If you for a fixed towbar it may interfere with the rear sensors.

2. If you tap into the wiring you are potentially going to cause all sorts of problems. Much better to use the Volvo kit which plugs into existing sockets and if you have the software done will also check the trailer lights and adjust the stability control to the needs of the trailer. Not a cheap option but a much better one.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 22:35   #3
Cozza
Cozza

The Volvo electrics are much less than you might think. The cost depends on whether your car already has some units fitted as standard - some do. Personally there’s no chance I would start mucking about with any other method, given the CANBUS system on cars now.
Cozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 00:09   #4
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by games133 View Post
1 if i get a standard towbar that sticks out all the time will it interfer with my revers sensors?
I wouldn’t expect it will interfere with the sensors but it will interfere with your shins...
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 13:06   #5
hancym
Master Member

I fitted a third-party tow bar (permanent swan neck) and used the Volvo electrics at about £100 if I recall. Activation of the software was £47 but the sensors are switched off automatically and so is the fog light. I wouldn't normally buy a genuine kit but give it's a Volvo and everything is nailed down in their usual monopolising manner, I didn't hesitate to get the OEM electrics
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 14:25   #6
kenny
Master Member

There are plenty of very good aftermarket tow bars that will be perfectly fine. Volvo do not make their bars they buy them in from Brinks/Thule.
The wiring is not worth going aftermarket though. As said the Volvo kit is reasonably priced and it does a lot more than making the lights work or switching the reverse sensors off. Your car has a lot of stability control system and abs brakes. The software up date let’s your car know when it is towing and these all work differently to keep you safe. If you go after market with a crap bypass relay you might get the lights working but you bypass all these safety features that Volvo spent millions on developing. Buy right buy once comes to mind.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 19:16   #7
nigxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
There are plenty of very good aftermarket tow bars that will be perfectly fine. Volvo do not make their bars they buy them in from Brinks/Thule.
The wiring is not worth going aftermarket though. As said the Volvo kit is reasonably priced and it does a lot more than making the lights work or switching the reverse sensors off. Your car has a lot of stability control system and abs brakes. The software up date let’s your car know when it is towing and these all work differently to keep you safe. If you go after market with a crap bypass relay you might get the lights working but you bypass all these safety features that Volvo spent millions on developing. Buy right buy once comes to mind.
Agree totally with above.
Cost me around £400 all in to fit my own brink detachable kit with all the genuine wiring and update.
Never detached the bar as it doesn't affect the reversing sensors.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 01:05   #8
games133

i cant decied between detachable or attached. has anyone got any pics of the detached ones? id like to see if a cover can be fitted. to prtect the towbar from the crap of the road. other wise its going be a attached
games133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 05:49   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

There is a cover that fits over the cutout in the bumper. This hides the socket for the detachable bracket and the 13 pin wiring plug.

During non towing use my actual towball and bracket that fits into the socket are in a bag in the garage so no problem with muck from the road.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 08:01   #10
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by games133 View Post
i cant decied between detachable or attached. has anyone got any pics of the detached ones? id like to see if a cover can be fitted. to prtect the towbar from the crap of the road. other wise its going be a attached
Cover is ok not as smooth as bumper was originally. I keep my towball in the boot under the floor in its little bag when not needed with a spare number plate just in case...

Wouldn’t worry about the bit you see and road crap it’s the bits you can’t.... however the locking mechanism probably doesn’t appreciate the salt etc....

I’m sure Volvo will sel the cover separately to match bumper as quite a few must get lost it clips into the same mount as the towbar so another reason to go brink/Thule have you read the fitting guide sticky?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote