Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how much is tax on different D5's?

Views : 2398

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2020, 21:27   #1
mark2410

Default how much is tax on different D5's?

so ive got a 2008 v50 d5 and its rather ouchy for tax and im thinking that i may move to an xc70d5 but id be interested to minimise the tax. is there anywhere that shows which years D5's cost how much as they changed over time?
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 23:18   #2
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Parkers quotes ved by year.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 02:02   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Road tax isn't cheap on five cylinder diesel engines, thanks to our Government.

You won't be saving much road tax wise by swapping your V50 D5 for an XC70 D5. Newer XC70 D5 models appear to be £265 per annum to tax - So there isn't really much difference to what you'll be paying now, I imagine? The only real saving you'll make by buying a newer model with say a D3 engine (Still a 5 cylinder, but a newer model) for example is fuel economy. Don't forget, you have the outlay to purchase a vehicle with the newer engine though = more cost.

Older D5 engines (185bhp) are approx £300 per year to tax. Newer models like the D3's & D4's (Still 5 cylinder engines, but with different power outputs) seem to be around £265. Newer D5 engines with 205bhp & 215bhp are more or less the same cost to tax as the older 185bhp version (approx £300 per year), as they (205 & 215bhp engines) have twin turbo's (More power, but you pay for that power basically). The older 185's had a single turbo, but still remain in the higher tax band nowadays because they're older engines in comparison to other newer models available, like I've mentioned earlier. You may be asking why would an older 185bhp engine be as dear as a much newer model, its because its old & the Government charge more to keep them on the road. The same for the high powered variants with twin turbo's (you pay more for them too).

So basically, if you're planning to purchase a newer model to lower your road tax per annum, then it won't reduce by as much as you may think (It could increase!). Yes you'll have a newer car if you decide to go down that route with a newer style engine (depending on the year/model you go for), but that's going to cost you a fair bit of money to do so to save a minimal amount per annum on your road tax, if you save anything at all. Like I said before, the real saving in these newer D5's is fuel.

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 16th, 2020 at 02:27.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 09:45   #4
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post

You won't be saving much road tax wise by swapping your V50 D5 for an XC70 D5. Newer XC70 D5 models appear to be £265 per annum to tax - So there isn't really much difference to what you'll be paying now, I imagine? The only real saving you'll make by buying a newer model with say a D3 engine (Still a 5 cylinder, but a newer model) for example is fuel economy. Don't forget, you have the outlay to purchase a vehicle with the newer engine though = more cost.

Older D5 engines (185bhp) are approx £300 per year to tax. Newer models like the D3's & D4's (Still 5 cylinder engines, but with different power outputs) seem to be around £265. Newer D5 engines with 205bhp & 215bhp are more or less the same cost to tax as the older 185bhp version (approx £300 per year), as they (205 & 215bhp engines) have twin turbo's (More power, but you pay for that power basically). The older 185's had a single turbo, but still remain in the higher tax band nowadays because they're older engines in comparison to other newer models available, like I've mentioned earlier. You may be asking why would an older 185bhp engine be as dear as a much newer model, its because its old & the Government charge more to keep them on the road. The same for the high powered variants with twin turbo's (you pay more for them too).

So basically, if you're planning to purchase a newer model to lower your road tax per annum, then it won't reduce by as much as you may think (It could increase!). Yes you'll have a newer car if you decide to go down that route with a newer style engine (depending on the year/model you go for), but that's going to cost you a fair bit of money to do so to save a minimal amount per annum on your road tax, if you save anything at all. Like I said before, the real saving in these newer D5's is fuel.
My 2014 V70 D4 with the 181 bhp 4-cylinder VEA engine has marginally better performance than a 185 bhp D5 but costs only £30 for annual VED. It doesn't have that lovely 5-cylinder sound but neither is it lumpy like some 4-cylinder diesels. Instead, it's a very smooth and refined beast and benefits from an 8-speed automatic gearbox.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 18:29   #5
reggit
Premier Member

My 2010MY D5(205) is £0!

Ok, it’s on disabled tax class - runs away 😂
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 18:33   #6
PJordan

My annual road tax is £160 - XC60 D5 2.4l registered in March 2017
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 19:29   #7
Adrian888

My D6 hybrid is £nil, nowt, zero, free
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 00:01   #8
mark2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post

oh the change wasnt to save money per say, planning to change anyway the tax thing is just to influence which one i end up going for
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 00:04   #9
mark2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
My D6 hybrid is £nil, nowt, zero, free
what model? i dont think ive ever seen a D6 anything
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 20:30   #10
Stu B
Master Member

My reminder has just arrived this week, I must have had the car a year. £330 for a V70 D5 (185) auto, a manual may be a little less on tax perhaps but I prefer not to change gear

Last edited by Stu B; Sep 17th, 2020 at 20:35.
Stu B is offline   Reply With Quote