Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Auto - Anti Skid Service Required - Diagnostic help.

Views : 7406

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread : Simmy

Old Apr 19th, 2024, 13:17   #31
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

SAS is steering angle sensor, no ?

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 13:27   #32
Simmy
Premier Member

yes sas steering angle sensor which can be calibrated with vida
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 22:35   #33
Chris1Roll

[QUOTE=pupley;2946141]
...only one oil change...
...Ive put over 90k on this car.
/QUOTE]

Oof!
Playing with fire there.
The 'black death' can be a thing on these cars even when they are serviced!
It did for our previous (fully serviced) 2.4 170, admittedly assisted by me wearing polarised sunglasses in low winter sun meaning that I couldn't see the warning light until we changed direction - by which point it had already started eating the big end bearing on No3 cylinder.

Volvo issued a bulletin about it, basically saying they recommended a new engine for afflicted cars but that if the customer was on a budget that providing the bearings had survived, cleaning the sump out and regular fully synthetic oil changes would keep them on the road.

Last edited by Chris1Roll; Apr 19th, 2024 at 22:39.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 00:51   #34
pupley

[QUOTE=Chris1Roll;2946280]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pupley View Post
...only one oil change...
...Ive put over 90k on this car.
/QUOTE]

Oof!
Playing with fire there.
I know, but to be fair the oil filter o-ring was leaking so much that probably gave it 3 oil changes through top ups. I always used a good quality chip fat. Joking aside I will be adding a cleaning agent and then flushing the oil a couple times in coming months to play catchup especially given your heads up warning.

@ajm Steering Angle Sensor

@Simmy for the Cambelt job ill defo be using genuine parts or equivalent quality after-market parts ie OEM brands, as parts for a Cambelt job are generally not that expensive relatively speaking.

Regarding the SAS, the setup with VIDA on the car is more just that, a setup as opposed to a calibration of the circuit inside the SAS assembly. On the circuit board there are 9 opto switches that give an on/off signal (ie digital) and activated by the interruptor wheel which through a gear also drives that optical blade (angled slit) up and down, between a pair of IR photoresistors which provide a variable (analog) output signal by way of transceiving through the optical blade. The analog and digi signals have to correlate. Over time these (analog) can change in their luminosity reading dimming slightly with age, so the actual circuit itself oft needs to be retrimmed, and theres a trim pot on the board for doing just that but its very sensitive. Sometimes you can get away with just a gentle clean of the optical sensors but not always.

If anyone needs an SAS refreshed Id be happy to help, disassembly and reassembly can be tricky although ive read of a few on here that have done it DIY, I even had one that was reading 180 degrees out even with a VIDA recal' attempt before i took it apart, which then took me a while to figure out how that was even possible, learning in the end it was actually an easy mistake to make on re-assembly (someone had tried before). Or if there is a demand I could get a couple units on hand and offer out on an exchange reco basis. I know they are not new news but they all fail, and i've gotten a little deft with them now.
pupley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pupley For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 02:54   #35
pupley

With a couple of tyres, and a new set of rear anti roll bar mushes the car has passed its MOT. Doing those bushes on the ground has for sure left me a tad achey. I now have a list of further jobs for the 2006 V70 Auto to show it some long overdue love, in the coming weeks bit by bit to bring it to near faultless condition. Join me on the rest of this journey.

Any input or recommendations on items with an asterisk would be most welcome. I have done a fair bit of googling and searching volvo forums etc, and some areas are slightly overwhelming with varied suggestions so seeking clarification.
  • ABS reluctor ring OSF - cracked. ABS light comes on above 50mph. Have the ring already will be done this week. Then I will have a clear fault free dash for the first time since owning this car.
  • More tyres then full alignment
  • NS combination (lower) tail light* - Appears to be darker inside. slight moisture visible. Are these known to go bad or will a good internal wash/blow out revive it?
  • Swap Interior bulbs for LEDs* - Have read some can cause issues/CEM errors?
  • Remove Injectors and clean/ultrasonic bath* + Fuel filter. Crikey O-rings seem expensive on flea bay? Other sources?
  • Engine oil and filter change + Air filter
  • Auto Trans oil change/flush + fit inline mag filter + trans module firmware check/update*
  • Cambelt+Water pump* - best place to reliably get OE/OEM grade kit ie Conti' belt, Aisin W/pump, INA Pulley+Tensioner?
  • Front Discs and pads* - Warped. Recommendations on known good or OE brand of discs. Ive already replaced these once, cheaped out and they warped.
  • Fix/replace rear side marker LEDs* new modules or replace LEDS on module board?
  • Replace Ignition ring light bulb* - showing error on Vida
  • Repair CCM temp sensor* - showing error on Vida. Replace thermistor in centre console module?
  • Investigate A/C not working* Simple recharge? - Has never worked since i've had the vehicle. Aside from fixing any leaks (if viable) i'm expecting to change the receiver dryer do to age, or not bother? Any known common leaks on the AC on these?
  • Check for any other module software updates* - Using original Dice with 2014d Vida can a cracked Vida download updates from the net or does it require a 3 day subscription? Or other method? Or leave well alone ie dont fix what aint broke?

Its a bit of a list, but mostly very low or zero cost low pain items. Thinking ill get this most/all done in a 4-6 week timeline. Also if there are any other known Volvo specific service items I might have missed that you can suggest, please do . TIA
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 09:35   #36
Simmy
Premier Member

3 day subscription not available in the uk only usa and canada. software updates main dealer or independent with full vida subscription although some may be available with vdash at a cost. dont mess with anything that's not broke you could end up in a worse position. when removing climate control panel disconnect the battery or it will flag an srs message.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 10:40   #37
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

discs and pads I went Brembo all round, 4 years later still on the same pads, checked reguarly and not running out yet (and it's an auto) no issues with warpage, pops your eyes out if you stamp on the brake too hard.. can't fault them

handbrake shoes though only use OEM is the conventional wisdom and obviously get all new springs, you might want to consider the in-hub expanders though there are arguments for and against every time it comes up, suffice to say I use them and I'm very happy with the set up

trasmission fluid has been done to death and filters are occasionally mentioned for applications of high temps or towing, etc.. I'm sure you'll find it using the search

same for the ignition ring light, I know I saw a discussion about that while back but searching now I can't put my finger (cursor) on it .. I know it's there somewhere with the right search term

AC far as Im told the only way to find leaks is get a professional to test it and they put dye in or something, or do vacuum tests, or whatever, it's not really something to mess with unless you have all the right kit and don't risk venting it to atmosphere by accident (guessing you probably already know that)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 25th, 2024 at 10:48.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 11:31   #38
pupley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
3 day subscription not available in the uk only usa and canada. software updates main dealer or independent with full vida subscription although some may be available with vdash at a cost. dont mess with anything that's not broke you could end up in a worse position. when removing climate control panel disconnect the battery or it will flag an srs message.
Good to know very helpful, Thank you! Is there a "cracked" Vida that lets you download firmware updates, or am I reading it wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
discs and pads I went Brembo all round, 4 years later still on the same pads, checked reguarly and not running out yet (and it's an auto) no issues with warpage, pops your eyes out if you stamp on the brake too hard.. can't fault them
Brembo it is.

Quote:
handbrake shoes though only use OEM is the conventional wisdom and obviously get all new springs, you might want to consider the in-hub expanders though there are arguments for and against every time it comes up, suffice to say I use them and I'm very happy with the set up
Good call. I do remember doing these on the P1 V70 now you mention it, including expanders.

Quote:
trasmission fluid has been done to death and filters are occasionally mentioned for applications of high temps or towing, etc.. I'm sure you'll find it using the search
Yes seen lots. sounds a straight forward exercise then.

Quote:
same for the ignition ring light
Great!

Quote:
AC far as Im told the only way to find leaks is get a professional to test it and they put dye in or something, or do vacuum tests, or whatever, it's not really something to mess with unless you have all the right kit and don't risk venting it to atmosphere by accident (guessing you probably already know that)
Yes I would defo go to an AC place. Used to do them all the time. Vac it out and see it if holds it first, if it did then drop the gas in and see if it holds pressure. If it didnt then use the sniffer and/or dye to locate leak. Will likely be one of if not the next last thing I do with any FW updates close to last too.

Thanks for the helpful comments.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 11:40   #39
4x4
Premier Member

Not sure there would be any benefit of updating modules now, whatever you have is around 20 years old and if it still works and isn't broken, it is best left as is.

Nitrogen test is the best way to check A/C for leaks

A/C will most likely have had dye put in during re-charge at some point in time so look for any greenish/yellowish leaks, especially around the compressor and any joints in the system.

Greenish/yellowish tinge on casing

Thermistor is easily checked/ replaced, what does Vida DTC say?

Antenna bulb replacement (Fitting an LED will still throw a code on Vida)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Discs &pads timing belt, water pump, tensioners, serpentine belt and tensioners oil, air, cabin filters, injector O-rings from FRF with forum discount code C3

Not recommended fitting LED bulbs inside
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 18:58   #40
pupley

That's another job done (possibly two)! New ABS ring on OSF axle fitted. It literally peeled off once it was accessible due to the crack it had. Cleared faults and I now have no faults reporting on the dash, ABS and Cruise now working again. All good!!

I only had to remove ABS sensor, undo the driveshaft retaining bolt in the middle of the axle and punch the driveshaft through with hammer and drift, and the upper stub axle bolt that goes into the bottom of the strut. Just cracked off the bottom bolt so it allowed the stub to tilt outward. Turned steering to full right lock and the driveshaft came free no problem. Plenty of clearance. However undoing that strut bolt without power/air tools wasn't easy as it was heavily corroded.

When clearing codes I also noticed the fault I thought was interior temp sensor, was actually CCM-0040 which is apparently the exterior air quality sensor (AQS)!

After clearing faults, this didn't come back. I had recently given the car a thorough wash during which I used an air line to blow out many areas including around bottom of windscreen, from leaves and gunk in the trims and grille areas etc. Ive seen where the sensor is, possibly I cleared some debris that was causing the fault? Or I haven't activated the recycle/fresh air control on the CCM yet to re-trigger the fault? This fault has been pretty persistent when i've cleared all faults previously so maybe i got a small win here.

This leaves just the light ring fault CEM-9C03 which ill get bulb for. And then the other items.

One job added to list though - interior air micro filter

Last edited by pupley; Apr 26th, 2024 at 19:13.