Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upper Ball Joints: Type/Size issue

Views : 1272

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 00:54   #1
gothamus

Default Upper Ball Joints: Type/Size issue

Hi Folks, I hope I can get some help here. I have a '65 Amazon.
The Issue:
I have been trying to replace my Upper Ball Joints. I purchased the wrong type first time. I bought the later type. [holding off on the story of me having the impression that this car is not a '66 the title says.] The later type is too big. So now I have bought the earlier type, with nozzle. The type in the car didn't have a grease nozzle, but I figured someone bought another manufacturer's. Installing today and, nope, it isn't fitting right.

The top portion that fits through the wishbone's hole doesn't make it all the way up. It screws in all the way. But there is a gap where the central fitting is rising through the hole. About a 1mm low. I thought I was having difficulty aligning things when fitting before I noticed it was securely bolted on. It looks like I need a cross between the old and new type. I don't seem to be finding this online anywhere. I looked for a previous posting here, but nothing came up regarding this. Anyone know what the deal is here? I am posting a few pictures showing my collection. The center one is what I am pulling off the car.

Also- I was not expecting there to be no rubber boot and circlip to seal things on this early type. The joint has a thick rubber seat that I guess tightens together when installed. It was sold as a 'kit', which came with the nuts and bolts, which gives me the impression that's just how they did it then.

I have to move my car across the street or down the block by Tuesday morning. Since this tightens up and the hub isn't coming off, do you guys think it would be fine to drive around the block?

Thanks for any knowledge and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (46.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.jpg (193.6 KB, 33 views)
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote